Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

I don't get the "but Lascelles is captain, he'll not be dropped" thing.

He's Bruce's Captain, and Rafa before him, but this is a situation Howe inherited, not one he's had any say in. He may have his own ideas about who will be captain and it may well be someone different but I can't recall a team ever changing captain mid-way through a season.

For me, Lascelles is very droppable.

Anyway, for me:

Wood/Wilson

ASM               Willock              Fraser

Joelinton    Guimarães

Targett      Burn    Schar      Trippier

Dubravka

That's what I'd like to see, I think. Shelvey's done well and it feels harsh to exclude him, but the middle 2 MUST be Joelinton and Guimarães, surely? Willock needs to play in his proper position, as a 10, we know he can run and finish and we need someone on the end of Guimarães' through balls. Putting Joelinton there is pointless as he can't finish and also his best work has been deeper, winning the ball back and being a general nuisance.

I'd like to see Fernandez play too if Schar is out, but he seems out of favour entirely sadly. Almiron could come on for Willock if he's knackered, but I'd keep him away from AMR where he's useless. Shelvey could come on for cameos for Joelinton or Guimarães if we're winning(!) by a couple and they're tired.

Our lack of cover on the wings is terrifying, but there we go.

Edited by Chris_R

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I was reading Waugh and Caulkin's likely eleven earlier, they had (4-3-3): Dubs, Trippier, Lascelles, Burn, Targett, Bruno, Shelvey, Big Joe, Fraser, Wood, ASM

What am I missing with Fraser? Is Howe just picking him for nostalgic reasons?! He offers absolutely nothing!

The thing is with Shelvey, you cant play him DLP/QB now because thats Brunos natural position. But I also cant see how you play Shelvey further up either because he just doesnt have the physical attributes/engine to press like a mad man when we are out of possession like Joe/Willock can, just cant see where he fits into the side now.

Edited by Nine

53 minutes ago, Nine said:

The thing is with Shelvey, you cant play him DLP/QB now because thats Brunos natural position. But I also cant see how you play Shelvey further up either because he just doesnt have the physical attributes/engine to press like a mad man when we are out of possession like Joe/Willock can, just cant see where he fits into the side now.

Yup.

Instead we’ll jot down shelveys name and then proceed crowbar 3 players in wrong positions around him

Going to be difficult to second guess the XI that starts against Everton. Not a certainty that he'll bring Burn, Targett and Bruno all in straight away.

I do think he should but its hard to see him dropping Shelvey or Lascelles. Can't see an issue myself with having Bruno and Shelvey as 2 of a midfield 3. Having 2 players in there with the ability to play balls through to the forwards is a massive plus. At the moment, if the opposition nullify Shelvey, we lack that ability to make balls over the top or diagonal switches. With two players capable of that it suddenly makes it much easier to execute. 

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Going to be difficult to second guess the XI that starts against Everton. Not a certainty that he'll bring Burn, Targett and Bruno all in straight away.

I do think he should but its hard to see him dropping Shelvey or Lascelles. Can't see an issue myself with having Bruno and Shelvey as 2 of a midfield 3. Having 2 players in there with the ability to play balls through to the forwards is a massive plus. At the moment, if the opposition nullify Shelvey, we lack that ability to make balls over the top or diagonal switches. With two players capable of that it suddenly makes it much easier to execute. 

Tbf, Shelvey can hit the odd decent longshot but I'd rather see Willock going forward but willing to see how it works if that's the plan.

Schar theoretically can be freed up as midfielder now but I feel a bit vulnerable at the back without him (was sterling against Leeds) even in the event of Feddy being and remaining fit.

I know Jo's not let us down in the middle but I'd prefer someone like Schar in there with Jo and Bruno than a Shelvey for sure.

Need some sort of form from someone else to alternate with Fraser. Willock to recapture some form would be huge too.

Its gonna be to close for comfort for the forseeable.

Edited by Wolfcastle

14 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Schar theoretically can be freed up as midfielder now but I feel a bit vulnerable at the back without him (was sterling against Leeds) even in the event of Feddy being and remaining fit.

I know Jo's not let us down in the middle but I'd prefer someone like Schar in there with Jo and Bruno than a Shelvey for sure.

Need some sort of form from someone else to alternate with Fraser. Willock to recapture some form would be huge too.

Its gonna be to close for comfort for the forseeable.

F925-B1-EC-31-B6-4-F47-AC1-E-EF34-C3-BD4

6 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Anyway, for me:

Wood/Wilson

ASM               Willock              Fraser

Joelinton    Guimarães

Targett      Burn    Schar      Trippier

Dubravka

That's what I'd like to see, I think. Shelvey's done well and it feels harsh to exclude him, but the middle 2 MUST be Joelinton and Guimarães, surely? Willock needs to play in his proper position, as a 10, we know he can run and finish and we need someone on the end of Guimarães' through balls. Putting Joelinton there is pointless as he can't finish and also his best work has been deeper, winning the ball back and being a general nuisance.

I'd like to see Fernandez play too if Schar is out, but he seems out of favour entirely sadly. Almiron could come on for Willock if he's knackered, but I'd keep him away from AMR where he's useless. Shelvey could come on for cameos for Joelinton or Guimarães if we're winning(!) by a couple and they're tired.

Our lack of cover on the wings is terrifying, but there we go.

Exactly this.

Dubravka

Trippier

Burn

Dummett

Targett

Guimaraes

Joelinton

Willock

ASM

Wood

Fraser

Potentially.

I'd also be tempted by Schar in front of the back 4 and replacing Willock. Then allowing the 2 Brazilians to go more advanced as a 1-2 in CM as opposed to a 2-1 if that makes sense. We have a few options at least. 

EH why are people suggesting Schar in midfield?? :lol:

Which of his 3 games ever in that position have convinced you? was it the 5-0 defeat against Man City? the 4-1 defeat against Man Utd? or perhaps the 2-1 defeat against Watford?

just the 11 goals shipped in 3 games.

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

Dubravka

Trippier

Burn

Dummett

Targett

Guimaraes

Joelinton

Willock

ASM

Wood

Fraser

Potentially.

I'd also be tempted by Schar in front of the back 4 and replacing Willock. Then allowing the 2 Brazilians to go more advanced as a 1-2 in CM as opposed to a 2-1 if that makes sense. We have a few options at least. 

That's been tried and didn't work, just bought a cdm and now want to put him as an attacking midfielder. 

Everyone seems to be choosing their side and making cases for players based on how we have been playing.

Bruno G changes everything. His confidence on the ball will seep into the rest of them.. this manic pressing that we’ve been seeing won’t be as much of an issue.

Expect ASM to play up top and feed off the exquisite through balls that are about to come his way.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Everyone seems to be choosing their side and making cases for players based on how we have been playing.

Bruno G changes everything. His confidence on the ball will seep into the rest of them.. this manic pressing that we’ve been seeing won’t be as much of an issue.

Expect ASM to play up top and feed off the exquisite through balls that are about to come his way.

Right, I agree, but who plays the third midfielder and what role? This assumes Bruno and Big Joe.

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

Right, I agree, but who plays the third midfielder and what role? This assumes Bruno and Big Joe.

I think we go 4-3-3 or maybe 3-4-3 with wing backs.

The latter might work better, Bruno and Joe in the middle flanked by Trippier and Targett when we’re going forward.

ASM, Wood and Willock up top but obviously players coming deeper when needs must.

10 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

ASM likes the ball to feet, I don’t expect signing Bruno will transform him in to a Ramdeuter. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think we go 4-3-3 or maybe 3-4-3 with wing backs.

The latter might work better, Bruno and Joe in the middle flanked by Trippier and Targett when we’re going forward.

ASM, Wood and Willock up top but obviously players coming deeper when needs must.

I'm with that approach all the way. Just all the Shelvey talk who has been playing decent maybe doesn't fit that. See what Howe does.

1 hour ago, HUGZ said:

EH why are people suggesting Schar in midfield?? :lol:

Which of his 3 games ever in that position have convinced you? was it the 5-0 defeat against Man City? the 4-1 defeat against Man Utd? or perhaps the 2-1 defeat against Watford?

just the 11 goals shipped in 3 games.

:lol: Is it just something we have to do when we have a CB with a bit of technical ability? I know people argued it for Colo for way too long. Anyone else? Did people do it for Woodgate?