Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anita is a player that recycles things, knows his pass before he receives it and has a good footballing brain. He's a small but important part in a good midfield. Without other roles being filled it doesn't work. We could have had Sissoko, Cabaye, Anita for ages but never did.

I don't rate Colback at all and certainly wouldn't have him ahead of Anita. The fact he's a Cabaye replacement is nothing short of embarrassing and laughable.

:thup:

I don't rate Colback at all and certainly wouldn't have him ahead of Anita. The fact he's a Cabaye replacement is nothing short of embarrassing and laughable.

erm, what? who said colback is cabayes replacement?  :lol:

Given Cabaye started in central midfield more often than not and Colback will also start in central midfield it's not a stretch to say he's the Cabaye replacement.

Different sort of player sure but replacement all the same.

Given Cabaye started in central midfield more often than not and Colback will also start in central midfield it's not a stretch to say he's the Cabaye replacement.

I think it's quite the stretch to say that, so I disagree. De Jong is the closest we'll get to yohans replacement. He's captain material, he's smart and he scores goals. Colback is a decent squad player, who isn't known for creating chances and will basically just be used as a tidy central midfielder to keep things ticking over.

I thought colback did fine in the pre-season games I watched and will be a good backup player this season. I agree with most that anita should always start ahead of him but like any player, he should be played on merit and not just because he's a local lad, etc.

I think it's quite the stretch to say that, so I disagree. De Jong is the closest we'll get to yohans replacement. He's captain material, he's smart and he scores goals. Colback is a decent squad player, who isn't known for creating chances and will basically just be used as a tidy central midfielder to keep things ticking over.

I thought colback did fine in the pre-season games I watched and will be a good backup player this season. I agree with most that anita should always start ahead of him but like any player, he should be played on merit and not just because he's a local lad, etc.

Colback will be a starter in central midfield where Cabaye started the vast majority of his games for us.

I'm not sure where this stretch is to be honest.

Colback will be a starter in central midfield where Cabaye started the vast majority of his games for us.

The stretch I mentioned was that you think colback is cabaye's replacement. We all know what colback's position is, central midfield, that's obvious, but I reckon he won't be a starter for us. As I said earlier, if he does the business for us, then of course he should start but if he starts against man city, it's only due to tiote/de jong being unavailable.

The stretch I mentioned was that you think colback is cabaye's replacement. We all know what colback's position is, central midfield, that's obvious, but I reckon he won't be a starter for us. As I said earlier, if he does the business for us, then of course he should start but if he starts against man city, it's only due to tiote/de jong being unavailable.

Anyhoo

Anita will be dropped Pardew has never fancied him but has played him due to lack of alternatives.

Colback is such a Pardew player man.

I agree, I really enjoy watching Anita play and would always prefer him over colback. I just wish we could play anita over 10 games in a row and see how his game improves/changes. He tends to play for a couple of games, then gets left out for a few, then in for a few in a weird position, then out, etc. It must be very frustrating.

Would love to see vurnon play with de jong, mainly due to their ajax connection, as vurn could sit back as siem pushed forward. That could work very well, I just hope alan gives it a go....but I won't hold my breath.

I find Anita to be overrated on this site. Good player but there isn't that chasm in quality between him and Colback that people think.

Anita looks so much less effective in our side, because no one moves or makes themselves available for the pass like he does. He should be starting today alongside Colback, so just watch them both when our defenders have the ball, and are looking to pass forward.

His movement in this situations is so good, and once he gets it, he's lookign for the forward short pass quickly, while everyone is just sauntering around making it easy for the people marking them. Colback is particularly guilty of this from what I've seen so far.

Anita ideally should be in a midfield three, with people who move well, and look to play quicker shorter passes.

Guest firetotheworks

People who don't know that we signed de Jong.

De Jong who's been played exclusively as a supporting striker?

Anita is what happens when you buy players based on potential profit margins and age alone. He's been totally unsuited to the way we play since he arrived bar the odd game where he's played in a middle 3. He's a good player but he'll never fulfil what he could be under this management whereas Colback is probably at the peak of his powers, runs about a bit more and is a Pardew signing hence he'll probably get the nod more.

Agreed, Anita is certainly unsuited to our typical approach to games unfortunately. The thing is though, Colback so far hasn't seemed that suited either! He has hardly been able to get on the ball, or do anything of note going forward, so either way we're screwed. He definitely was able to far more with and on the ball last season for Sunderland. I think they both absolutely need someone else in there, in and around them to give them more support.

Colback is starting today for the same reasons as to why he started games in pre-season. Because we had atleast 1 first team central midfielder out, sometimes 2 when Tiote and De Jong were not match fit or injured. It's the same reason as to why Rivere will start today as has done in pre-season, because Cisse is injured. It's the same reason as to why Obertan got so much game time in pre-season, because Cabella was not match for and for a part of pre-season was on holiday.

Can't people atleast wait until we have a fully for squad to determine who the first 11 really is?

Colback is starting today for the same reasons as to why he started games in pre-season. Because we had atleast 1 first team central midfielder out, sometimes 2 when Tiote and De Jong were not match fit or injured. It's the same reason as to why Rivere will start today as has done in pre-season, because Cisse is injured. It's the same reason as to why Obertan got so much game time in pre-season, because Cabella was not match for and for a  part of pre-season was on holiday.

Can't people atleast wait until we have a fully for squad to determine who the first 11 really is?

Are we really classing De Jong as an orthodox central midfielder now?

Colback is starting today for the same reasons as to why he started games in pre-season. Because we had atleast 1 first team central midfielder out, sometimes 2 when Tiote and De Jong were not match fit or injured. It's the same reason as to why Rivere will start today as has done in pre-season, because Cisse is injured. It's the same reason as to why Obertan got so much game time in pre-season, because Cabella was not match for and for a  part of pre-season was on holiday.

He's a central midfielder, even though he will be playing more advanced than our other central midfielders and just of the striker. The point is that he was injured or not match fit for some games at the same time as Tiote, so bearing that in mind you are going to need at east 1 back up midfield in the team to replace him (although this midfielder isn't going to be advanced or play exactly how he plays), guess who our back up central midfielder s? He's the guy who replaced last year's Gosling who was back up, yes, it's Colback.

He's a central midfielder, even though he will be playing more advanced than our other central midfielders and just of the striker. The point is that he was injured or not match fit for some games at the same time as Tiote, so bearing that in mind you are going to need at east 1 back up midfield in the team to replace him (although this midfielder isn't going to be advanced or play exactly how he plays), guess who our back up central midfielder s? He's the guy who replaced last year's Gosling who was back up, yes, it's Colback.

Do you really believe that? :lol:

You really believe he came here from our biggest rivals to warm the bench?

Do we really have to have this debate again where I say it's not much of a big deal that he came from Sunderland since he's a boyhood Newcastle fan, then someone pulls out pictures of him over celebrating, then I or someone else says that he got carried away with peer pressure.

Are we really going to have this debate again?

Do we really have to have this debate again where I say it's not much of a big deal that he came from Sunderland since he's a boyhood Newcastle fan, then someone pulls out pictures of him over celebrating, then I or someone else says that he got carried away with peer pressure.

Are we really going to have this debate again?

No we don't because that's not the subject at hand.

The point is he will be starting out in central midfield imo and Anita will be warming the bench.