The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

Loathe Villa and their one dimensional ways. Shame of West Brom not once but twice this season

That doesn't add up to reality.

Too often we try and huff and puff and can't force a way through, mostly because the only decent midfielder we have is Delph - who is so good compared to the other options we have, it is embarrassing. We have absolutely no way of opening up a defence.

Meanwhile, we've started to believe this stuff about being a good counter attacking side so too often we are happy to drop back and look to counter attack, and there's a thin line between that and playing hopeful long balls.

Don't get me wrong, too much of this season, we have been awful, but that is nothing about going long deliberately (as an Allardyce side would), and far more about just not having players good enough to do what we really want to do.

Loathe Villa and their one dimensional ways. Shame of West Brom not once but twice this season

Too often we try and huff and puff and can't force a way through, mostly because the only decent midfielder we have is Delph - who is so good compared to the other options we have, it is embarrassing. We have absolutely no way of opening up a defence.

Meanwhile, we've started to believe this stuff about being a good counter attacking side so too often we are happy to drop back and look to counter attack, and there's a thin line between that and playing hopeful long balls.

Don't get me wrong, too much of this season, we have been awful, but that is nothing about going long deliberately (as an Allardyce side would), and far more about just not having players good enough to do what we really want to do.

By one dimensional you summed what I meant in bold rather than long ball. Contrast to when I thought you were decent to watch last season is massive.

By one dimensional you summed what I meant in bold rather than long ball. Contrast to when I thought you were decent to watch last season is massive.

We're a worse side to watch than last season, but we're far more resilient, and are getting better results.

We need to add someone this week. Hoolahan, who is an unspectacular but very much underrated player, in exactly the position we need one, would be perfect.

Was at Chelsea west ham tonight. My my what a miss by Carroll, best chance of the game.

Chelsea's tempo is so slow. They were basically outside he west ham box the entire game fucking around, then resorting from shots from distance (til the end when they should have scored).

James Collins wasn't the worst player on the planet this game

Stamford bridge atmosphere is terrible

What is Pepe Mel thinking playing a high defensive line with Lugano-Olsson pairing ? They are literally the most ill suited CB partnership in the league to playing in a high line. If mcAuly is fit, he must start as I think he's their best defender.

Having said that, hopefully they'll play Lugano-Olsson on high line on sunday as well.

José Mourinho after Chelsea's 0-0 draw with West Ham:

"A match is about two teams playing. This match was only one team playing and another team not. I told Big Sam that, because they need points, to come here and do it the way they did... is it acceptable? Maybe yes. I cannot be too critical because, if I was in this position, I don't know if I would do the same. But at the same time this is not Premier League. This is not the best league in the world. This is football from the 19th century."

Allardyce defends his tactics at Stamford Bridge:

"He can't take it, can he? He can't take it because we've 'out-tacticted' him, outwitted him. He just can't cope. He told me that, but he can tell me all he wants. I don't give a shite, to be honest. I love to see Chelsea players moaning at the referee, trying to intimidate him, José jumping up and down in his technical area. It's great to see."

:mike: :mike: :mike:

Out-tacticted ... I haven't bothered to check if that grammar is legal, but it sure as hell made me guffaw.

Fat Sam, so grotesque.