Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Good luck to him though, but he is certainly not one of our sporting heroes at all.

I will speak for the other 180 million or so people of Nigeria and tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about. It is not "Kaka" who decides for Nigeria, I assure you. He is massively important to the sport in my country and an icon to those that actually live in the country. He hardly "bummed it up" either, but I am not going to rehash that part of the argument. Mikel was never going to play the same role he did at U-20, where he dominated primarily because of his incredible strength. His destiny was always deeper, especially as a physically slow player in the fastest league around. His creative stylings are much more easily expressed in the extremely physical, but slow paced world of African footballer, and consequently Obi has played a much more creative role there. It is not his fault that Nigeria did not pair him top-level creative talent until the emergence of Iwobi recently.

In summary, this small boy from Jos has managed to maintain a wildly successful club career while also being his country's best player for the better part of a decade despite playing in an entirely different position. Of course, this is not enough for internet experts who seem to have intimate knowledge of what he should or should not be doing. People who think that they can decipher the "desire" of someone by decisions made at an age when most are wasting their parent's time and failing with women. Instead of focusing on this specious nonsense, I will focus on the tangible results, which loudly and affirmatively speak for themselves.

I assure you many Nigerians who I know that still live in the country lament the fact he wasted so much time at Chelsea, so I'm not sure why you feel so confidently that so many people see him as an icon. An icon in the sense that he is a rich footballer, yes okay.

Look, yes he has done well for himself coming from where he did and that's fine. From a sporting point of view I am not impressed, and there are many that share the same point of view, whether you like it or not.

The guy prioritised money from the outset, and now he can practice bigmanship, which is what most of them aspire too. Well done to him.

What was the Man U midfield and what was the Chelsea midfield when Obi Mikel pulled out of the Man U deal to join Chelsea instead of Man U? Alex Ferguson spoke so highly of him and really wanted to sign him.

Until someone can explain that decision, which was clearly motivated by Russian millions, I will always question that boys desire and his damned sense, and I will feel very justified in doing so.

What was the Man U midfield and what was the Chelsea midfield when Obi Mikel pulled out of the Man U deal to join Chelsea instead of Man U? Alex Ferguson spoke so highly of him and really wanted to sign him.

Until someone can explain that decision, which was clearly motivated by Russian millions, I will always question that boys desire and his damned sense, and I will feel very justified in doing so.

Chelsea had just won the league and are based in London?

Chelsea had just won the league and are based in London?

And were paying well above the market place for sarlaies.

Guest firetotheworks

It's not like Man United would have definitely made a difference to his style, mind. Fergie often reined talent in and focused it in sensible, efficient and yet less exciting ways.

Mikel was just so bland. With the likes of Makelele, Kante and Colback at least there's a certain beauty to what they do. Mikel was just there. A big fat nothing running about in the middle.

Spot the odd one out.

Mikel was just so bland. With the likes of Makelele, Kante and Colback at least there's a certain beauty to what they do. Mikel was just there. A big fat nothing running about in the middle.

i agree with this, and while i understand what baba is saying ultimately the lad has played at chelsea for 10 years or something and i'll bet half of us can barely think of a decent game he's had in that time while playing for one the best sides in the country and europe

also the bold bit :lol:

It's not like Man United would have definitely made a difference to his style, mind. Fergie often reined talent in and focused it in sensible, efficient and yet less exciting ways.

At least he would have had a chance to play far more right off the bat, and a more expansive game under Fergie also, at a time when they were transitioning from Scholes and Butt.

Chelsea on the other hand had Lampard, Essien, Makelele AND Ballack. I mean ... what the hell man. Come on.

Never mind the fact Mourinho just never used any youngster correctly. He was already on his way to messing up Lassana Diarra who was also there at the time.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, all started playing at 16 or something, didn't they? Milner's only 31 as well, he made his senior debut like 14 years ago.

This is a completely false idea of what happened in 2005. Obi was eighteen and was essentially controlled by John Shittu and also fell victim to some dealings by agents controlling him and shady actors at Lyn Oslo. The confusion being that he signed for one club, but agents, etc signed him for another. How you use this incident from twelve years ago as any sort of judgement about anything is something well beyond my mental capabilities. I doubt he was doing some sort of ridiculous side by side comparison of the squads at that age having played only a handful of matches in Norway in the entirety of his professional career. He missed out a year because of this confusion, then showed up to Chelsea fat and out of condition, only for Jose to immediately integrate him and give him 42 appearances. But I am sure Man U would have "given him more chances off the bat".

I have no qualms about people disliking the type of player he was. Physicality, cynicism, and common sense play featured heavily in his club career ( though not so much in his play for his country) and these are not beautiful qualities enjoyed by all. I don't understand the disrespectful nature of your commentary. MJO/JMO is respected at all levels of the footballing community, idolised in his country (despite you and your mates), and nowhere near done, especially for SE where I look forward to him leading them to 2018 and nurturing the likes of Iheanacho, Iwobi, etc. Stop sipping Haterade.

Bit mad that Jon Obi Mikel, Aaron Lennon and Cesc Fabregas are still in their 20s

Messi too. Class of '87 all of them.

I will end it (from my side anyway) by saying this ... I was hugely dissapointed in his choice to go to Chelsea, and even more so in his decision to remain there all these years. Watching him for Nigeria it is clear that he had more than enough to be starting games every week at a decent club, and I believe we would have seen a far better player for it. He has ended up a bench player his whole career. In my opinion that is a real travesty.

Guest firetotheworks

He has ended up a bench player his whole career.

Eh? According to Soccerbase, of his 278 appearances, only 90 of them were as a sub. At a club like Chelsea, which has had the pick of any midfielder they've wanted, including the league's all-time top scoring midfielder, I wouldn't say he's been a bench player at all.

This. See Anderson as the Brazilian Obi Mikel...and Alan Smith as the English version.

He has ended up a bench player his whole career.

Eh? According to Soccerbase, of his 278 appearances, only 90 of them were as a sub. At a club like Chelsea, which has had the pick of any midfielder they've wanted, including the league's all-time top scoring midfielder, I wouldn't say he's been a bench player at all.

278 appearances in 10 years. This is not someone who is relied upon in the first team.

This. See Anderson as the Brazilian Obi Mikel...and Alan Smith as the English version.

The fact such players were being used in midfield is the very reason he should have gone there. We will never truly know if he would have ended up the same. Chelsea were stacked and just squeezed him in at the bottom of midfield when they could.