Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Bet all the part-time Barcelona fans on here suddenly decide he's not all that bad a guy. :lol:

No-one likes Barça/Pep/Spain/Bayern anymore - they're boring. Keep up Dave lad.

:snod:

I loved watching Barca, they're nowhere near as fun to watch anymore, but if Suarez went there they would be pretty hard to like. I love watching Bayern like, I don't think the way Guardiola has teams playing is boring at all.

You can't watch them very much. Bayern have made 5-0 boring. They are almost too good.

This why their persistent weakening of other German clubs annoys me, helped with their downfall in the CL too which was nice.

Think it's ridiculous when people say that Del Bosque's Spain are boring (I can understand some of those views) but then say Barca under Pep were that as well. Think they played completely different styles of possession football and Barca had a lot more of a cutting edge than that Spain team did.

Think it's ridiculous when people say that Del Bosque's Spain are boring (I can understand some of those views) but then say Barca under Pep were that as well. Think they played completely different styles of possession football and Barca had a lot more of a cutting edge than that Spain team did.

Definitely. I have found that Spain quite boring at times but Barca under Pep was a different animal.

Més que un club- yeah f***ing right

Do you know why they are called mes que en club? It's because at the time Camp Nou was the only place Catalans could speak their own language during the Franco regime.

Has f*ck all to do with the questionable actions of today, just thought I'd mention that. :lol:

Well it wasn't *that* bad, we could speak Catalan, the language was just barred from official use. The thing is that a huge-ass stadium like Camp Nou was a great place to hold impromptu covert political meetings when such were forbidden, away from the gaze of Franco's police. The "more than a club" motto has always been related to how the club has implicated itself in social, political and cultural affairs in a very tempestuous century in Spanish history (two dictatorships, one civil war...).

Barça's anthem is actually an "undercover" Catalan anthem (the guy that wrote the lyrics admitted so later). When singing Catalan patriotic songs would land you in jail, 100 000 souls sung it every match at the stadium.

Guest firetotheworks

Barca under Pep in 2008/2009 I think it was, when it was Henry Eto'o Messi up front is the best football I've ever seen in my life. The year when they beat Real Madrid 5-0 is probably the most impressive performance I've ever seen as well.

Definitely. I have found that Spain quite boring at times but Barca under Pep was a different animal.

VDB has always been more conservative - Spain plays with two holding players (Busquets+Alonso), while Pep only used Busquets. Thus Iniesta goes to the wing and has to track back to help Xavi cover the gap between him and the strikers, and everything becomes slower.

Again, this WC notwithstanding, can't argue with the results. The nature of international football means one or two goals conceded and you're out, there's no second leg to make up for a slip. So ultimately VDB chose this approach in order to win trophies.

Barca under Pep in 2008/2009 I think it was, when it was Henry Eto'o Messi up front is the best football I've ever seen in my life. The year when they beat Real Madrid 5-0 is probably the most impressive performance I've ever seen as well.

I think the 5-0 year (2010-2011) is the most beautiful football I have ever witnessed. I will be always be grateful to tell my offspring that I saw that team live; those times are probably over now, but I will always have them with me.

2008-2009 was a more direct team, but in 2010-2011 - with Messi as #9 - had such a flow, and intricacy of play... I would go to the Camp Nou and it was like attending a violin concerto. Calm, beautiful... the goals fell like autumn leaves, teams were disassembled with harmonious elegance... Man, I need to go rewatch some DVDs now :fwap:

Guest firetotheworks

I think the 5-0 year (2010-2011) is the most beautiful football I have ever witnessed. I will be always be grateful to tell my offspring that I saw that team live; those times are probably over now, but I will always have them with me.

Yeah, it must be so awful for you mate. :lol:

Watching Messi every week man. We go wild when Ben Arfa receives the ball on the half way line. The idea of having Messi play for you and enjoy it beyond just as a neutral sounds like being on drugs tbh.

Watching Messi every week man. We go wild when Ben Arfa receives the ball on the half way line. The idea of having Messi play for you and enjoy it beyond just as a neutral sounds like being on drugs tbh.

The 2011 CL final, when Messi scored and kicked a mic during his wild celebration, is possibly my favorite football moment ever.

That 5-0 was absolutely amazing but that was a couple of years later. Think it was the 2010/11 season (same year they beat Man Utd in the Champions League final), best football I've ever seen over a season from any team.

Guest firetotheworks

The 2011 CL final, when Messi scored and kicked a mic during his wild celebration, is possibly my favorite football moment ever.

Your team

Champions League Final

Messi

Goal

Wild celebration

It ticks every box imaginable really.

The one goal that I hold most 'symbolic' next to that Barca generation was Villa's (second?) against Real in the 5-0, when turned inside near the centre circle then played a through-ball that was stupidly good and Villa just tapped it under Casillas and it trickled in. Brilliant.

Guest firetotheworks

The one goal that I hold most 'symbolic' next to that Barca generation was Villa's (second?) against Real in the 5-0, when turned inside near the centre circle then played a through-ball that was stupidly good and Villa just tapped it under Casillas and it trickled in. Brilliant.

Argh that was amazing.

For me it was the Iniesta/Busquets one-two....both of which were flicked back heels. :lol: I was just :drool:

Guest firetotheworks

That 5-0 was absolutely amazing but that was a couple of years later. Think it was the 2010/11 season (same year they beat Man Utd in the Champions League final), best football I've ever seen over a season from any team.

They were so dominant and brilliant, but I still think that the more exciting football was when they had Eto'o as their centre forward. It might have been because it was new and had more of an impact because of it, but 08/09 was the year that they won everything as well.

They were so dominant and brilliant, but I still think that the more exciting football was when they had Eto'o as their centre forward. It might have been because it was new and had more of an impact because of it, but 08/09 was the year that they won everything as well.

Even though it was so simplistic putting Eto'o out wide and Messi in the middle in that final has pretty much changed the dynamics of football over the last couple of years.

Guardiola doesn't get near enough credit from a lot of people who just lazily think that anybody could do what he did with that Barca team.

Guest firetotheworks

Even though it was so simplistic putting Eto'o out wide and Messi in the middle in that final has pretty much changed the dynamics of football over the last couple of years.

Guardiola doesn't get near enough credit from a lot of people who just lazily think that anybody could do what he did with that Barca team.

:thup:

In footballing terms the guy's a genius imo. There's being a world class manager and then there's being a world class manager and changing the way that the sport is played. Even if it's arguably only been within the 'unstoppable' category for a few years, it forced other teams to learn and play football in a way that hadn't been done previously.

This whole Tika Taka RIP thing because Spain are out is bollocks as well, they don't even play that way anymore. Bayern are the nearest team to playing in that way now imo, but it's still not Barca 08-12 level.

:thup:

In footballing terms the guy's a genius imo. There's being a world class manager and then there's being a world class manager and changing the way that the sport is played. Even if it's arguably only been within the 'unstoppable' category for a few years, it forced other teams to learn and play football in a way that hadn't been done previously.

This whole Tika Taka RIP thing because Spain are out is bollocks as well, they don't even play that way anymore. Bayern are the nearest team to playing in that way now imo, but it's still not Barca 08-12 level.

It's not solely because Spain went out so dismally. Real Madrid's absolute trouncing of Bayern in the CL has quite a bit to do with it as well I think.