Other clubs' transfers

TBG

There is simply no excuse to openly tout your player to other clubs. No matter what level you, the player or the other club plays at.

You should strive to grow and achieve things with your best players rather than being happy to be a stepping stone.

:thup:

There is simply no excuse to openly tout your player to other clubs. No matter what level you, the player or the other club plays at.

You should strive to grow and achieve things with your best players rather than being happy to be a stepping stone.

Spot on.

If Lukaku wants to move in the summer then fine. Everton name their fee and reinvest it in their squad but they shouldn't tout him about during the season.

Very Pardew-esqe. Thought more of Koeman.

Lukaku's ability is undoubted, but his inconsistency sometimes and poor attitude makes me think there's more to this than Koeman just openly touting him about for the sake of the money.

He's clearly not all that committed to Everton and has openly said he doesn't want to stay before, as he feels he should be playing for a bigger club. Although Everton are significantly bankrolled now, it's going to take a hell of a lot of them to be a side that breaches the top 4 or mounts a challenge to be taken serious, given the teams that are finishing top 4 now appear to be gunning for the title at least until the final 12-8 weeks of the season.

I think it makes more sense if you're Koeman if a player wants to leave to laud him with praise in public and let him have a storming season, so he can be bought by a Chelsea/PSG team for £70m+ in the summer (providing he wants to leave), then he can reinvest the money in a player with similar(ish) ability who actually wants to be there.

I do see the argument that if Everton want to progress they should keep their best player, but forcing a player like Lukaku to stay against his will, will probably do more harm than good. With his apparent attitude problems it could even turn almost like the Berahino situation.

Guest firetotheworks

Not really like. [emoji38] They're completely different to openly touting your existing player out and saying that he's failed as a player if he stays at Everton.

It's facts though.

The same is true of Koeman's managerial career. If Everton is the biggest club he'll ever manage (forgetting Valencia), he would consider it a failure imo.

Dyche made a decent comment awhile ago about players motivations. It can be anything, he just needs to know what it is. If it's getting a transfer away to a more prestigious club, he'll support it if they deliver. If it's wages, likewise. If it's praise and an arm around the shoulder etc.

I think it's fair. Lukaku - go and score 30 league goals and help us get into the CL and you'll get that Barca move. That's fair.  Pardew's brand of help us stay up and you'll get a move to Spurs is unacceptable. Koeman's talking the absolute pinnacle of the game. Pardew was talking anyone in the top 6.

So unless you manage a 'top club' then your entire managerial career is a failure?

I didn't say that. I reckon Koeman eventually see's himself winning league titles and consistently appearing in the CL as a manager. He could do that with Everton but it is unlikely. He'll most likely need to move to a bigger club to achieve that but he'll have to do a very good job at Everton to be afforded that opportunity.

And again - I think it's a motivational play by Koeman as well.

Gerrard has left LA Galaxy  :johnson:

Gerrard leaving LA, Lampard leaving NYFC, with rumours of Pirlo and Villa leaving as well, not to mention that it's likely Drogba won't play for Montreal again. I wonder if the MLS are over the stage of paying for older players and feel like the league is mature enough to survive without them and build up their own quality?

• 2 weeks later...