Other clubs' transfers

TBG

I have trouble believing Spurs couldn't pay those type of wages, they just don't want to.

You'd know more than me Leffe but considering who the owner is I have trouble believing it.

Although this is the price of success, if you want to be a consistent contender for trophies you'll going to have to find a way.

The new stadium is the way.

I'm not really sure what people expect us to do. All you have to do is look at the Deloitte table, or one of those Swiss Ramble pieces. The estimated wage bill for us this year is about 120M. Four clubs will be paying over 200M, while Liverpool are probably around 165M. Compare them to the revenues above.

Why are you having trouble believing this :lol:? Again, it's in black and white. Is there a way for Joe Lewis to just do what Abramovich and the Man City guys did and throw money at everything? Maybe you know one, because I just presumed that FFP meant it wasn't going to happen.

What I see is comparing with those teams,it is a fact that your players are MASSIVELY underpaid.  I honestly think the players deserve much more given their performance are top class throughout 2 seasons.  If you dont pay, they will all leave in the end.  You may say Walker is expensable, but whats next? Eriksen? Alli? Son? Dembele? Alder? 

You have to invest and retain the players now. Or else thats it.

What I see is comparing with those teams,it is a fact that your players are MASSIVELY underpaid.  I honestly think the players deserve much more given their performance are top class throughout 2 seasons.  If you dont pay, they will all leave in the end.  You may say Walker is expensable, but whats next? Eriksen? Alli? Son? Dembele? Alder? 

see what leffe is saying like but this is the crux of it, spurs are probably approaching a crossroads where they need to push on or it'll be this limbo forever and they'll have to replace half a team

I have trouble believing Spurs couldn't pay those type of wages, they just don't want to.

You'd know more than me Leffe but considering who the owner is I have trouble believing it.

Although this is the price of success, if you want to be a consistent contender for trophies you'll going to have to find a way.

The new stadium is the way.

I'm not really sure what people expect us to do. All you have to do is look at the Deloitte table, or one of those Swiss Ramble pieces. The estimated wage bill for us this year is about 120M. Four clubs will be paying over 200M, while Liverpool are probably around 165M. Compare them to the revenues above.

Why are you having trouble believing this :lol:? Again, it's in black and white. Is there a way for Joe Lewis to just do what Abramovich and the Man City guys did and throw money at everything? Maybe you know one, because I just presumed that FFP meant it wasn't going to happen.

Sell Sissoko and thats a guaranteed saving of 24mil once the instalments stop.

I guess I'm on the wrong track. They deserve the money that Chelsea or Man U can pay, so we should pay everyone an extra 50K-100K per week.Start paying the youth team 20Kpw. Maybe it will all work out. Or if we can't, then just sell everybody who's any good to somebody who can afford to pay them "the market rate".

I'm serious. Maybe there's something I'm missing and you're all seeing. I'm programmed to believe that you build a club sustainably, paying wages that reflect your revenue. We also have a new stadium to pay for, and I'm too tired and old to work out the intricacies of how that impacts our costs and bottom line. We pay the extra, what. 100M or so each year to bring us closer to "market rate". What happens next? Genuine question.

I'm programmed to believe that you build a club sustainably, paying wages that reflect your revenue.

players aren't thought, and you've spent a decade (?) getting to this point...to see it all fall apart now would surely be devastating

I guess I'm on the wrong track. They deserve the money that Chelsea or Man U can pay, so we should pay everyone an extra 50K-100K per week.Start paying the youth team 20Kpw. Maybe it will all work out. Or if we can't, then just sell everybody who's any good to somebody who can afford to pay them "the market rate".

I'm serious. Maybe there's something I'm missing and you're all seeing. I'm programmed to believe that you build a club sustainably, paying wages that reflect your revenue. We also have a new stadium to pay for, and I'm too tired and old to work out the intricacies of how that impacts our costs and bottom line. We pay the extra, what. 100M or so each year to bring us closer to "market rate". What happens next? Genuine question.

What happens next? You win the league, win the champions league, your fanbase goes up, your income goes up.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but if one team is offering £60k a week and the other £120k a week, which would a player with a fairly short career join?

What happens next? You win the league, win the champions league, your fanbase goes up, your income goes up.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but if one team is offering £60k a week and the other £120k a week, which would a player with a fairly short career join?

:lol: Can people please stop telling me that! I've grasped that concept.

Agree with Leffe's strategy of recycling the peripheral players for big money to the Citeh's etc who will pay big bucks for Stones, Sterling, Rodwell, Delph etc :lol:

As long as they hold onto Kane, Lloris, Alli, Son, Eriksen, Alderweild and players of that ilk, they'll be fine. Of course, they need to keep Poch who can coach the replacements for those leave into buying into the team ethos which has made them so good. If they can do this for long enough, their revenue and ability to pay more will gradually increase too.

I don't think Leffe has acknowledged that Spurs need to win silverware though. Soon. :bluestar: :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I think Spurs have done fairly well with their existing way of doing things like. I'm not suggesting it's an endless well that they can continue to tap without paying extra money, but for me they're very close to winning the title. They shouldn't throw away the way that they've been doing things just because a couple of their less-important players think they deserve a higher wage. When Kane, Alli, Eriksson, and Alderweireld start kicking up a fuss, maybe then.

In fairness we have seen before that selling players doesn't automatically mean it all falls apart, i would argue the most important thing is keeping Pochettino.

no but its a thing where it only takes one screw up and your falling behind and what good players you kept suddenly start listening to those large wage offers being whispered to them by their agent.

Guest firetotheworks

If I was a Spurs fan, I'd be well annoyed at people talking about players leaving, when they have just had a class season.

As a football fan, I'm well annoyed. Just as annoyed as I was when the same thing happened with Leicester. Football is completely fucked, the game is completely rigged aside from the odd miracle.

I think Spurs have done fairly well with their existing way of doing things like. I'm not suggesting it's an endless well that they can continue to tap without paying extra money, but for me they're very close to winning the title. They shouldn't throw away the way that they've been doing things just because a couple of their less-important players think they deserve a higher wage. When Kane, Alli, Eriksson, and Alderweireld start kicking up a fuss, maybe then.

I don't think anyone's suggesting they go completely mental, just loosening it a bit to help keep the important players who deserve it and add a few here and there.

Most sides in the PL are genuinely thick when it comes to signing players so they don't need to do a massive amount from here to win the league assuming they keep the core of it together.

Arsenal were in a similar position a few years ago when it comes to wage cap etc etc, it just so happened that them spending more money coincided with Wenger declining as a coach.

Although in fairness to Spurs on that end Arsenal had a lot of money coming in due to paying off Emirates debts etc etc.

Agree with Leffe's strategy of recycling the peripheral players for big money to the Citeh's etc who will pay big bucks for Stones, Sterling, Rodwell, Delph etc :lol:

As long as they hold onto Kane, Lloris, Alli, Son, Eriksen, Alderweild and players of that ilk, they'll be fine. Of course, they need to keep Poch who can coach the replacements for those leave into buying into the team ethos which has made them so good. If they can do this for long enough, their revenue and ability to pay more will gradually increase too.

I don't think Leffe has acknowledged that Spurs need to win silverware though. Soon. :bluestar: :lol:

I did right at the beginning :lol:. It's the thing that a lot of rival fans have thrown at us this past couple of years - "none of it means anything unless you win a trophy", "Poch is nothing until he's won a trophy". We get it. You just need a couple of breaks. If we'd not drawn Chelsea in the semi then I suspect we'd be in the final. Arsenal have done very well in the FA Cup recently, but they've had some very generous draws to help them on the way. All you can do is build the best team you can to maximize your chances.

I would like us to pay more wages, of course I would. As I understand it, we use bonuses to bump wages up, which is probably the only way we can do it. We have loosened it a bit, and it pushed up everyone's wages, and yet we are still in a situation where Lingard and Lovren are earning 100Kpw. That's not loosening it a bit, that's pretty much doubling our wages.

It doesn't help that the media are complicit. It's not the first time that these stories have come up when we have a Chelsea game on the horizon or they're feeling threatened.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think anyone's suggesting they go completely mental, just loosening it a bit to help keep the important players who deserve it and add a few here and there.

Most sides in the PL are genuinely thick when it comes to signing players so they don't need to do a massive amount from here to win the league assuming they keep the core of it together.

Arsenal were in a similar position a few years ago when it comes to wage cap etc etc, it just so happened that them spending more money coincided with Wenger declining as a coach.

Although in fairness to Spurs on that end Arsenal had a lot of money coming in due to paying off Emirates debts etc etc.

It's not what I was suggesting either. :lol: Loosening up for Walker and Dier, though? Nah, no way. Like I said, when Kane, Alli etc start kicking up a fuss, do it then.

That's what i mean, Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Lloris etc etc that's the players you should be doing everything you can to keep( unless you can somehow find better) not saying they are not either, just speaking in generalities :lol:

They'll be fine selling the likes of Dier and Walker etc etc as long the manager stays.

If I was a Spurs fan, I'd be well annoyed at people talking about players leaving, when they have just had a class season.

As a football fan, I'm well annoyed. Just as annoyed as I was when the same thing happened with Leicester. Football is completely f***ed, the game is completely rigged aside from the odd miracle.

Yup. All of this. I'm annoyed that the bigger clubs are in a different league, but we're in a different league to many clubs, so I can't cry about it too much. I get more annoyed when "journalists" start stirring, or when fans talk about a "market rate" that is set by teams that have near-infinite money.

Simple. How many years does it take us to win the Champions League? One? Two? How much does our income go up?

I mean, I do agree to an extent. There is definitely an argument that now is the time to boost wages a bit. In a year or two we should have a brand spanking new stadium, and hopefully we can start generating some serious matchday income. If we keep the team together we should be in the perfect position to push on. I simply don't know how much money we need to put aside to pay for the stadium though. And lest we forget, there are fifteen or so teams across the continent with more or comparable money, and our revenue is still only sixth in our own league. Man City spent 200M this year to be not as good as us, and Man U spent 150M to be even worse. They will spend the same again.

Does feel like you need to win something next year. Arguably been the best team in the league for large patches of the last 2 years and will undoubtedly be strong again next season, but eventually players or managers leave, other teams get stronger etc.

Hard to really pinpoint that extra 10% you're missing, the defence, keeper midfield and attack are all already really strong. No obvious weak links looking in from the outside.

Does feel like you need to win something next year. Arguably been the best team in the league for large patches of the last 2 years and will undoubtedly be strong again next season, but eventually players or managers leave, other teams get stronger etc.

Hard to really pinpoint that extra 10% you're missing, the defence, keeper midfield and attack are all already really strong. No obvious weak links looking in from the outside.

A bit of extra luck, mainly. It's abundantly clear that you have a better chance if you don't have to worry about Europe, like Leicester and then Chelsea. Then you factor in injuries (which may be connected to the lack of Europe) - Leicester and then Chelsea again.

There's the perennial argument that we might be missing that one truly world-class attacker or midfielder - Sanchez, Hazard, Aguero (?). Bottom line, we're really bloody good all round. If we win out, we end up with just one point less than the "Invincibles" managed (with more goals scored and a far better goal difference). And we probably still finish second. Frankly, that's just bad luck.