2-0 vs. 4-1

Trumpet

Controversial ? question, but which score line do you prefer in a league game (In a cup game, the latter is of course better) ?

On paper, it should be a no brainer. 4 goals scored, a better GD, and looking at it, 4-1 should be the winner, but am I the only one who much prefers to win a game 2-0 and keep a clean sheet, than 4-1 ?

I mean, yea the latter is more entertaining...but 2-0 win is just solid as fuck. The defenders and keeper will be proud and satisfied with their performance, and so will the attackers. There is just a commanding balance about a 2-0 scoreline, that I'd take it over a 4-1 win any day of the week.

Was curious to see what  you guys think of it? Maybe it's the difference of perceptions due to supporting different teams and styles, but ever since I started watching footy in 1996 I just had a massive boner (well not back then, I was 6) for clean sheets. I love them. Give me a 2-0 win over 4-1 win when the defenders won't feel as happy and upbeat any day of the week.

Will appreciate it if Mods can add a poll to this.

It depends.

Even though I like a solid defensive display I also like us to beat teams by as many goals as we can.

Lets take an example to consider.

If we started a game well and went say 2-0 up early on then we concede a goal to make it 2-1 just before half time. After half time the game is tight and we are under pressure at times to keep a hold of our lead and we don't score the other 2 goals until late on then I'd much rather a solid 2-0 win to make so I don't shit myself during the rest of the game.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Should've been 2-0 vs 3-1  :lol: . I love a clean sheet like but mathematically a 3 goal difference is better than a 2 goal difference. No brainer really 

4-1 any day of the week.

2-0 is a normal boring scoreline.

4-1 makes you take note and also tells everyone that you battered the other team.(even better if the opposition took a 1-0 lead)

4-3 is the best scoreline though.

Win by 2 or win by 3?

Erm, win by 3 please. Clean sheets don't win you points, West Ham have got 9 of them ffs.

They do like. Literally.

:lol:

You know what I mean though. They guarantee you a point a game but having 20 clean sheets doesn't mean you've had a good season, it's a good indicator but winning by 3 with no clean sheet is always going to be better than winning by 2 with a clean sheet.

If you look at the stats, the best teams in Europe are very good at keeping clean sheets, which shows they DO matter. They separate a very good team, from an excellent team.

These are the stats before last week's Arsenal game vs. Villa

Arsenal (before tonight) have kept a clean sheet in 45% of their games.

Chelsea in 38%

City in 38%

Roma in 63%

Juve 57%

Atletico 52%

Barca 52%

Real 31%

Bayern 56%

Good offense wins you games, good defense wins you championships. Of course, if you're Man City, with 150M worth of top class attacking talent, then you may be exception to the rule. But Arsenal's form in 2013 and now 2014 and their rise from top 4 strugglers to title challengers, has come directly as the result of their increased ability to keep clean sheets. If you noticed, these days they rarely beat a team with more than 2 goals....yet they keep clean sheets a fuck load more than before.

You can't be a great team without a fantastic defense and of course that means lots of clean sheets, and maybe as a byproduct probably means the most freescoring teams aren't the best, but don't think is cos they play for 2-0 rather than 4-1, merely they play to control the game, not concede and score as many along the way.

Bayern at the moment are hardly shirking away from goals, nor did Barcalona at their best. It's more about dominance, playing a game, dominating start to finish and winning 2-0 is satisfying I'll grant that, but I've also seen plenty of 2-0 wins that felt skin of the teeth and 4-1 wins (well less of these) where teams dominated start to finish and conceded a flukey goal or a late consolation.