Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Bearing in mind our two defenders not registerd have prem experience, played together, some championship club could see them as a job lot, a ready made pair, half a ready made defence, anyone after that could be said to be Looking for Lewis and Clark

Edited by madras

32 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Have criticised Howe expecting him to favour Clark over Fernandez but very pleased to see he’s dropped Clark from the squad rather than him.

I do question the decision to omit Lewis for Ritchie though. Think it’s really harsh and I’m disappointed Lewis is seemingly never going to get a chance after being thrown in a Bruce shit show.

This will likely come across

a bit controversial/mental, but I actually think Ritchie can play a role for us this season. If we’re 2-0 up with say 20 minutes to play, he’d be a good wide midfielder to just help us retain possession and bring the game to stalemate. He’s got good feet in tight spots and with Bruno, Trippier, Burn and Targett in the team we would be much better retaining possession for the sake of it against some teams.

I appreciate this is a pretty niche use and it’s a big if that we’ve got a lead to protect but I can see a little value in Ritchie for that reason. 

Just now, greydos said:

a bit controversial/mental, but I actually think Ritchie can play a role for us this season. If we’re 2-0 up with say 20 minutes to play, he’d be a good wide midfielder to just help us retain possession and bring the game to stalemate. He’s got good feet in tight spots and with Bruno, Trippier, Burn and Targett in the team we would be much better retaining possession for the sake of it against some teams.

I appreciate this is a pretty niche use and it’s a big if that we’ve got a lead to protect but I can see a little value in Ritchie for that reason. 

I’ve spotted a flaw in your logic.

I'm honestly mystified that Clark and Lewis didn't agree to go out on loan. Would really love to know why. Not like their wage would have been affected. 

Worry about the effect of them stinking up the place and sulking. Last thing the squad needs. 

1 hour ago, greydos said:

Also he can swing in a decent cross on occasion and most of our attackers (Fraser and Tripper aside) are more inverted, so this might be a useful plan C now we have some big lumps to aim for.

1 hour ago, Yassassin said:

3-4-3 isn’t it? On what’s available 

On what's available I'd say 4-3-3 is best with Shelvey in the hole and Guimaraes and Joelinton in midfield. If we got Carlos/ Botman and a LM like Gosens, 3-4-3 would be best. We could still do 3-4-3 as Burn can play LCB.

Will be tough between now and the end of the season, just hope we can string some results together to build momentum. 

Seen that Michael Ndiweni has seemingly been training with the first team all week. Anyone know much about him? Seems he's scored a fair few for the youth team but that doesn't always mean much. 

I'm guessing because we failed to get another Striker in Howe has chose to protect one from within.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Think we need to focus on consolidation, with the season after in mind.

Our current 25 man squad is:

1 Martin Dúbravka 

3 Paul Dummett 

5 Fabian Schär      Double his salary for a year

6 Jamaal Lascelles 

7 Joelinton             

8 Jonjo Shelvey     

9 Callum Wilson 

10 Allan Saint-Maximin 

11 Matt Ritchie 

13 Matt Targett     Sign permanent deal

15 Kieran Trippier 

17 Emil Krafth 

18 Federico Fernández 

19 Javier Manquillo 

20 Chris Wood 

21 Ryan Fraser 

23 Jacob Murphy 

24 Miguel Almirón 

26 Karl Darlow 

28 Joe Willock 

29 Mark Gillespie 

33 Dan Burn 

34 Dwight Gayle 

36 Sean Longstaff 

39 Bruno Guimarães      

This gives us 9 spaces in the squad. In order of priority:

We need a keeper, obviously. Not a first team priority because I'm happy enough to continue with Dubs. But getting rid of Darlow and Gillespie leaves us short on back-up. Woodman may be back, of course, but we need somebody of equal quality, or better than Dubs. Happy to have a youngster come in for a year or two, but got to be somebody that can step in. Should be looking at somebody that can replace Dubs in the next year.

Right Wing. We need a huge improvement in technical ability out there and I would be prepared to break the bank, or take a punt on a free superstar, bugger the wage structure. I'd double Bruno's salary for next season anyway. Almiron should be adequate back-up/competition for next season.

Forward. If we get the right [Salah] player for the RW then we might train ASM to do the Firmino job, which would give us a different option. But we definitely need a goalscorer that can stay fit. Again, somebody that can come in as back-up/competition, with a view to taking over the following year.

Midfield. If we get the right players, mentioned above, then we really don't need to do too much to the midfield. But if we can get good deals on those positions, I'd be hell-bent on Bruno's mate Cannibaga. A midfield three of Bruno, Cannibaga and Willock/Shelvey, with dynamic attackers in front, would be immense.

Defense. I wouldn't change the first team back four. There's maybe an error or two in there, still, but we're sound with these four. But I do like that Trippier lad and think he could make us even better, so I'd probably make that change and keep Krafth as the back up. But we're short on cover at LB and Schar and Burn will likely need improving upon the following year.

So there you go. We have 9 spots with 7 priorities. That shouldn't upset the harmony, too much. Get to it Amanda and Eddie.

Edited by Happinesstan

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

That would leave us with Burn, Schar and Krafth as our centre half options.

We would need to hang onto Lascelles and bring in another CB.

No. I've included their cover/replacement in the 7 players we need.

Guest HTT II

OK, players I’d like us to sign who I think are realistic and would not just give us the quality spine we need, but also add to the group in every other way too…

Left-back:

Targett (Aston Villa)

Need I say any more. Just sign the lad, he’s 7/10 every week. A reported agreed 15m fee has been initially agreed, great business if so!

Central defence:

Ake (Man City and Holland)

Left sided/left footed centre-back (although he is two footed) with pace, technical ability, a good range of passing, height and physicality and who can also play left-back and a defensive midfield role. He has worked with Howe before and was top notch at Bournemouth so much so that Man City gave them double their outlay on him. I reckon if we gave City their money back they would be tempted. He has PL experience, is relatively young, has all the attributes and has represented Holland at every level. He’s a leader too, vocal and composed on the ball. Signing him would give us depth in other areas if needed and allow us to play higher up the pitch due to his pace and also allow us to play out from the back. You could say he’s a poor man’s van Dyke, but that’s no criticism, given how good the Liverpool man is.

Central Midfield:

Phillips (Leeds and England)

He would add defensive steel and high pressing energy to our midfield and simple give and go passing which would free up Bruno and also help protect the back four. He’s not a deep lying sit on top of the defence type of defensive player, he likes to press and break up play in higher up the pitch areas in a way Joelinton has done very well for us in that kind of role, but he’s much more refined and consistent. A prime Henderson for Liverpool basically. He’s young, has a great attitude and is an England regular. The fees being quoted seem to be 50m + for him, half the price of say Declan Rice which he is similar too, although lacks his passing range. Bruno for me is not a defensive midfielder, he’s a playmaker and can become a box to box goalscorer for us as he’s already showing. With Phillips in that engine room it frees him up even more. He is proven in this league too which is important and again of sound character, work ethic and professionalism. 

Wide (right) attacking winger/forward:

Raphinha (Leeds and Brazil)

A wide right winger/forward with pace, technical ability and ball carrying skills who scores and creates goals, 16 goals in 60 + appearances for Leeds. He’s a hard working, non stop, up and down wide player that we hoped Almiron would be for us. He’s two footed too and can switch flanks or push further forward as part of a forward 3, a poor man’s Salah perhaps, but again that’s no criticism. He’s young, has PL experience and is a fellow international team-mate of Bruno. The fess being quoted are 50m +, I think if we offered 100m to Leeds for him and Phillips they would be seriously tempted as they will need money to reinvest in order to stay up next season and rebuild following Biesla’s era. They are their two best players of course and losing them would be damaging, but they are also their two saleable assets. We would face stiff competition for the pair of course, but shy bairns get nowt…

Centre-forward:

Abraham (Roma and England)

I’ve waxed lyrical about him on here a few times and I’ve been a fan of him since we were linked with him under Rafa and watched his career closely. He’s quick, athletic, strong and scores goals. He can play as a lone central striker or in a 3 as the central striker or either side, he can also play a withdrawn wide attacking role. He’s young, has proved himself at several levels from the Championship to Chelsea and England (youth and senior level) and now in Serie A. He is another with a great attitude and work ethic.  He has a reported by back clause by Chelsea of 60m + and would cost between that and 70m. He’d be good value for money over say someone unknown like Nunez or that French lad, Abraham is guaranteed goods basically.

In conclusion, those 5 could well cost 200m + to secure and we’d need to recoup some money for that from sales, but the five of them would transform our first-team into a top team and they are all classed as home grown, young and not superstars so wouldn’t upset any dressing room dynamic. It’s World Cup season too and they will get game time here every game if fit and be part of an exciting project where the spotlight will certainly be on them. 

A potential XI with those 5:

Dubravka

Trippier        Burn      Ake     Targett 

Phillips     Joelinton

Raphinha           Bruno                 ASM

Abraham 

That would be my ideal team and formation, but it’s very interchanable and I know at Bournemouth Howe wanted a team that could adapt from various formations, tactics and styles of play.

I’d retain the following players:

Woodman, Lascelles, Schar, Manquillo, Lewis, Shelvey, Frazer, Murphy, Wilson, Willock, Wood and I’d try and recoup as much as we can from the rest and or loan out those we can’t sell. Ideally I’d like an experienced back-up for Dubravka and I’d try and promote some of the under 23 group into the first-team picture too. That would give us a very strong squad depth. Lascelles and Schar as centre-back cover, Manquillo and Lewis as full-back cover. Murphy to cover the right with Frazer who can also switch flanks, Shelvey in midfield with Willock as back up with Wood and Wilson as cover for up front. I don’t think we need 4 forwards as Joelinton can be used there if need be and even ASM, even though we all now know neither are best suited there, but can do a job there if needed.

Quality over quantity for me… that team right there would be fighting for the top 6 easily under Howe and his coaches and their methods.

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II

Summer will be so exciting, I can now name loads of players that would transform us who we can now afford and realistically target and the number of permutations is mind boggling. For example Botman, or Carlos, Lingard or Nunez, that French fella, Zapata, loads more. I’m confident whoever we sign we will have a much improved first team and squad next season. 

Guest HTT II

If we could recoup between 20-30m from a combination of Darlow, Hendrick, Krafth, Fede, Dummett, the Longstaffs, Gayle, Almiron, Clark, Hayden and Ritchie we will have done well. I can see a few being released, a few sold and a few mostly out on loan, that’s a lot of players needing to be peddled. I can see us keeping Krafth,  Almiron and Sean Longstaff. I think Almiron could be our most saleable asset or someone we could potentially get at least 10m for. God, looking at those players our squad is so fucking full of absolute shit, cheers Mike!

Think we’ll get 4 players on Bruno’s level this summer which should get us to the sort of level of West Ham, Arsenal & Leicester (I know they’ve had a poor season this year but I still think they’re in there), then same again the year after and that’ll have us aiming to get amongst Spurs & Chelsea for the CL places.

Let’s not forget Jeff Hendrick with a spell away from the club to get his confidence back he could be a good partner in the middle for Bruno, utilising his continental experience at Inter Milan. Could be like a new signing.

I’m not being serious. Send him to Forest to create the midfield dream team with Colback

Edited by James
Added cliché

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think we’ll get 4 players on Bruno’s level this summer which should get us to the sort of level of West Ham, Arsenal & Leicester (I know they’ve had a poor season this year but I still think they’re in there), then same again the year after and that’ll have us aiming to get amongst Spurs & Chelsea for the CL places.

That’s what I’m hoping, quality over quantity, my big fear, however, is PIF will want a marquee signing like a Coutinho/Dembele. Not that I’d say no to any quality player, but the payers I’ve listed for example, would prove far more value for money and help the team far greater IMO.

The only reason not to get Targett would be if he wants to play with wing backs.

All the links in January were with very attack minded full backs so I do wonder if that's Howe's long term vision. The link to Lodi this week definitely raises the question.

Think you're getting the most out of Trippier as a wing back so I can see the logic. Allows a bit of versatility too as you can go to a flat back four and play an extra player further up the pitch when chasing games or you just want to go out and attack.

39 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think we'll get as many Bruno/TP level players as we can get. We'll not get to a number and be like "aye that's enough". If we can sign 8 in that mould, we'll sign all 8.

I take the Lodi links as proof. Targett is more than fine and would be a good signing but we're looking to see if we can get a CL type signing.

I think even if we sign 8 in that mould. The goal would be the same, top 6ish.

Edited by The College Dropout