Match-going fans - deserving of blame?

Beren
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sorry but the better the devil you know implication is utter bullshit.  This is the hallmark of stagnant thinking.

Well as long as you admit you want change, even though you don't know what it would be. That's a fair enough conclusion, but so is doubt about it.

People staying with their "security" no matter how shit it is rather than taking a chance is the same?  With that attitude, we'd still be roving bands of hominids.  Civilization would have been still-born.

:lol:

You might be overdoing the comparison there a bit, but I see what you mean.

It's not like I actively want to have Ashley as our owner, I'm just aware of the number of mentalists and charlatans that are in charge of football clubs.

Forest try to get promoted every year. That's better than what we've got now.

This sums it up for me.

Football clubs exist to win stuff. To climb the leagues, and improve year on year. If you're not interested in doing that then you might as well not bother. We aren't a football club anymore, we're just column on a spreadsheet that shows a healthy figure for Mike Ashley.

Guest alijmitchell

I'd take a relegation if it meant that we changed to a sensible, intelligent, football minded owner.

This is a no brainer I suppose, only question is if it's likely to happen.

Difficult to say, obviously. The argument would be that relegation would decrease overall commercial revenue, and advertising opportunities for the SD brand, which I think we're almost all in agreement is the raison d'etre for Ashley's current involvement with NUFC. There's a chance that relegation will no longer make the business viable from Ashley's point of view and push him towards selling. I think the 09 argument is pertinent though, and wasn't he rumoured to be keen to sell then? He didn't in the end, but there were reports I'm sure.

As I said yesterday in the match thread, albeit a bit crudely, I have zero patience for hypocrisy among fans. I was under the impression that a sizable population of SJP faithful are supportive of the status quo to some degree or another (generally to the extent of supporting Pardew as manager). Which makes the shouts of "BOOOOO!" raining down on Pardew, the players, etc., impossible to stomach. You don't get to be critical while simultaneously lapping up the stale milk set out for you by ownership and management.

Now, I've also been reliably informed that perhaps this particular group of people isn't as large as it seems. Which is good to hear.

I'm not a season ticket holder, nor am I in a position to be one in the foreseeable future. Everyone has a different reason for attending matches and it doesn't make sense to lump together and demonize every person who goes to SJP. I can't say I'd give up my season tickets if I had them, so I personally can't expect others to do so themselves.

Also, the sarcastic shouts of "SHOOOOT!" aimed at Tiote every. single. time. he touches the ball are completely worthless. If you're among those match-goers responsible for perpetuating this stupid chanting, kindly shut the fuck up. Thank you.

The main crux of my post was of a hyperthetical scenario, whereby if he were to sell up and we were to get an owner, not necessarily rich, just wanting us to do the best we can on and off the pitch I'd take the heartache of relegation today. It's the limbo and the indefinite mediocrity that hurts the most.

The better the devil you know bullshit doesn't wash with me, not here, not now. I know, no matter what, there's always the possibility of worse, but right now is that not a risk worth taking? This current regime has no plan that involves football, no desire for the club, it's Groundhog Day.

The only thing that will force him out is an all out assault on the SD share price. Anyone any ideas for that? Stink bombs 3 times a day, everyday at some of his err "flagship" stores would be a start. That will hurt him far,far more than a half empty SJP.

He'd probably just buy shares cheaply if they were down and then sell them again when the price went back up.

If someone worthy wants us, they'd buy us now. Not sure what boycotts, etc is going to do. Dropping a division = dropping the asking price = more likely to get someone without the gumph to do anything worthwhile with and all of a sudden 8th would look sexy as fuck.

We don't necessarily need anyone with gumph, though. We need someone who will maximise the club's income and invest it's own profit with a view to improving on the pitch, every season. At the least that's what we need. You or I could do that man.

Incredible to think where we'd be if we bought a few players with real quality to improve the team every window, and appointed a manager who knows how to coach and use effective tactics. We'd be formidable.

We're one of the few clubs that don't actually need to the wealth of Man City to compete with the big boys. We're so suppressed its untrue.

We will of course though see in this thread the vacuous argument that being a supporter means going to matches regardless of any circumstance and that it is even somehow admirable to actively enable those who take the p*ss out of you. Which is akin to some sort of retarded old military romanticism like charging at machine guns.

Popped over to TT to gauge the reaction to the derby loss and found this gem from HappyFace:

How do football followers not have any inkling of the mindset a fellow supporter has? A mindset that says you support your team through thick and thin, one that has an element of pride in not missing a game in 10 years, 20 years however bad it got. We kept going after relegation we'll not stop because we're 8th and lost a few derbies.

We only have one way of fighting this and it just seems people are doing the opposite despite being treat with constant contempt.

There's just no significant opposition to the utter s*** we're being put through and that needs to change.

:thup: Spot on.

We will of course though see in this thread the vacuous argument that being a supporter means going to matches regardless of any circumstance and that it is even somehow admirable to actively enable those who take the p*ss out of you. Which is akin to some sort of retarded old military romanticism like charging at machine guns.

Nice analogy. :lol:

I don't really get it, it's a fact that we give credit to fans for going during bad times isn't it? Slightly strange to scoff at the suggestion so smugly. It happens all the time.

It'd be one thing if the team was shit, but trying. Happens all the time in sports.

I've never seen a professional sports club so opposed to success. If they don't even try, why the hell should I care?

Well the team are trying aren't they? On a weekly basis? It's just the hierarchy that has ambition that most people find too low.

Didn't really seem like it yesterday tbh. :lol:

Players aren't blameless, but they don't deserve as much stick as ownership/management. I'd be demoralized too if my team's best player was unceremoniously shipped out and ownership made zero attempt to replace him. Or zero attempt to encourage success.

Sorry but the better the devil you know implication is utter bullshit.  This is the hallmark of stagnant thinking.

Well as long as you admit you want change, even though you don't know what it would be. That's a fair enough conclusion, but so is doubt about it.

People staying with their "security" no matter how s*** it is rather than taking a chance is the same?  With that attitude, we'd still be roving bands of hominids.  Civilization would have been still-born.

You might be overdoing the comparison there a bit, but I see what you mean.

It's not like I actively want to have Ashley as our owner, I'm just aware of the number of mentalists and charlatans that are in charge of football clubs.

If we finish 8th this season it will be a finish we have only bettered 14 times since World War 2. Things are far from perfect but that is hardly the sort of season that will make fans give up their season tickets en masse.

And things could certainly be worse than this without Ashley - they usually are. Not that I'd be at all sorry to see him go.

If we finish 8th this season it will be a finish we have only bettered 14 times since World War 2. Things are far from perfect but that is hardly the sort of season that will make fans give up their season tickets en masse.

And things could certainly be worse than this without Ashley - they usually are. Not that I'd be at all sorry to see him go.

Christ, you don't seem to understand that some people can see past a league position and get pissed off about other things.  The club has no ambition and will be happy just to stay in the division without doing anything other than advertise the love of our shitty owners life.

No blmae can be pointed at the fans whatsoever.

The fans customers have absolutly zero say in anything.

Utter nonsense - customers ALWAYS have a say...look what happened when M&S tried to introduce GM foods some years ago ; people stopped going for a while and they dropped the policy like a hot potato.

If 20,000 stopped going to SJP for a while, just watch what would happen.

Your argument is a cop-out.

Stop attending for 4 or 5 games in a row. Stop buying merchandise.

i think this is it personally, a message needs sending regardless of the fact that people have paid for the ST's already

last 5 home games: everton, palace, manyoo, swansea, cardiff...not that any of them matter but they're games people could walk away from in the most part, especially the last 2

the season is beyond over, it's the absolute perfect opportunity for a coordinated effort to get people to not attend those home games and fill them with fear for the future

the alternative is continue on as we are

No blmae can be pointed at the fans whatsoever.

The fans customers have absolutly zero say in anything.

Utter nonsense - customers ALWAYS have a say...look what happened when M&S tried to introduce GM foods some years ago ; people stopped going for a while and they dropped the policy like a hot potato.

If 20,000 stopped going to SJP for a while, just watch what would happen.

Your argument is a cop-out.

Someone's pointed out though, match day income is a fraction compared to say, TV money. M&S don't have that.

I'm a season ticket holder and up for any protest that will at the very least make some sort of point to the hierarchy. I also don't think we will finish anywhere near 8th, from what I saw on Saturday confidence is at an all time low and Pardew has neither the skill or the desire anymore to improve it.