Remy Cabella

Yaron

What incentive is there for Ashley to make an investment at this point? Barring losses in every match until the end of the season, we're staying up rather comfortably with the squad we have and even if we flog Cabaye. If we go through with the latter and still manage to finish around mid-table, I'm not sure they'd be looking to invest in the summer either, unless we depleted the squad depth further (which isn't outside the realm of possibilities, dropping Marveaux, Obertan, etc.)

Did we magic up a top 5 quality side (according to at least one person on here) out of thin air?

Ashley's not some evil lunatic ffs. If we can get better players for a realistic price, of course we'll invest.

Well no, we could get players for realistic prices but our valuations fall below that. We're tighter than a Nun's bumhole unless a player is very cheap. Cisse aside i cant think of one who's come in in the last couple of years for what they're really worth. Maybe Anita. But Debuchy, Sissoko, Gouffran, MYM, Cabaye and even Santon to an extent have all come in under their real worth imo..

you know normally thats considered a good thing

I agree, we've done brilliant and the powers that be need praising for it but since Cisse we dont throw in a well, a Cisse type transfer. It's seems now solely about bargains and cheapness. Ambition i suppose but that Cisse type transfer on top of bargain hunting is the difference between us finishing 8th and challenging for the top 4 imo.

Everton with the McCarthy transfer as an example for other clubs trying to get there, Southampton with Osvaldo.

worth pointing out Everton only signed McCarthy after selling Fellaini. As for Osvaldo, not exactly been good. I get your point but a large fee is no guarantee of any kind of success in a transfer. I find our transfer policy very frustrating more in the way it doesn't actually try to address the weaknesses in the squad than no large fee's. I'd get over that if it was smart buys where we need (ie a striker a wide player and spare rb).

Guest bimpy474

What incentive is there for Ashley to make an investment at this point? Barring losses in every match until the end of the season, we're staying up rather comfortably with the squad we have and even if we flog Cabaye. If we go through with the latter and still manage to finish around mid-table, I'm not sure they'd be looking to invest in the summer either, unless we depleted the squad depth further (which isn't outside the realm of possibilities, dropping Marveaux, Obertan, etc.)

Did we magic up a top 5 quality side (according to at least one person on here) out of thin air?

Ashley's not some evil lunatic ffs. If we can get better players for a realistic price, of course we'll invest.

Well no, we could get players for realistic prices but our valuations fall below that. We're tighter than a Nun's bumhole unless a player is very cheap. Cisse aside i cant think of one who's come in in the last couple of years for what they're really worth. Maybe Anita. But Debuchy, Sissoko, Gouffran, MYM, Cabaye and even Santon to an extent have all come in under their real worth imo..

you know normally thats considered a good thing

I agree, we've done brilliant and the powers that be need praising for it but since Cisse we dont throw in a well, a Cisse type transfer. It's seems now solely about bargains and cheapness. Ambition i suppose but that Cisse type transfer on top of bargain hunting is the difference between us finishing 8th and challenging for the top 4 imo.

Everton with the McCarthy transfer as an example for other clubs trying to get there, Southampton with Osvaldo.

worth pointing out Everton only signed McCarthy after selling Fellaini. As for Osvaldo, not exactly been good. I get your point but a large fee is no guarantee of any kind of success in a transfer. I find our transfer policy very frustrating more in the way it doesn't actually try to address the weaknesses in the squad than no large fee's. I'd get over that if it was smart buys where we need (ie a striker a wide player and spare rb).

Ah yeah forgot that  O0, we do look a prices before positions. Mad way to do it despite our relative success.

I know Everton bought McCarthy with the Felliani money but we never spend more than we bring in. Just once i'd like us to be £15m down at a window. That's a good player or two if you're clever enough.

Where's your evidence that we'll ever spend more than we bring in on transfers?

Eh, none. Not sure where you got that from, I'd be absolutely staggered if that happened as I can't see us spending more that the club can finance itself any more.

I do believe the quality of the team has got progressively better over recent seasons. If that's the case, then I'd say that's evidence enough that we're not adverse to investing in players and improving.

I mean in terms of having more going out on incoming transfers than comes in via outgoing ones, not living beyond our means.  Ashley saw fit to take around £12m out of the club the season before last while not equipping the squad for a Europa League campaign, he also chooses not to sell advertising space which might give us a few more quid to spend as well.  I'll be very interested to see the next set of accounts with all of the additional TV money being received and us being the only club in the country to spend the square root of fuck-all last summer.  He equips the manager to survive in the league fairly comfortably, nothing more.

Eh, none. Not sure where you got that from, I'd be absolutely staggered if that happened as I can't see us spending more that the club can finance itself any more.

I do believe the quality of the team has got progressively better over recent seasons. If that's the case, then I'd say that's evidence enough that we're not adverse to investing in players and improving.

I mean in terms of having more going out on incoming transfers than comes in via outgoing ones, not living beyond our means.  Ashley saw fit to take around £12m out of the club the season before last while not equipping the squad for a Europa League campaign, he also chooses not to sell advertising space which might give us a few more quid to spend as well.  I'll be very interested to see the next set of accounts with all of the additional TV money being received and us being the only club in the country to spend the square root of fuck-all last summer.  He equips the manager to survive in the league fairly comfortably, nothing more.

won't be until next year those ones.

Aye fair do's, I can't see anything other than ever-increasing chunks being taken off Ashley's "loan" anyway tbh, the sums don't feel like they add up otherwise.

not for this season, doubt there would be a profit for last seasons ones considering the jan spend without that much in sales.

That was to repay the £12m he put in to balance to books from the season before though wasn't it?  Which would go along with spending above our means and all that.  I do agree on next season though, we won't see it in that set of accounts but we'll know for a fact that for the first time this summer the club should definitely have lots of disposable income available following the new TV deal.

I do believe the quality of the team has got progressively better over recent seasons. If that's the case, I'd say that's evidence we're not adverse to investing an in players and improving.

You're correct but i think clubs see us coming now, we need to tweak our approach a bit.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Thankfully I think there will always be good young players who want to test themselves in the Premier League, and I'm not sure how smaller clubs can protect themselves from that, just as we are struggling to retain Cabaye.

The effect of losing Cabaye scares the shit out of me tbh. He seems so integral to our team both on and of the pitch since his arrival that you can see levels dropping no matter how decent Caballa might turn out to be if he comes. Hopefully someone can step up into his role.

Aye fair do's, I can't see anything other than ever-increasing chunks being taken off Ashley's "loan" anyway tbh, the sums don't feel like they add up otherwise.

not for this season, doubt there would be a profit for last seasons ones considering the jan spend without that much in sales.

We got money for Ba, Best and Forster and also got the likes of Smith and Xisco off the wage bill - we'll see but I wouldn't be shocked if there was enough for him to take money out again.

We got money for Ba, Best and Forster and also got the likes of Smith and Xisco off the wage bill - we'll see but I wouldn't be shocked if there was enough for him to take money out again.

Hasn't he already said he's not going to? Sure I read he cancelled the next 'installment'.

Hasn't he already said he's not going to? Sure I read he cancelled the next 'installment'.

Didn't see that.

None of that initial loan been repaid and no indication has been given that its planned so far.  The £12m was to repay a loan from a couple of years back and it was made clear in the accounts at the time that it was a temporary loan to be repaid at a specific time.  The main loan has always been down as a long term debt not to be repaid at any specific time.  Doesn't mean he can't start to take is back at some time in the next few years, but the repayment of the temp loan isn't a indication that he will.

Also if he wants to start taking the long term loan back he'll have to declare the intention to do so in the next accounts.  So we should know well ahead of time if that's his intention.

Also if he wants to start taking the long term loan back he'll have to declare the intention to do so in the next accounts.  So we should know well ahead of time if that's his intention.

Nope, he can change the terms of it at any time he likes, although suddenly demanding the whole whack would raise eyebrows if assurances to the contrary were made to auditors the year before.

French journo on BT Sport saying Cabaye to PSG is happening.  Newcastle to sign Cabella but loan him back to Montpellier for the rest of the season. . .

French journo on BT Sport saying Cabaye to PSG is happening.  Newcastle to sign Cabella but loan him back to Montpellier for the rest of the season. . .

LOL So lose Cabaye pay £12m for Cabella but loan him back

HAHA

Guest bimpy474

A great idea according to some on here

Well it would be if Cabaye was to stay until the summer, barking mental idea if he goes now.

A great idea according to some on here

That was based on Cabaye going in the summer. If Cabaye's going now then that's crap..

French journo's have been desperate for Cabaye to go to PSG, I really don't believe anything that these so called 'experts' & 'in the knows' say.

Most of the ones on Sky and BT know f*ck all about transfers anyway, just attention seekers with a title.

Assuming the £12m price tag is correct, he'd be our record signing under Ashley, wouldn't he?

Will depend on his wages as they have to be factored in apparently so I'm assuming Colo will have cost us hundreds of billions.