Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Didn't hear it myself but didn't he basically say "We've had bad news too, so today's been pretty shit."

Not "We've had some bad news and it might have contributed to the shit performance?"

But why bring it in to the public arena? Does it need to be known by public audience?

I can only assume the interviewer asked him specifically if anyone had died today.

Didn't hear it myself but didn't he basically say "We've had bad news too, so today's been pretty shit."

Not "We've had some bad news and it might have contributed to the shit performance?"

But why bring it in to the public arena? Does it need to be known by public audience?

That's a very different objection to what's being accused of: using it as an excuse to hide behind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26164013

1:33

Q: How difficult is this spell at the moment?

AP: Well it's difficult, it's testing. We've had some really bad news today on a personal level and then the game as well, it's been a tough day but, you know in terms of where I am with the players I've made it clear to them their responsibilities to the fans and this city and that needs to be reflected in the next game. That's the only thing we can do.

Obviously horrendous news (and RIP Mr. Carver) but the cynic in me immediately says is there any need to bring that up? Maybe I'm just being harsh but...

I'm with you. Horrible news. But shouldn't be brought up to us (general public).

AP: Well it's difficult, it's testing. We've had some really bad news today on a personal level and then the game as well, it's been a tough day but you know, in terms of where I am with the players I've made it clear to them their responsibilities to the fans and to this city and that needs to be reflected in the next game. That's the only thing we can do.

So just generally lamenting this period in time.

That's a very different objection to what's being accused of: using it as an excuse to hide behind.

OK, I've narrowed it down to two, left or right?

http://i57.tinypic.com/21kjhpf.png

AP: Well it's difficult, it's testing. We've had some really bad news today on a personal level and then the game as well, it's been a tough day but you know, in terms of where I am with the players I've made it clear to them their responsibilities to the fans and to this city and that needs to be reflected in the next game. That's the only thing we can do.

Yeah, that's why I posted:

Oddly mentions in his BBC interview that 'we've had some really bad news today on a personal level', and that with the game as well it's been a really tough day.

No twisting from me.

Yeah, that's why I posted:

Oddly mentions in his BBC interview that 'we've had some really bad news today on a personal level', and that with the game as well it's been a really tough day.

No twisting from me.

And I mentioned it's an odd thing to bring in to the public domain.

So he needs to explicitly say "Reason X led to result or bad period of form Y"? :lol:

I'd say if someone rattles off a list of negative happenings when questioned about something then you can justifiably say they're being put forward as reasons (or "excuses") for what they're being questioned about.

Guest neesy111

Absolutely no reason to mention it at all, unless you wanting to use it as another side excuse imo as it would had made one iota difference to tonight.  This ranks for me alongside Souness's family more important press conference back in the day.

Explains why I was seeing Steve Stone's bald head all the time tonight.

"Of course I'm not happy. This is a game where you as a manager, expect life and limb on the football pitch.

"As a player, that's what I gave; that's what I expect my players to give in every moment in every game.

"I don't care what the scoreline is, I don't care what the scenario is, that's what I expect and that's what these fans expect.

"If you drop down from that, then you are going to suffer a game like that."

Luckily tonight was a one-off. Oh, wait.

I'm less concerned about them "giving life and limb" and more concerned about them looking disgustingly shit at football.

One for the football pet hates thread for me - people moaning about "passion" and the like. I've never watched Man City (2008-) or Arsenal or Barcelona or one of the excellent Newcastle teams and come away thinking that they've won their latest game at a canter because of passion.

I'm less concerned about them "giving life and limb" and more concerned about them looking disgustingly shit at football.

One for the football pet hates thread for me - people moaning about "passion" and the like. I've never watched Man City (2008-) or Arsenal or Barcelona or one of the excellent Newcastle teams and come away thinking that they've won their latest game at a canter because of passion.

It's just a tired excuse tbh, fans use it even more than managers do. False platitudes to avoid the fact that we're atrociously coached and organised resulting in the shit on a stick football we play.

So he needs to explicitly say "Reason X led to result or bad period of form Y"? :lol:

I'd say if someone rattles off a list of negative happenings when questioned about something then you can justifiably say they're being put forward as reasons (or "excuses") for what they're being questioned about.

pardew is paid to be the manager of a football club with 1,000's of weekly paying customers and a reasonably high national (ex-european) profile, why shouldn't his public utterances be looked at and analysed?  they would in many other walks of life, never mind other sports

mourinho can talk shit 'cause of what he's achieved and the fact his team are challenging for the title, pards not so much

i'd expect it from savvy fans of any club tbh, if tony pulis was talking about playing like barcelona every week as his team launched the ball up to peter crouch while rushing headlong to relegation i'd have expected stoke fans to be somewhat interested in the lack of alignment between what he says and does

the man is a fucking gobshite, and a shit manager to go with it

OK. So it's not Pardew's dad, it's Pardew's assistant's dad who has died.

Sure, it's sad. Of course it is. But ask yourself:

Your bosses secretary's father dies. Is your day fucked up because of it? Are you so distraught by this news that you cannot perform to the best of your abilities?

Fuck off!

Utter bollocks.

Unless you're infiinitely closer to your bosses lackeys than I am to mine then you're unlikely to give even two shits about this. Utter smokescreen and complete pile of horseshit.