Match-going fans - deserving of blame?

Beren
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest alijmitchell

Perhaps we should also look at the other side of the coin. Are those, that have given up on the club until the regime is gone (i.e. quite a few of us on here), partially to blame for not doing more to highlight bad practice, or try to change things?

Poison sports direct and you'll soon see the back of him. Literally the only way IMO. That or direct a long standing, relentless campaign played out in the media that will drive him out. He's got it so easy

Agree with this Sports Direct is the way to get him out, and then he can take over Rangers.

Poison sports direct and you'll soon see the back of him. Literally the only way IMO. That or direct a long standing, relentless campaign played out in the media that will drive him out. He's got it so easy

Damaging his brand would be a nightmare for him, I'm not sure we're capable of that though.

Guest alijmitchell

It strikes me like whether you go or not, we all seem to have the same conclusion on what are capabilities are as a fan base towards removing him - i.e. there is very little we could do.

Damaging his brand would be a nightmare for him, I'm not sure we're capable of that though.

I don't think we will but I don't think it would be too hard. Banners/damaging signs/ protests outside shops/etc etc would eventually get rid of him

Said some weeks ago that should be done.

I'd go that far to say that doing some "action" in the shops would be the way forward.

I don't think we will but I don't think it would be too hard. Banners/damaging signs/ protests outside shops/etc etc would eventually get rid of him

Said some weeks ago that should be done.

I'd go that far to say that doing some "action" in the shops would be the way forward.

100%. You look at Italian/German clubs where ultras have a big say in what happens, rightly it wrongly. Targeting his shops would be the first logical step. Anti SD banners at the ground, pieces to the media. It's doable, but it won't happen

It has to happen.

Easy for me to say, though, because I don't live in area - not even in the country.

Guest alijmitchell

1. Political Parliamentary Route

2. Protesting, ransacking etc.

3. Investigative journalism into NUFC and Sports Direct Malpractice

4. Collective share purchase in SD

5. Fan buyout of NUFC (as was proposed and failed a while back)

100%. You look at Italian/German clubs where ultras have a big say in what happens, rightly it wrongly. Targeting his shops would be the first logical step. Anti SD banners at the ground, pieces to the media. It's doable, but it won't happen

Anti SD banners wouldn't last 2 minutes in the ground.

In fantasy land, below 10k attendance and protests outside the ground burning SportsDirect shit would probably garner some pressure for Ashley to really just get out.

In reality, it will be almost a full house no matter what. I don't blame any fan for going to see their club, but some massive protest tarnishing SportsDirect instead of anything else would help.

1. Political Parliamentary Route

2. Protesting, ransacking etc.

3. Investigative journalism into NUFC and Sports Direct Malpractice

4. Collective share purchase in SD

5. Fan buyout of NUFC (as was proposed and failed a while back)

O0

We only have one way of fighting this and it just seems people are doing the opposite despite being treat with constant contempt.

There's just no significant opposition to the utter s*** we're being put through and that needs to change.

:thup: Spot on.

We will of course though see in this thread the vacuous argument that being a supporter means going to matches regardless of any circumstance and that it is even somehow admirable to actively enable those who take the p*ss out of you. Which is akin to some sort of retarded old military romanticism like charging at machine guns.

I wouldn't claim that going makes me a better fan than anyone.

But you have to consider a lot of people have been going to games since they were young.  If you and your mates have an entire social life built around the act of going to the game, if you haven't missed a game in a decade, giving that up to go shopping with your lass is anathema.

Your gas & electric company take the piss out of you, upping prices way above inflation year after year  and roll around in the profits.  You don't stop using gas and electricity.

Our banks have been involved in bringing the globe to near complete financial collapse.  yet they have not been jailed or lost any earnings even...we still use their banks!!

People much prefer complaining to turning their world upside down :)

Guest alijmitchell

We only have one way of fighting this and it just seems people are doing the opposite despite being treat with constant contempt.

There's just no significant opposition to the utter s*** we're being put through and that needs to change.

:thup: Spot on.

We will of course though see in this thread the vacuous argument that being a supporter means going to matches regardless of any circumstance and that it is even somehow admirable to actively enable those who take the p*ss out of you. Which is akin to some sort of retarded old military romanticism like charging at machine guns.

I wouldn't claim that going makes me a better fan than anyone.

But you have to consider a lot of people have been going to games since they were young.  If you and your mates have an entire social life built around the act of going to the game, if you haven't missed a game in a decade, giving that up to go shopping with your lass is anathema.

Your gas & electric company take the p*ss out of you, upping prices way above inflation year after year  and roll around in the profits.  You don't stop using gas and electricity.

Our banks have been involved in bringing the globe to near complete financial collapse.  yet they have not been jailed or lost any earnings even...we still use their banks!!

People much prefer complaining to turning their world upside down :)

Is this for real? You need gas and electricity to stay alive. Much like you need banks/some form of account.

It's a shame really, you're not going to get a better opportunity for a boycoutt. No chance of relegation, not playing for Europe, but then I suppose people will say "we're midtable, things aren't that bad". I think it's been obvious for a long time that it's the only way to exert some pressure, a half empty SJP for premier league games would be big news.

Personally i'm as apathetic as ever about the sport in general, I wish cricket or Rugby made sense as an alternative, but they seem ridiculous to me.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Blame for what? Nobody chose Ashley in the first place and once an owner has a good grip on the club, it's their plaything it will be hard to push him out. Just look at the ManUtd fans who were waving their gold and green scarves around: is it changing anything at their club  :lol: ? Unless he goes bankrupt ,is involved in some big scam or scandal we won't see the back of him yet. Also you may ask yourselves to what degree do fans actually dislike Ashley, how many fans  go to protests against him. I myself ain't satisfied but when you look around in the PL and Championship and see the chaos at other clubs, it makes you become more realistic. Ashley & Pardew won't lead us to any kind of success or achievement but we'll be in the top half challenging for the Europa League places. The outside view by the media and pundits is that we are having a good season and still challenging for Europe i.e we are where we deserve to be. So any protest would be seen as delusion of grandeur

Blame for what? Nobody chose Ashley in the first place and once an owner has a good grip on the club, it's their plaything it will be hard to push him out. Just look at the ManUtd fans who were waving their gold and green scarves around: is it changing anything at their club  :lol: ? Unless he goes bankrupt ,is involved in some big scam or scandal we won't see the back of him yet. Also you may ask yourselves to what degree do fans actually dislike Ashley, how many fans  go to protests against him. I myself ain't satisfied but when you look around in the PL and Championship and see the chaos at other clubs, it makes you become more realistic. Ashley & Pardew won't lead us to any kind of success or achievement but we'll be in the top half challenging for the Europa League places. The outside view by the media and pundits is that we are having a good season and still challenging for Europe i.e we are where we deserve to be. So any protest would be seen as delusion of grandeur

You're either a wum or you've got serious problems.

If he does take over Rangers then maybe this exercise of lack of investment and selling assets is primarily to plough into them.

I can't see how he'd want to run 2 clubs at the same time tbh.  He'll be wanting to inject the cash to get them back up into the premier asap, then when it's Celtic and Rangers dominance again he'd have a more realistic chance of his shitty brand getting Champions League coverage.

Just hope to god he's recouping his loan to fuck off and ruin somebody else's club.

I can't see how we're going to be challenging for Europe in the coming seasons with our current transfer policy, i'd say a relegation battle is more likely.

Other than the clueless prick "in charge" Cabaye's (along with others) loss of form last season was a great deal to do with our struggle, even then we were even more clueless in the games he didn't play in. The thought of a whole season without his input isn't worth considering and unless we replace him like for like in the summer... Well next season will be embarrassing to say the least.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

You're either a wum or you've got serious problems.

Or maybe you can't accept people sharing their point of view without jumping on your high horses and calling for WUMery. You're a bit like the posters on RTG who call other people Mags just for having different opinions of their clubs and players.

Not worthy of blame, but if you want something to change, then you have to do something other than turn up on match day, pay your money and sit quietly. Everything requires organisation though, other than just not turning up.

Obviously a hell of a lot easier to say from afar, than if I was sat here with a season ticket debating what to do.

Can't blame fans from wanting to go and watch match with blind hope and optimism. I lost all of that years ago and feel I only go because of the day out with the match often being an unwelcome distraction. It hurts me to cancel my season ticket after so long and knowing that our club is going nowhere and is being ran by dickheads.

Would I protest outside of ground etc - no because nothing would happen and I would be wasting my time. It needs to hit the fat cunt in the pocket and it means a concerted effort by all fans to avoid at least one game, that is the only way he will listen.

In terms of match going fans and atmosphere, it really is shocking atmosphere these days and quiet as fuck. Not surprising when we turn in the kind of dross we have been for so long and people can't be bothered anymore.

I think one thing that would go some way to convince the majority, is for the media to take a concrete stand against him. Not just saying there are questionmarks regarding ambition etc., but really get onboard with the "Mike Ashley Out" agenda. In other words, be outspoken and clear that he needs to pack up and leave.

Like someone said above here, the remainder of this season seem so incredibly pointless, there's really not going to be a better, and less vulnerable to the team, opportunity to make some sort of effort in terms of protesting and boycotting