Adam Armstrong

Guest palnese

He's only young but I'm sorry lads, I just don't see it. No pace, no intelligent movement, no clinical finishing and a pretty pedestrian work rate.

Give him time, he'll be belter :thup:

I'm not totally writing the lad off, it'd be stupid to do so at his age but if you compare him to someone like Aarons then the gulf in quality is there for all to see at the moment.

It's a lot easier for a winger to break through than a striker. An average winger you pick up for peanuts, average striker costs you £10m.

Hardest thing in football is to judge the potential of players who don't immediately stand out from the crowd. I do worry though about his physical presence, he lacks pace, strength and height. If he had any of them (Aarons has great pace) then I think his impact would be clearer to see. He's going to have to rely on technique and intelligence, he certainly won't have much of the latter due to his level of experience. I'd have him out on loan next season to somewhere he'd play every game and improve probably his strength as pace and height are natural attributes he'll probably never have (not saying he's slow, he's average and that's probably about where he'll be as a mature adult)

Until pre-season, no-one saw the potential of Aarons.  He had had the odd decent games for the U21s but there was no great buzz about him only that there was some promise.  And really he has played so little that it is hard to judge whether what he has shown thus far would be sustained over a longer period once other teams get to know more about him.

We tend to throw players in to a sink or swim situation rather than seemingly have a plan to develop them.  Armstrong has promise but when the team is constantly struggling and whose attacking game is non-existent, it does not really help the kid especially when he is not the biggest and they keep hitting long balls to him.

Perez is an exception as he seems to be really gifted but he has been playing competitive football albeit at a lower level so he has already had plenty of experience.

But it comes back to the same old issue (which I hope they are trying to address now) and that is that they need a good coach who knows how to develop them.

• 2 months later...
Guest YonderStar

He's only young but I'm sorry lads, I just don't see it. No pace, no intelligent movement, no clinical finishing and a pretty pedestrian work rate.

Give him time, he'll be belter :thup:

I'm not totally writing the lad off, it'd be stupid to do so at his age but if you compare him to someone like Aarons then the gulf in quality is there for all to see at the moment.

It's a lot easier for a winger to break through than a striker. An average winger you pick up for peanuts, average striker costs you £10m.

Hardest thing in football is to judge the potential of players who don't immediately stand out from the crowd. I do worry though about his physical presence, he lacks pace, strength and height. If he had any of them (Aarons has great pace) then I think his impact would be clearer to see. He's going to have to rely on technique and intelligence, he certainly won't have much of the latter due to his level of experience. I'd have him out on loan next season to somewhere he'd play every game and improve probably his strength as pace and height are natural attributes he'll probably never have (not saying he's slow, he's average and that's probably about where he'll be as a mature adult)

Pretty much how I see it too, Armstrong will be another Chopra, ..average

I hope we persevere with this kid.  Really like what I've seen and it's easy to forget how young he is (only just turned 18 in February) given his exposure so far.  Plenty of time for him to develop his game if he puts in the effort.

His England U18 goals are up, hoasted by the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/football/video-1171357/Englands-Adam-Armstrong-hits-thunderbolt-volley-against-Swiss.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/football/video-1171358/Adam-Armstrong-scores-stunning-free-kick-England-U18s.html

Freekick isn't worth much, the deflection takes it in, but the volley is a proper top strikers goal from the run into the space through to the snap shot finish.

Would like to see him on loan next season.

Definitely, a stint in playing regularly would toughen him up and give him the match smarts he lacks as a young lad.

It'll never happen but it'd be great if we you could split where you sent him, half in the lower leagues and half somewhere like Netherlands.

• 3 months later...

Thank Christ. It's an absolute waste of a substitution bringing him on, he offers us absolutely nothing at his current level.

Agreed. Great move for him, better one for us at this moment in time :thup:

Guest Roger Kint

About to join Coventry on a season long loan.  Good move for him I reckon, needs to be playing each week.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-set-sign-newcastle-9736117

I guess no Championship clubs wanted him?

Not becessarily, would be pointless sending him to one if hes only going to be a sub every week. At least with Coventry he has a chance to play a fair bit more which is kinda the whole point of loaning him out

About to join Coventry on a season long loan.  Good move for him I reckon, needs to be playing each week.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-set-sign-newcastle-9736117

I guess no Championship clubs wanted him?

Not becessarily, would be pointless sending him to one if hes only going to be a sub every week. At least with Coventry he has a chance to play a fair bit more which is kinda the whole point of loaning him out

Indeed.  Although saying that, Campbell went quite low down the leagues and still barely got a game!  Hopefully Armstrong gets regular football and pushes on.