Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Was surprised by the Anita substitution as I thought he was arguably our best player second half but I can see why he did it, just a shame Cisse is dogshit at the minute and baring worth bringing on.

An honest question as I didn't see the game, was working, but do you think we'd have played with the same intensity and passion had that goal not been disallowed? I.e. we're we just going through the usual motions and that sparked us into life?

I only ask because its a criticism of Pardew that he can't motivate a team and that's why we only seem motivated against better opposition (the players self motivating) and so our motivation for this game was the objectionable refereeing.

Or did Pardew just get it right and we play it right from the off?

We started well, then City scored with their first attack, after that we had a period of 10-15 minutes where we looked poor before we got back into the game. From around 25 minutes, we were by far the better team, so it wasn't just the non-goal that got us going.

Was surprised by the Anita substitution as I thought he was arguably our best player second half but I can see why he did it, just a shame Cisse is dogshit at the minute and baring worth bringing on.

Anita was superb, as were a few others, and as you rightly say probably our best player today, but we had to try something different at that time.

An honest question as I didn't see the game, was working, but do you think we'd have played with the same intensity and passion had that goal not been disallowed? I.e. we're we just going through the usual motions and that sparked us into life?

I only ask because its a criticism of Pardew that he can't motivate a team and that's why we only seem motivated against better opposition (the players self motivating) and so our motivation for this game was the objectionable refereeing.

Or did Pardew just get it right and we play it right from the off?

That's a good question and I would say that the injustice really seemed to galvanise the crowd and the rest of the match was old fashioned "we're Geordies we're mental" type stuff.  Great atmosphere thereafter and fantastic support.

The saying goes that luck evens out over a season, I'm sceptical on that one myself, but there was certainly a payback of sorts today for whatever luck Pardew may have enjoyed this season.

True enough. I think we are where we deserve to be now, well behind the top six, but comfortably in the top ten. I don't think you can say Pardew did good or bad today, on the whole we put in a decent performance, especially the midfield lads. Up front we still look well short. Pardew will be judged on our next two games against the hammers and Sunderland. Those will be far more high pressure games where we have a lot more to lose, so let's hope we are on our mettle.

a) I don't think that decision today was luck

b) what luck have we had this season ?

a) OK but there is certainly a case for us being being unlucky due to being on the wrong end of that decision. And that is whether the decision was down to that particular interpretation of the offside rule, incompetence or some other darker reason.

b) Thought we were lucky to get 3 points at Spurs of the top of my head. However just to make it clear I don't subscribe to the view (as some do) that Pardew is a fluke magnet. 

a) OK but there is certainly a case for us being being unlucky due to being on the wrong end of that decision. And that is whether the decision was down to that particular interpretation of the offside rule, incompetence or some other darker reason.

b) Thought we were lucky to get 3 points at Spurs of the top of my head. However just to make it clear I don't subscribe to the view (as some do) that Pardew is a fluke magnet. 

I can only put luck down to decisions, that decision today was that bad I don't think it was luck. i honestly don't think it would have happened the other way round.

V spurs we had a goalkeeper in form and they had poor finishing, thats not luck.

I thought Pardew did areet today and didn't have many complaints - I'd have played a different starting 11 (Haidara and Ben Arfa starting) and got Ben Arfa on quicker but I don't think pointing that out means I'm blaming him for the result or whatever.  We more than matched the best team in the country for long periods, so fair do's.  Said similar after the Arsenal game too really.

Really?  Howay man - you're better than that, that's Brett stuff mate. :lol:

After the Stoke result I realised we couldn't win well unless it was impeccable.

I think people were just pointing out that it wasn't looking good before a crazy 5 minute period where 2 players got sent off, a penalty was given, we got away with Williamson's handball before scoring, etc.  I was at the match and was really pleased with our application second half, but you're always going to get people talking about positives and negatives after a match.  Ignoring the fact we looked toothless for 40 minutes then the game turned would be weirder IMO, but everyone's different.

Norwich handed us both goals in our win. Cardiff we had a deflection for the first goal, and against Stoke we were woeful until they started losing players through players getting sent off for no good reason.

Norwich handed us both goals in our win. Cardiff we had a deflection for the first goal, and against Stoke we were woeful until they started losing players through players getting sent off for no good reason.

if we do it it's not because we were unlucky, it's because we f***ed up. luck is when an outside agency affects the game in a cackhanded mannner.

like I say today wasn't bad luck, that decision would never have gone against man city.

if we do it it's not because we were unlucky, it's because we f***ed up. luck is when an outside agency affects the game in a cackhanded mannner.

like I say today wasn't bad luck, that decision would never have gone against man city.

Well I thought we were talking about luck. The incidents I mentioned were about luck, whereas the Tiote goal being chalked off was anything but.