Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm surprised to learn that Ian thinks there has been an overreaction to the Pardew headbutt incident.

Thankfully he posted his opinion - otherwise I might never have known.

:lol:

Like everyone else's opinion is wildly unpredictable.

FWIW my opinion on this is nothing to do with the fact it's Pardew. I've said the same thing in the past about these childish overreactions.

If he resigned  :smitten:

:lol: Considered it for a split second and now it's all I hope will happen.

He can't cope with the slightest bit of criticism from media/fans, so it's possible I suppose.  Howay the witch hunt.

God, could you even imagine it.

Wonder what the reaction would be if someone like Allardyce or Redknapp had headbutted someone?  Assume some would be really pissed off about the overreaction of the press.  And before you say it, Pardew has the press in his back pocket just as much as those 2, and neither of those have such previous form either.

Anyone consider that whatever sanction the FA impose may alter the clubs perspective on Pardews position?

Maybe. Even if Ashley was looking for an excuse to sack Pardew - and that's debatable - if they had done after two wins and a decent league position by their standards, everyone would be saying they got rid of a manager who was doing a good job. Any new manager coming in would then be under more pressure.

Was just thinking the same, Interpolic. Imagine if Di Canio had nutted one of our players?

It would have been perfectly acceptable and we would have all played it down.  In fact we would have all been writing to the FA asking them to limit any punishment.

my reaction would have been tied to the severity of the headbutt tbh. barest of lovetaps ala pardew and I'd condemn it but laugh all the same. draw blood/break nose and I'd be fuming.

It's not any way for a manger to act regardless.

What the rest of the world says doesn't really matter because the one person whose opinion means anything is fully behind him.

Not necessarily fully behind him, a formal warning is a first step on the ladder if you want a watertight and no compensation dismissal.

Of course he's fully behind him, he was gifted a sacking without compensation and he's passed on it and I doubt he'll ever get that opportunity again.

Ashley wasn't gifted a sacking without compensation. If he sacked Pardew for what happened on Saturday the club would end up in a tribunal and losing mainly because they hadn't followed the correct procedure. Employment law is a bitch if you want to sack someone and not pay up.  When I said "not necessarily" I was raising the possibility that Ashley isn't totally committed to Pardew. It is a possible explanation for Kinnear's appointment.

I'm surprised to learn that Ian thinks there has been an overreaction to the Pardew headbutt incident.

Thankfully he posted his opinion - otherwise I might never have known.

:lol:

Like everyone else's opinion is wildly unpredictable.

FWIW my opinion on this is nothing to do with the fact it's Pardew. I've said the same thing in the past about these childish overreactions.

What childish overreactions are you talking about here?

I think he might well get a stadium ban for the rest of the season.  It is not as if any FA action against him is going to have an impact on our season.

I also wish the club had announced they were donating the fine to a charity so that we would know for sure that he had been fined and that it doesn't just go to improve the bank balance.

Guest tollemache

Good idea about the fine going to charity.

Yes Pardew was a total dick and stepped well outside the boundaries of reasonable behaviour for a manager, but it really was blokey handbags and unworthy of much further discussion, save to say a fine and a touchline ban are inevitable. I think it's possible to hold those two opinions at once. He didn't try to stick the nut on him whatsoever, he did that awful thing we've seen millions of times on the pitch where they put their heads together and one pushes the other away. It's cringeworthy to the max but that's all.

What the rest of the world says doesn't really matter because the one person whose opinion means anything is fully behind him.

Not necessarily fully behind him, a formal warning is a first step on the ladder if you want a watertight and no compensation dismissal.

Of course he's fully behind him, he was gifted a sacking without compensation and he's passed on it and I doubt he'll ever get that opportunity again.

Ashley wasn't gifted a sacking without compensation. If he sacked Pardew for what happened on Saturday the club would end up in a tribunal and losing mainly because they hadn't followed the correct procedure. Employment law is a bitch if you want to sack someone and not pay up.  When I said "not necessarily" I was raising the possibility that Ashley isn't totally committed to Pardew. It is a possible explanation for Kinnear's appointment.

I agree. Even if Ashley wanted to sack Pardew, it would have looked bad if he'd done it following that incident. If we'd lost at home last week against Villa it would have been a lot easier.

Good idea about the fine going to charity.

Yes Pardew was a total dick and stepped well outside the boundaries of reasonable behaviour for a manager, but it really was blokey handbags and unworthy of much further discussion, save to say a fine and a touchline ban are inevitable. I think it's possible to hold those two opinions at once. He didn't try to stick the nut on him whatsoever, he did that awful thing we've seen millions of times on the pitch where they put their heads together and one pushes the other away. It's cringeworthy to the max but that's all.

:thup: Although you agreeing me will instantly destroy my argument but it is what it is :lol:

I thought it a far worse incident for the fact that it's not as if Meyler was getting in Pardew's face and that was the reaction, he actively went after him and caused the situation.  He had a moment to walk away with the player going off to take the throw-in, but he chose to do that instead.

I agree. Even if Ashley wanted to sack Pardew, it would have looked bad if he'd done it following that incident. If we'd lost at home last week against Villa it would have been a lot easier.

If we had a loss against Villa Ashley would still have to pay off his contract to get rid of him though.

He did something we've seen players do before, but I personally think it's very different when it's the manager. He's the most important man at the club and also the biggest representative.

Players shouldn't do it. Managers? Sack.

Agenda? I dunno, I don't think so. It's easier to have this opinion with it being a manager I really don't rate, I suppose.

I thought it a far worse incident for the fact that it's not as if Meyler was getting in Pardew's face and that was the reaction, he actively went after him and caused the situation.  He had a moment to walk away with the player going off to take the throw-in, and that's what he chose to do.

Not sure what Pardew's game is tbh. Whether he is trying to get the boot or thinks he is playing up to the crowd :dontknow:

I thought it a far worse incident for the fact that it's not as if Meyler was getting in Pardew's face and that was the reaction, he actively went after him and caused the situation.  He had a moment to walk away with the player going off to take the throw-in, and that's what he chose to do.

Not sure what Pardew's game is tbh. Whether he is trying to get the boot or thinks he is playing up to the crowd :dontknow:

I suspect the second of those two.

Be amazed if it's not the 100% latter.

Most of his touchline antics seem to be involved in getting the crowd onside or winning (and usually failing) petty battles with the opposition bench.

When it comes down to it he loses his mind in the situation and is generally a classless bloke below all his PR bravado that he has when he has time to come up with a measured response.

He did something we've seen players do before, but I personally think it's very different when it's the manager. He's the most important man at the club and also the biggest representative.

Players shouldn't do it. Managers? Sack.

Agenda? I dunno, I don't think so. It's easier to have this opinion with it being a manager I really don't rate, I suppose.

:thup: Put words in my mouth there.

Guest tollemache

Yep, it exacerbates things slightly that Pardew went after him but... it's still blokey handbags. Just slightly more premeditated blokey handbags. It was a classless thing to do, no doubt, but not exactly a Cantona or a Di Canio moment, which you'd think it was judging by some of the hysterical reaction. Not nearly as bad as Mourinho poking a Barca coach in the eye, for example.

Guest tollemache

As for his motivation, I've no doubt that in his head he really was Mourinho, pushing things to the max with his psychopathic will to win, fighting and scrapping along with his players. Except in reality he was just a Cockney builder being a nuisance.