Manchester Utd 0 - 1 Newcastle Utd - 07/12/13 - Post-match euphoria from p29

Greg

You can guarantee most Man Utd fans will remember this start to the season in the same way other fans remember a relegation season. "I stuck around when Moyes was doing shit". My friends try and tell me how bad they have it, they've no fucking idea. I'd love to see them end up like Liverpool with no league titles for years and years, or even better, no trophies, but it's not going to happen, I think they're too big to have failure long term. Moyes will get it right, and if he doesn't someone else will.

Guest icemanblue

Enjoyed .com's match report

:thup: It's class. For those that haven't, read it:

Finally.

Richard Nixon was in the White House. The miners were on strike. Prisoner number 46664 endured his seventh year detained on Robben Island. T-Rex topped both the UK singles and albums charts. And, your correspondent was counting down the days to his fifth birthday; completely oblivious to the fact that Newcastle United won a football match at Old Trafford. Against Manchester United.

41 years and 10 months later, there have been seven successors to Tricky Dicky. There are no miners to strike. Nelson Mandela lived to enjoy his long walk to freedom. Marc Bolan's last big hit was a tree on Barnes Common. And, your correspondent is deliriously aware of the fact Newcastle United won a football match at Old Trafford. Against Manchester United.

32 games in all competitions. Sunny days. Dark nights. Terraces. Fences. Seats. The Doc, Dave Sexton, Big Fat Ron, Fergie. Donkey jackets. Lacoste. Prog Rock. Punk. Acid House. God knows what else. Wait for the football paper. Watch goals on phones - they never did that on Tomorrow's World.

There have of course been near misses: none more so than the last visit here, when The Magpies led three times before succumbing - or the April 1998 visit, when Rob Lee was cynically chopped down by Ole Gunnar Solksjaer as he bore down on goal to score what would surely be a winner.

On the eve of his third anniversary in charge, Alan Pardew made one change from the side that had meekly surrendered a four match winning record at Swansea three days earlier. Out went Shola Ameobi and in came Vurnon Anita for a first League start since the loss at Everton in September.

Clad in their Brazilian-styled change kit, the visitors set about hassling and harrying the home side, no doubt mindful of the indifferent form of David Moyes' side on their own patch that contributed to their ninth position in the table at kickoff - two places below Newcastle.

An opening 45 minutes saw the Red Devils do little to suggest they'd recovered from a 0-1 loss here to Everton in midweek. That was despite the return of Robin van Persie, whose lack-lustre display hinted at both fitness and attitude issues and failed to compensate for the absence of top scorer Wayne Rooney due to suspension.

The out-of-sorts Dutchman gave his compatriot/adversary, Tim Krul, very few problems all game and like his colleagues was nullified by some excellent work by the Newcastle midfield, who collectively were infinitely more coherent, committed and competitive than at the Liberty Stadium. 

That was despite the early involvement of Yohan Cabaye, who seemed intent on picking up his fifth yellow card of the season and duly had referee Andre Marriner rummaging in his pocket after barely eight minutes. That led to some half-joking comments that our number 4 was been indulging in some spot fixing - or had already penciled in a visit to the Lille Christmas market next weekend....

Pardew's instructions were evident from the start; stifle and frustrate denying the home side space and time. That ploy that worked well in the first half and saw Krul forced to smother just one shot; Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson block goal-bound efforts during one goalmouth scramble.

After the break, the Red Devils upped their efforts and Patrice Evra had a header that hit the post before Anita cleared off the line; TV replays showing the ball striking his left arm. Thankfully though, it was a case of no Fergie - no problem: Marriner and his assistants stubbornly refusing to revert to type here. Just be thankful it wasn't Howard Webb - unlike Wednesday, he'd have seen that one.

With a Carrick-less home side beginning to find some momentum, the arrival of Hatem Ben Arfa for Yoan Gouffran posted notice that Newcastle's intentions were greater than a point and the newly- introduced substitute was instrumental in his side regaining lost territory upfield, benefiting from the relative calmness of a spell in possession.

The decisive moment came just after the hour when Cabaye drove home Sissoko's low centre, but the first major heart-stopping moment came when van Persie was denied a headed equaliser by an excellent offside decision from assistant Sian Massey.

At that point - and with the clock continuing to tick down nicely - thoughts turned to the notion that maybe, just perhaps, somehow this could finally be our day. Home followers unused to such eventualities were starting to drift away from their seats by the 75th minute, but the concern remained that something would arrive to interrupt our reverie with a brutal dose of reality.

Shola Ameobi replaced Cabaye and proceeded to frustrate the home side by winning various free kicks and corners, but mounting levels of antagonism evident from David Moyes in his technical area weren't mirrored by his players, who singularly failed to mount the expected late charge forward.

And then added time was up, the final whistle blown and a mass outpouring of emotion manifested itself in an orgy of clapping, fist pumping and bellowing skywards. And that was just John Carver. One of those times for hugging strangers and waking up the next day with unexplained bruising.

This is why you keep going, for that one time when the planets magically align and we won. Forget that the assembled media informed the planet that Manchester United lost and aren't very good at present. We won. Ignore the fact that one national newspaper mentioned the name of the team that actually won this match today precisely once in their report. We won.

This was a reward for every missed connection, diversion and delay, or fuming when surrounded by tourists clad in Red Devils kits with price tickets still on, celebrating a win over your team. It's claimed that a Manchester United fan in Kenya killed himself over this result. No. that's a man who owns a Manchester United shirt. Which was probably counterfeit. Enough.

Whatever comes to pass before next May, we'll recall this as the season when a great weight was lifted from our shoulders. Breaking the Stamford Bridge hoodoo in 2012 was a momentous occasion, but cracking the curse of Old Trafford is genuinely uplifting. Just a cup now. No pressure lads.

We'll close with an appropriate phrase from Fergie back in May 1999:

Football. Bloody Hell.

Can't let this thread drop down too low. Keep on winding up the two Man Utd fans at work, the latest edition is a copy of the table with "<LOL" pointing at Manchester United. Quick response from one of them, "I've deleted it without looking - it's childish and boring now".

They're really hating it as much as I'm loving it. Still like an excited little child sending group emails around the office with links to various different match reports. Their pain is clear to see, the most beautiful of sights.

You can guarantee most Man Utd fans will remember this start to the season in the same way other fans remember a relegation season. "I stuck around when Moyes was doing shit". My friends try and tell me how bad they have it, they've no fucking idea. I'd love to see them end up like Liverpool with no league titles for years and years, or even better, no trophies, but it's not going to happen, I think they're too big to have failure long term. Moyes will get it right, and if he doesn't someone else will.

Conspiracy theories ahoy :D but the league needs them to be succesful. I mean the people in suits. The thought of hundreds of millions of people across Asia switching allegiances to Real Madrid, or more likely back to Real Madrid, must have Scudamore and all those chimps arses nipping up. 

Can't let this thread drop down too low. Keep on winding up the two Man Utd fans at work, the latest edition is a copy of the table with "<LOL" pointing at Manchester United. Quick response from one of them, "I've deleted it without looking - it's childish and boring now".

They're really hating it as much as I'm loving it. Still like an excited little child sending group emails around the office with links to various different match reports. Their pain is clear to see, the most beautiful of sights.

FFS just let the thread drop (I know irony in me bumping it by replying)  we won 1-0, once. They've beaten us plenty times at there place by much bigger scores. This kinda post sounds like something we would deride the dirty mackems for (before they regularity started beating us) 2-1 FTM.

Enjoy the victory by all means but lets move on, it's just one of a lot of good results for us this season. Makes us sound a little small time tbh.

Enjoy the victory by all means but lets move on, it's just one of a lot of good results for us this season. Makes us sound a little small time tbh.

What i was laughed at for saying on Saturday, when we celebrated like winning a cup.

Oh fuck i've gone and bumped it again.

FFS just let the thread drop (I know irony in me bumping it by replying)  we won 1-0, once. They've beaten us plenty times at there place by much bigger scores. This kinda post sounds like something we would deride the dirty mackems for (before they regularity started beating us) 2-1 FTM.

No chance. Suffered too much pain from them bastards to not enjoy this one for as long as possible.

While I tend to agree, if people want to enjoy it just let them. Not doing any harm  O0