Match-going fans - deserving of blame?

Beren
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think the divisions within our fanbase are one of the things holding the club back.

A consensus on how bad the things are appear to be some way off though.

The media doesn't help as I'm yet to see anyone within the media really be critical of Ashley et al.

media on a national level don't care, sure the reporters who work for the nationals probably care but the guys deciding whats headline news in London don't. Why care about us when there's a title race between two oil funded super teams to get excited over? Or Man Utd only being above average this season how can the fans cope with the horrors of being 7th?! Or the race for the 4th place trophy? All we're worthy of is an occasional tut tut in MA's direction and not any kind of investigative forensic analysis of what Ashley is doing at the club.

I'm not sure I agree with this to be honest.

In the past we've been massive news in the national media.

The lack of dissent from the fans means the media look at us as if everything is OK.

lets just say I have very little faith in the media.

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference, bad headlines don't affect Ashley badly hell they're probably a benefit since the name sports direct gets thrown around a lot when referring to him as its owner and thats a lot of free advertising

I think the divisions within our fanbase are one of the things holding the club back.

A consensus on how bad the things are appear to be some way off though.

The media doesn't help as I'm yet to see anyone within the media really be critical of Ashley et al.

media on a national level don't care, sure the reporters who work for the nationals probably care but the guys deciding whats headline news in London don't. Why care about us when there's a title race between two oil funded super teams to get excited over? Or Man Utd only being above average this season how can the fans cope with the horrors of being 7th?! Or the race for the 4th place trophy? All we're worthy of is an occasional tut tut in MA's direction and not any kind of investigative forensic analysis of what Ashley is doing at the club.

I'm not sure I agree with this to be honest.

In the past we've been massive news in the national media.

The lack of dissent from the fans means the media look at us as if everything is OK.

lets just say I have very little faith in the media.

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference, bad headlines don't affect Ashley badly hell they're probably a benefit since the name sports direct gets thrown around a lot when referring to him as its owner and thats a lot of free advertising

I have no faith in them either mate.

The point I'm making is more the fact the media are the ones which set the tone. They are the ones who will shape the overall impression of the club and the level of fan engagement.

You know what they say:

He who controls the media controls the people.

No blmae can be pointed at the fans whatsoever.

The fans customers have absolutly zero say in anything.

I agree totally fans not to blame at all but if there is going to be change unless some rich arab comes floating by (unlikely) then the fans do need to make their own choice as to if they can play a part in forcing is hand. Some will but many won't so we are stuck with the fat c***.

e's a stubborn t*** though; 50 butts in seats or 50,000 it won't matter - belts would just get tightened further; he won't change his ways.

If you get 50 butts in a seat and lose a massive amount of seats due to boycott it will take note as the adverse publicity will take an effect as he becomes more and more under pressure and starts to lose money. Not a couple of thousand though it would have to be a mass amount - not going to happen so nothing will change and in my opinion with being a season ticket holder for 40 years, if your not prepared to do something about it then you can't really keep shouting from the rooftops about what is happening.

with the size of the tv deal its almost absorble if he just cuts spending enough (since its not actually increased in the slightest) which he has proven he's more than willing to do.

If you think that's right just go on accepting it and go to the matches your choice and right entirely but then don't complain when it continues on that's all I'm saying.

The fact I have only really seen Stifler propose that the fans are to blame tells you everything you need to know about the validity of this argument.. :lol:

How can there not be some blame directed at match going fans?

They are enablers.

A customer has one way to let his/her opinion be known and Newcastle fans are not availing of it.

Match going fans are Mike Ashley enablers.

In 1999 Matchday income was 46% of turnover.

In the accounts that came out for 2013 it was 25%.

IF every fan stopped going (which will never happen), Sky would still pay him 3 times as much as he's lost out on.

He could give tickets away to fill the stadium.

He'd sell tickets in a deal with Groupon and get the quiet family day out crowd in who know no better.

IF every fan stopped going (which will never happen), Sky would still pay him 3 times as much as he's lost out on.

He'd sell tickets in a deal with Groupon and get the quiet family day out crowd in who know no better.

Your point makes no sense to be honest.

25% lost revenue is still 25% lost revenue regardless of how much Sky/BT gives us.

That's a really pathetic attitude man.

Every single human being that ever lived in an oppressed environment could have found hypothetical excuses why to not bother trying to upset or rebel against an authority.

No doubt that if you were Vietnamese during the 60's you would be shouting from the rooftops about the military superiority of the USA and not to bother to fight as it's hopeless and will only result in death.

25% lost revenue is still 25% lost revenue regardless of how much Sky/BT gives us.

Those figures are based on the last accounts.  The new TV deal will add another £20m and make it closer to 15%

Realistically, the most succesful campaign imaginable would leave about 20,000 still going so it's only 7% of income lost.

He'd still be earning more in 2013/2014 than he did in 12/13.

Guest alijmitchell

The fans can't reasonably have much of the blame apportioned to them for not making things better, as many have said there is little way of budging those in charge without the financial clout. Has there ever truly been a successful fan revolt with regards to British Football? On the other had I do think some are complicit in the way this club is run. Plenty fans complain about the football, the way the club is run, but keep coming back for more and more and more. We're not just talking season ticket buyers, but those who queue for replica strips, buy the merchandise etc. You can't complain about the machine if you are giving money directly to it. I do take on board that for some in the ground, they barely give this a thought, and just want to turn up and watch their team play football, or buy the kit for their bairns. The problem is, that if a significant number of those people continue to do this, we will continue to get served this shit.

Those figures are based on the last accounts.  The new TV deal will add another £20m and make it closer to 15%

Realistically, the most succesful campaign imaginable would leave about 20,000 still going so it's only 7% of income lost.

He'd still be earning more in 2013/2014 than he did in 12/13.

It's still lost income though happy and a clear message that we've had enough.

How could media outlets ignore a big drop off in our attendance coordinated with other action.

Need clarification on 'blame' tbh. You can't attribute blame in the traditional sense to the fans for Ashley's actions, he is mismanaging the club by not investing in it and pursuing it's potential, and that is ultimately down to him.

Personally I've stopped going to games and won't go back until he's gone, but that's more down to self-respect rather than hoping it will force him closer to the exit it door, unfortunately I think they'll just be more younger people and ignorant people to buy tickets off him.

The best way to get him out is to expose our displeasure in the media as far as possible so the subject sticks and brings negative press to Sports Direct, which is clearly what he cares about. That should be the focus imo.

Every single human being that ever lived in an oppressed environment could have found hypothetical excuses why to not bother trying to upset or rebel against an authority.

No doubt that if you were Vietnamese during the 60's you would be shouting from the rooftops about the military superiority of the USA and not to bother to fight as it's hopeless and will only result in death.

:lol:

No, I'm considering whether or not to renew myself, but I'm not expecting it to have any impact.

No, I'm considering whether or not to renew myself, but I'm not expecting it to have any impact.

Guest alijmitchell

Oh and on the manager front - if you thought MA would get rid of Pardew based on fan feelings, then those that still support Pardew can possibly have some of the blame apportioned to them for the continuation of his management here.

I reckon the 69th (44 years since we won owt) minute of every game should be the "shame on Ashley" minute.  If there's people that have to go, the whole stadium should sing about him getting out of club for a minute, then get back to the game.

It would become expected so as not to affect the players but every televised game we had would have to draw attention to it.

I'll never critcize anybody for turning up. Likewise i'd never tell anyone not to go.

But this much is true - as long as people turn up every week, or buy season tickets to be be more accurate, then Ashley is going nowhere.

Like i've said many times though, it's over for me until this cunt is gone or has a major change of heart. Paying money to support a club that has no ambition whatsoever is to me just pointless. If the team finish higher up the league the better players will be sold off so we fall down again and balance out the max profit / lowest position that Ashley wants. For me you might as well just send the cheque straight to Ashley and cut out the middle man.