Match-going fans - deserving of blame?

Beren
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just don't see how a reduction in attendances would make him sell. It would just make him even more tight with money. Maybe if we could get attendances down by 50% it would 'send a message', but surely nobody believes that's actually possible?

IMO best try to enjoy the 90 minutes as and the match day experience as much as you can.

f***ing hell man :lol:

You sound like a f***ing lowly medieval peasant  :lol:

I just don't see how a reduction in attendances would make him sell. It would just make him even more tight with money. Maybe if we could get attendances down by 50% it would 'send a message', but surely nobody believes that's actually possible?

IMO best try to enjoy the 90 minutes as and the match day experience as much as you can.

Jesus wept. This has to be an insider.

Realism more like. I'm all for protesting but it just never works. SJP will be near full no matter what is done.

IMO getting the media's attention is the only way to get anything done but even that's hard when there's been the Chicken Bros and Vincent Tan doing their thing recently. Sadly I believe another relegation is the only way to get anything significant going on.

We only have one way of fighting this and it just seems people are doing the opposite despite being treat with constant contempt.

There's just no significant opposition to the utter s*** we're being put through and that needs to change.

:thup: Spot on.

We will of course though see in this thread the vacuous argument that being a supporter means going to matches regardless of any circumstance and that it is even somehow admirable to actively enable those who take the p*ss out of you. Which is akin to some sort of retarded old military romanticism like charging at machine guns.

I wouldn't claim that going makes me a better fan than anyone.

But you have to consider a lot of people have been going to games since they were young.  If you and your mates have an entire social life built around the act of going to the game, if you haven't missed a game in a decade, giving that up to go shopping with your lass is anathema.

Your gas & electric company take the p*ss out of you, upping prices way above inflation year after year  and roll around in the profits.  You don't stop using gas and electricity.

Our banks have been involved in bringing the globe to near complete financial collapse.  yet they have not been jailed or lost any earnings even...we still use their banks!!

People much prefer complaining to turning their world upside down :)

Is this for real? You need gas and electricity to stay alive. Much like you need banks/some form of account.

Other energy sources and banks outside of the 5 main UK ones are available.

Personally I find myself caught inbetween a rock and a hard place. I fully support the idea of people en mass giving up their season tickets etc. But at the same time I know I won't join, to a certain extent I still enjoy going to the match, even if good football is few and far between and usually found in any shirt other than black and white.

I do feel at that our inability to agree on a corse of action as a collective group will be any sort is protest's downfall, as well as our unimportance, which is a pretty tough thing to say really, The fat cunt in charge only cares about his balance sheet, and we are increasingly a small part of that, this summer the club will get £60million from tv right, while to reduce income by £10million roughly 20,000 people would have to give up their season ticket.

Ah fuck, maybe I am part of the problem.

Guest Roger Kint

Realism more like. I'm all for protesting but it just never works. SJP will be near full no matter what is done.

IMO getting the media's attention is the only way to get anything done but even that's hard when there's been the Chicken Bros and Vincent Tan doing their thing recently. Sadly I believe another relegation is the only way to get anything significant going on.

What on earth could/would the media do? They dont care about our fans at all, they also know what happens when they speak out(which they wouldnt on this)

No guarantees a relegation would change things either as 1, it didnt last time and 2, who would be willing to take us on afterwards when no fucker is right now?

Guest Roger Kint

Stop attending for 4 or 5 games in a row. Stop buying merchandise.

Do that and all will be resolved very quickly.......... or else just keep on complaining and do nothing... same old same old.

So you think if people didnt use their season tickets for a month he would quickly sell? Based on what?

Do that and all will be resolved very quickly.......... or else just keep on complaining and do nothing... same old same old.

4 or 5 games? If I'm an insider then you are thick as mince.

plenty of negative headlines before around ashley, a lot worse than anything that could really be summoned now (the relegation season and summer after it were probably as bad as the headlines will ever get) and he's still here. Nor does it affect any other owner the media disapproves of like Tan, The Venkys, anyone who's been at Leeds for the last decade or the fella trying to change the name of Hull.

Relegation is the outside chance but more than likely would be a repeat of the previous one where he'll "protect his investment"

What you talking about dips**t. A businessman only cares about money.

You're some sort of ridiculous apologist: whats your angle? Sports Direct employee or something.

If a customer doesn't like a product then they should stop buying it: the company then has to change or cease to make a profit.

What on earth could/would the media do? They dont care about our fans at all, they also know what happens when they speak out(which they wouldnt on this)

No guarantees a relegation would change things either as 1, it didnt last time and 2, who would be willing to take us on afterwards when no f***er is right now?

My point was more that the general consensus among the media is that we are still having a decent season. Big public read the papers and papers have impact on their views. The recent poll showed that people really aren't that arsed about the situation. Protests never work unless there's a significant portion of the fanbase behind it. Even then the impact of it could be anything, some things could change or everything stays the same.

Relegation guarantees nothing either but at least it would take away the national advertisement space from Ashley. We're basically stuck with Ashley as long as he fancies owning this club and I can't see anything changing that.

You're some sort of ridiculous apologist: whats your angle? Sports Direct employee or something.

If a customer doesn't like a product then they should stop buying it: the company then has to change or cease to make a profit.

the problem is (and its one not just concerning us but everyone in the premier league) is the increasing irrelevance of the fan even to profits. Say you manage to get half the crowd missing for games (no mean feet never got that low even in the championship) thats a cut around £10-12m roughly going off recent accounts. The increase in tv cash is around £20m. And the likely response from Ashley is likely to be less "oh god I must change my ways and spend money and get a top class manager" and more cut expenditure and/or reduce ticket prices to attract more casual fans to fill the ground and make back some income. The latter of which would actually get him positive headlines.

Few hundred N-O members skip few games and all will be resolved quickly? That's so naive. :lol:

the problem is (and its one not just concerning us but everyone in the premier league) is the increasing irrelevance of the fan even to profits. Say you manage to get half the crowd missing for games (no mean feet never got that low even in the championship) thats a cut around £10-12m roughly going off recent accounts. The increase in tv cash is around £20m. And the likely response from Ashley is likely to be less "oh god I must change my ways and spend money and get a top class manager" and more cut expenditure and/or reduce ticket prices to attract more casual fans to fill the ground and make back some income. The latter of which would actually get him positive headlines.

With the causal fans don't agree as otherwise there would be far bigger crowds for the cup games and there has also been a number of times when areas have been reduced to 15 quid and not sold out. If he loses 10 - 12 million a year he will certainly take note as he is a businessman and they don't like losing money.

I'm getting to the point where I'd accept red bull tbh

lets not go overboard, ashley's degrading nufc, Red Bull would kill nufc and replace it with their own monstrosity

Would they? How sure are you that Ashley won't pull something like that somewhere along the line? We might get changed to newcastle red bulls, equally Ashley could change our name, did it with the stadium

Ashley could do lot of things but he won't change the name of the club to Newcastle SportDirects.

Guest antz1uk

I don't blame the fans, I know how hard it is supporting this club and the hard decisions it takes to give up going, it's like being a battered wife/husband. you just can't give it up like that. it takes several goes. however i do think those that go are enabling him too, he knows he can get away with it so will carry on doing it, we've seen he will only spend mony when he thinks his invesment is under threat.

Wait, so people are saying that putting your own money into this dead-end regime is more beneficial than ploughing more money into his coffers? Days like yesterday and the Yohan Cabaye sale will only happen next season, and the season after. It happened last season, that wasn't a fluke.

As HTTP said, what Ashley has done in the past to us would not have been allowed at other clubs. NUFC before Ashley for me, and that means turning my back.

Couldn't resist coming down to your level for a bit, sorry.

Couldn't resist coming down to your level for a bit, sorry.

Your level? You have no idea who I am. And you are no rocket scientist by any means: that is quite apparent.