The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

Bloody hell Baba, we should be about 4 up, you's are fucked if this is it.

The keeper threw the ball in the net. There's not a chance in hell this game is legit.

:lol: The whole thing is a bit surreal tbh.

That goal didn't count. Ejide threw the ball into his net because he is a basket and fat. Maybe it is a rigged game, but it wouldn't need to be. Under Keshi we have a starting XI that has developed into a competitive and close knit bunch since ACN and collection of hey-yous that look like they haven't ever met after that. Did you watch the Confed Cup. It was the same. This is just the way of things. The defense has just been terrible. Odunlami and Egwuekwe look clueless and Yobo looks like a grandfather.

:thup:

I do think however one large part of the problem that we share here in Sweden is that we want to make changes in the youth department while we still have everyone managing these young players with outdated ideas. I see here in Sweden that absolute lack of ability to play on the floor from early ages, the inability to actually understand what football is about because as young people they're already told that they're not technically gifted enough. There's no wanting to invent a style, it's the whole mentality that stinks. I don't think it helps either to have managers like Drillo and Lagerbäck who despite winning games don't help the nations football in the longterm.

In Sweden when I watch it, all I see is running, running and running, despite that the big club managers think the biggest difference between Swedish and other big nations football is the fact that they run more than the Swedish players. It's not true, they say that completely overlooking the fact that where other nations excels is the ability to play, ability to interact on the pitch. Intelligence is so underrated, we all look for physical types that can muster 90minutes non-stop while completely forgetting that intelligence on the pitch usually prevails. The ability to make runs at the right moment, to make the right pass, to conserve energy as a group.

That's why I don't like Drillo and Lagerbäck and many other managers, because they set this mentality that we just aren't good enough playing so we'll have to win tactically, and yes it's true, but that mentality doesn't help to evolve the game within the nation and that's also why Scandinavian football is just going backwards.

Agreed.

Very true. Also think an issue is that we don't separate the better youngsters from the s*** ones at an earlier time. The mentality we have that "everyone needs to play, it's not about winning but having fun" until they're about 16 years old makes the young players play against s*** opponents rather than play with good teammates against better opposition.

:thup: x100 We're too scared of it, it's pure scandinavian mentality, no one should be better than anyone.  It's just ridiculous.

This, however, I don't agree with. Just have to look at the Belgians and their success story of the last decade. They decided to really change their approach to youth development; they don't seperate players until 14 years of age. And when they do split up the group of players they consider the players' physical development, not their overall quality. This way they minimise the risk of losing good players who develop later.

Sorry, Collage, I lived in Belgium 9 years, played through their youth ranks at top footballing level. We were as kid already at 8 years old separated where we had A and B teams no matter who our friends were. Football in Belgium was serious from an early age and coaches treated us as adults. I do realize it's a cultural thing as it's the same across the whole Belgian culture, domestic, school or football clubs. It's not like in Sweden where kids can play with their best mates until they're 15-16 and then separated because some want to try and go pro.

That own goal. :lol:

f*** the bed.  :lol:

That is the clear definition of that man. The goalie throws the ball in the net ffs. :lol:

Mark Bright ‏@Mark__Bright 2h

At Craven Cottage for the Nigeria v Scotland game, guy sitting next to me just ruined it, said it ends up 2-2. #worldcupwarmup

:shifty:

Seriously, hope we've paid Cameroon more than Croatia or Mexico are willing to do at the World Cup. Seems like another team having problem with player bonuses in the WC so might as well pay their bonuses in exchange for three points.

so, er, Cuauhtémoc Blanco is starting for Mexico tonight.

Good call, Mexico. It's not like there's a world cup coming up, and even if there was, I'm sure you will have qualified with ease and definitely didn't need a last minute goal from your biggest rivals to spare your blushes.

PSYCH, ALL THAT STUFF ACTUALLY DID HAPPEN OR IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

Good call, Mexico. It's not like there's a world cup coming up, and even if there was, I'm sure you will have qualified with ease and definitely didn't need a last minute goal from your biggest rivals to spare your blushes.

If you just count the two games against the All Whites, they qualified at a canter.  Didn't even need to use their overseas players or anything.

Sorry, Collage, I lived in Belgium 9 years, played through their youth ranks at top footballing level. We were as kid already at 8 years old separated where we had A and B teams no matter who our friends were. Football in Belgium was serious from an early age and coaches treated us as adults. I do realize it's a cultural thing as it's the same across the whole Belgian culture, domestic, school or football clubs. It's not like in Sweden where kids can play with their best mates until they're 15-16 and then separated because some want to try and go pro.

When did you live there? It's fairly common knowledge that they changed their youth development policies quite drastically (not just when it comes to separating players but many other aspects, like what the training sessions should focus on), think it was in the early 2000's or late 90's. Most Belgian clubs follow these guidelines.

If you just count the two games against the All Whites, they qualified at a canter.  Didn't even need to use their overseas players or anything.

Vela and the rest are more interested in the poon.

When did you live there? It's fairly common knowledge that they changed their youth development policies quite drastically (not just when it comes to separating players but many other aspects, like what the training sessions should focus on), think it was in the early 2000's or late 90's. Most Belgian clubs follow these guidelines.

Until 4 years ago. They separated players at 'pre-minime' level (u10), at least at the club I played at that competed with clubs such as Tubize and Anderlecht. We are already separated into levels that are national, provincial and local. Some clubs have youth teams in all tiers, some have them in only one or two. What they did change in the system except for asking the teams all over the country to play a similar role tactic, and to not separate players due to their physical ability.

Although I'm reading the new drastic changes started getting discussed in 2002, and I stopped in 2005-2006, so maybe like you said the effect were fast and came around the same time I stopped. At the same time Belgium had an excellent team with these methods in the 80s, in the ealry 2000s they had a good team as well with Mpenza brothers, Wilmots etc. So then it would be interesting to analyze the system over all these years. But I do realize I've missed the changes that you talked about :thup: When I played 10 years ago though, it wasn't like that. In Brazil we have always had the winning at all costs, and it works. Think the tactic change has done more than the winning and separating at older. But that's for another discussion :thup:

:thup:

It's not fair comparing Sweden, Norway and Belgium with Brazil though. The sheer numbers of youngsters playing football for one thing - small countries can't afford losing talents but have to make sure as many talents as  possible make it all the way.