Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest tollemache

Is there anything to suggest they'd do that, or did a journalist pull it out of his bottom? Ah, just seen Paul Ince. Interesting

Guest tollemache

Having looked at the Ince thing, I think it's on a bit of another level. He'd already been sent off, then went after an official after the game and threatened to knock him out. I could just about imagine them punishing Pardew like that, I suppose, but I don't think it's likely.

Guest neesy111

A stadium ban to a manager, something that's never happened in the Premier League.  Was always going to be back page news.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10671797/Newcastle-manager-Alan-Pardew-should-be-banned-until-next-season-following-headbutt-on-Hulls-David-Meyler.html

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew should be banned until next season following headbutt on Hull's David Meyler

The FA must act decisively and ban Allan Pardew, the Newcastle manager, from football stadiums until next season to retain its credibility

By Henry Winter

9:47PM GMT 02 Mar 2014

No ifs, no butts can be tolerated. This is no time for FA clemency.

Following his assault on Hull City’s David Meyler, Newcastle United’s manager Alan Pardew has to be banished from the country’s stadia until next season. Not just from the dugout but from the ground. Ten games in Purdah will make Pardew appreciate the need to control his match-day volatility, and also remind impressionable characters further down the footballing pyramid that violence is unacceptable.

This sad story is not simply a Premier League affair. Footage of a leading manager losing his self-restraint and headbutting an opponent will also strike fear into those who work in the grass-roots, who know that what is seen on Match of the Day can be copied on a Sunday morning on public parks. Any glance at county FA disciplinary records reveals issues with aggressive behaviour.

Pardew does not only have a responsibility to Newcastle, and his union, the League Managers Association. He also has a duty, whether he likes it or not, to English football and needs to understand that his conduct can shape behaviour elsewhere.

To his credit, Pardew accepts he has erred badly. He has shown contrition. He has been fined by Newcastle and given a formal warning. He can possibly count himself fortunate not to have been dismissed for gross misconduct. He has hardly always seen eye to eye with his employer, Mike Ashley. Pardew’s headbutt would have provided – and still could if Ashley’s mood changes – an easy excuse to terminate his contract, avoiding a hefty pay-off.

Pardew now talks of the need to remove himself from the bear-pit of the dugout, calming down, and his wish will be granted by the FA. It will not go easy on Pardew. It has brought such embarrassment on itself with the independent tribunal’s lax punishment of Nicolas Anelka for using an English stage to make an anti-semitic gesture. It cannot afford its disciplinary process to be discredited again. The Government is watching.

The initial indication was that Pardew was facing a five-game stadium ban. The FA has to consider that Pardew’s headbutt would bring a swift P45 in most work-places, would bring police action if executed on the street outside the KC Stadium, and clearly has to transmit a message that managers headbutting people cannot be allowed.

He has previous. Pushing an assistant referee last season, swearing at Manuel Pellegrini this season, uttering comments as fourth officials come near, Pardew is a spiky, niggly and annoying character when entering the dugout. It is as if the white lines of the technical area resemble the walls of a jail and he rails against those outside. He is a competitive individual, his body language reflecting the rise and fall of a game’s fortunes. That desire to win helps make Pardew a good manager, but he can cross the line, that edge becoming too sharp, cutting him and others.

There is a Jekyll and Hyde element to Pardew. He made a generous, private donation to Sir Bobby Robson’s cancer foundation when I lost a forfeit after criticising him and Ashley and had to swim the Tyne. Away from the dugout, Pardew is thoughtful, considered company who can take and make a joke at his own expense.

Newcastle's season shows Pardew can organise and as one of the few English managers in the Premier League, the FA would love to see him succeed rather than banish him. When the FA eventually comes to choosing Roy Hodgson’s successor, assuming the organisation remains wedded to the concept of an Englishman in charge, Pardew would have been one of the few English candidates. Not now. His headbutt carries short-term and long-term ramifications.

As Pardew contemplates whether he requires anger-management lessons, learning how to channel emotions more positively, football also needs to look at itself. The very nature of the Premier League is its adversarial nature; there are the assorted Respect campaigns, the handshakes, but the media which pays the piper also loves the controversy, the whiff of cordite, and cameras are trained on the dugout to enhance drama sold lucratively around the world.

New cameras came in this season, focused exclusively on the dugout. The FA should consider technical-area dynamics while also remembering that most managers curb their anger. Pardew didn’t and will pay the price. No ifs, no butts.

But no-one is going OTT about it...  :whistle:

It's the Daily Star.

Other media also from what I have seen/heard.

The problem on here is a lot are so defensive you can't say anything without some thinking it is directed at them.

Ok so the club does as you say. If (as we are led to believe) Pardew has a contract which still has several years left to run there would be millions of pounds at stake and Pardew would appoint a top legal team. The club says it was gross misconduct, the legal team will say it wasn't. They would look at the footage and say Pardew had the opportunity to cause physical harm to the Hull player if he had wanted to, but he didn't.  They would say it was just posturing. They would probably question the definition of gross misconduct in a sport where the boundaries are, to say the least, unclear and not defined. They would site other examples of aggression within the game that have not resulted in sackings for gross misconduct - both by players and managers. The club would have a problem winning the case imo.

Bollocks would the club have a problem of winning a case, they would only have to produce press clippings to prove that he's brought the club into serious disrepute, what other managers have done is irrelevant as our club has no control over other managers and what other clubs do.  I'm not bound to let somebody off just because another company does nothing about a certain offence.  If Pardew had somebody saying he was just posturing the club would only have to show the BBC footage and the case would be over.

If this went to court an expert legal defence team would question every single aspect of the case. I can assure you from personal experience that examples of what happens elsewhere in the football industry would be extremely relevant in determining a definition of gross misconduct.

http://i.imgur.com/2onD3uI.png

http://i.imgur.com/GaM1oBz.png

Horror attack. :lol:

so good to see the media responding in a thoughtful and enlightened way......................horror attack, by christ I despise the media.