Match tickets

Crumpy Gunt

I am toying with the idea of cancelling and just not telling the Wife, so that I still go out on a Saturday but rock up home twice as drunk as won't have 2 hours to sober up.

In all honesty I have had my ticket for 24 years and have seen a lot of shit, contemplated giving it up so many times and didn't want to lose my seat as it's a good view. Also being that I have sat with my Dad there for that long.

He is throwing his in and I am seriously considering mine, the but in this is that I enjoy the build up - the going for a few pints with my mates and discussing the games / general football, the going to the game. What I don't enjoy is the 90 minutes of absolute dogshit served up after that and the idiots that sit around me that cannot see Pardew was at fault, finding anyway to blame the players / something else.

I can understand why some people don't give up their ticket and maybe don't feel as strong as others, I am struggling to give it up despite threatening so often and most of it is simply around the build up, post match, getting out for a drink and blind hope that it will get better.

Don't get a ticket then. You go and meet up with the same people every week, but instead of going to watch us being fucking shite again in the cold with no atmosphere, you stay in the pub and watch it on tele. Half the money, double the fun.

I'm not going to criticise anyone for keeping their ticket. Annoyed me the last couple of years when I've renewed and I've seen posts on here calling people who renew idiots etc. It's everyone's personal choice ffs, everyone has different reasons for renewing / not renewing and it's wrong to criticise anyone for that.

No matter what your "reasons" are for renewing, by renewing your vindicating the current regime and helping prolong the agony for most the fans.

Reasons don't really come in to it.

While I agree to an extent, I think it's absolutely fair game to criticise those that go yet still continue to whinge to high heavens about the way in which the club is run or the way in which Mike Ashley treats them.

In that case I would agree with you, but it's still hard to let go of something you may have had for 10+ years and becomes part of your weekly routine and something you do with your dad / mates / partner.

Guest firetotheworks

While I agree to an extent, I think it's absolutely fair game to criticise those that go yet still continue to whinge to high heavens about the way in which the club is run or the way in which Mike Ashley treats them.

In that case I would agree with you, but it's still hard to let go of something you may have had for 10+ years and becomes part of your weekly routine and something you do with your dad / mates / partner.

Do you still enjoy it? is the question that's probably most important within that scenario then.

Would you give a school or hospital your patronage if they were managed poorly? Their results crap and their staff inept. You'd hold it to rights. The principle is exactly the same if not as important. Newcastle included, these are institutions with heavy emotional investment, yet many see their turning up as a sign of stoicism in that their presence will incite some kind of paradigm shift in the way the management and team perform. It's far bigger than that. These spanners who belittle the MAOC whilst moaning about the club are idiots.

Do you still enjoy it? is the question that's probably most important within that scenario then.

I agree. For me personally I don't really enjoy it much anymore, which is why I cancelled today. We cancelled for a number of reasons, mainly the whole Ashley and ambition of the club scenario, but also the fact that we now live in York and it therefore costs a lot more to get to every game, and we don't do the whole drinking before and after thing. We just go up for the match and straight back down usually, might stick around after and meet friends or go for a meal or something but not very often. If it was more a social thing with friends every week and we were still in Newcastle it would be a much more difficult decision.

I am toying with the idea of cancelling and just not telling the Wife, so that I still go out on a Saturday but rock up home twice as drunk as won't have 2 hours to sober up.

In all honesty I have had my ticket for 24 years and have seen a lot of shit, contemplated giving it up so many times and didn't want to lose my seat as it's a good view. Also being that I have sat with my Dad there for that long.

He is throwing his in and I am seriously considering mine, the but in this is that I enjoy the build up - the going for a few pints with my mates and discussing the games / general football, the going to the game. What I don't enjoy is the 90 minutes of absolute dogshit served up after that and the idiots that sit around me that cannot see Pardew was at fault, finding anyway to blame the players / something else.

I can understand why some people don't give up their ticket and maybe don't feel as strong as others, I am struggling to give it up despite threatening so often and most of it is simply around the build up, post match, getting out for a drink and blind hope that it will get better.

This is basically me. However l'm now at the point where I simply don't enjoy the 90 minutes of drudge served up. Completely torn.

It's the only question imo. In what other form of entertainment do you make the effort (financial, physical and emotional) if you don't even enjoy it and loathe the people running it?

Guest firetotheworks

I agree. For me personally I don't really enjoy it much anymore, which is why I cancelled today. We cancelled for a number of reasons, mainly the whole Ashley and ambition of the club scenario, but also the fact that we now live in York and it therefore costs a lot more to get to every game, and we don't do the whole drinking before and after thing. We just go up for the match and straight back down usually, might stick around after and meet friends or go for a meal or something but not very often. If it was more a social thing with friends every week and we were still in Newcastle it would be a much more difficult decision.

I think for a lot of people the whole experience that you've just mentioned there is a big reason for them not packing it in, I think it comes to something when people are giving it up regardless of that.

Guest firetotheworks

Football is different to any other form of entertainment in so many ways though. Obviously I wouldn't keep going to the theatre if it was depressing and boring, but I don't support The Theatre Royal like I support my football club.

Pilko! :lol:

Football is different to any other form of entertainment in so many ways though. Obviously I wouldn't keep going to the theatre if it was depressing and boring, but I don't support The Theatre Royal like I support my football club.

:lol:

It was just an example FFS!

Alreet, the dog racing.

Some people go on like they signed a contract in blood at birth to support the club no matter what. Any sane person grows out of all that when they leave their teens. If you chose to value football higher than any other form of entertainment it will be "different" but it's no different to someone who doesn't like it. You get out of it what you put in.

It's a weird one like. I think more than anything I'll miss my fix of top-level live football. Obviously I have a deep emotional attachment to Newcastle but in recent years I've almost become used to semi-parking this and attempting just to enjoy the football on a football level (generally the opposition).

Some people go on like they signed a contract in blood at birth to support the club no matter what. Any sane person grows out of all that when they leave their teens. If you chose to value football higher than any other form of entertainment it will be "different" but it's no different to someone who doesn't like it. You get out of it what you put in.

Come on man, there must be more to it than that. You know as well as I do how deeply rooted in people's identity their football club is.

Come on man, there must be more to it than that. You know as well as I do how deeply rooted in people's identity their football club is.

Would your life change much if NUFC went bust next week and didn't come back?

I've used the analogy before but it's the equivalent of a wife being adamant she will stand by her wedding vows whilst she soothes her black eye with an ice pack and waits for him to get home from his bit on the side.

Loyalty in football has to swing both ways. Newcastle United are actively malicious to the supporters and we just keep putting their tea on the table.

Not sure what's behind this question. I would be gutted, I would need something else to think about and a different sport to follow. The city wouldn't be the same, everyone I know would be gutted. I could go on... why do you ask?

Guest firetotheworks

I've used the analogy before but it's the equivalent of a wife being adamant she will stand by her wedding vows whilst she soothes her black eye with an ice pack and waits for him to get home from his bit on the side.

Loyalty in football has to swing both ways. Newcastle United are actively malicious to the supporters and we just keep putting their tea on the table.

It's a good one because it covers the whole 'stability' point as well. As in the same way that a 20 year marriage like the one above is stable.

:lol: I'll add it to the list. Actually, it's probably become more of a dossier by now.

:lol: I'll add it to the list. Actually, it's probably become more of a dossier by now.

It was hypothetical, my good man.

Not sure what's behind this question. I would be gutted, I would need something else to think about and a different sport to follow. The city wouldn't be the same, everyone I know would be gutted. I could go on... why do you ask?

Just a hypothetical question. Sounds like your life wouldn't change all that much after a period of grieving then? That's what makes it entertainment and nothing more imo. Emotional investment elevates it's importance to you but people have lifelong emotional investment in all kinds of things which are of equal value.

It is ludicrous to compare it to any other form of entertainment tbf. If it was anything else us sad bastards wouldn't be arguing about it every afternoon.

For me matchdays are partly a social event. If it was purely entertainment that was craved I wouldn't have stepped foot in SJP for a decade.

Some aren't just putting tea on the table they are sucking them off despite the batterings.

My own view is I hate the cunts plain and simple, more hesitant to give it up due to social aspects rather than any deep rooted support for the regime