Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thing is, he's not getting abuse because he's signed for us from Sunderland. If we had a player join us on a free from them, after turning down a few contract offers, who genuinely looked a decent player we'd all be pissing ourselves. The problem is he seems distinctly average, at best, acted a right cunt in multiple derbies and will no doubt be one of Pardew's 'lads'; starting week-in-week out at the expense of better players and as a replacement for a player who offered infinitely more than he ever will. Incredibly simplistic to say he gets stick just because he played for them.

Except that fact does fuel a lot of the invective.

Aye, Shay Given, Paul Bracewell and Barry Venison all used to get the same. Don't talk bollocks.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your valuable insight into our local rivalry.

Opposition to him, from page 1 in this thread, has routinely been about him being a Mackem and his antics after scoring against us, as if what he did was some crime against humanity. You yourself have called him a "Geordie traitor" or something to that effect at least a couple times in this thread. It's small-time and petty. There wouldn't be nearly as much opposition to him as a Newcastle player had he not played for Sunderland. He'd just be a totally inoffensive, boring player we signed on a free.

Eh? Of course the opposition is about what he did after scoring, and generally being a complete cunt to our supporters every time his new manager has let them walk all over us. That's very different to just playing for them.

If you say so. I'm not at all convinced. And even if that is the case, it's still petty.

Being petty over these rivalries is what being a football fan is all about, no matter who you support. Arsenal fans wouldn't dream of putting up with an Arsenal fan who had previously mocked them wearing a Spurs shirt. Bayern Munich fans campaigned fervently against Manuel Neuer's purchase because he had played for Schalke and mocked Oliver Kahn, and some still maintain that he is not allowed to approach a certain area of the ground as part of their demands for putting up with him.

This is football in Europe and it's not changing any time soon.

This is a business, first and foremost. It's unrealistic to expect footballers to retain any sort of club loyalty. And I really don't think his actions warrant the foaming-at-the-mouth vitriol that's gone on since he signed.

And he's really not a bad player. He is an entirely average player who will play far more often than he should, by no fault of his own. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be immune from criticism, but it does mean he should be afforded the benefit of the doubt, being one of our players now. Done absolutely nothing wrong since signing for us.

Stifler's rant was OTT simply because that picture of him was funny as shit and he is a such a sickly-looking fucker.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/jack-colback-welcomed-newcastle-fans-derby-celebrations/

For those that still wouldn’t have Colback for reasons not related to how good a footballer he is or isn’t, just take your minds back to a certain Alan Shearer scoring against Newcastle at St James’ and Ewood Park for Blackburn. Now he certainly didn’t hold back – and neither did Graham Fenton for that matter.

:lol: Wearside Jack was just "celebrating a goal" was he? Even on the bus after the game?

This is a business, first and foremost. It's unrealistic to expect footballers to retain any sort of club loyalty. And I really don't think his actions warrant the foaming-at-the-mouth vitriol that's gone on since he signed.

Sorry, but no way am I having that.

Cunts like Mike Ashley might see football "first and foremost as a business," but supporters don't.  It's a love, it's a lifestyle.  It's a fucking game, where loyalty exists.

He grew up all his life supporting NUFC the same as the majority of us then went out of his way to shit on every single fan of this club whilst playing for them lot.

The prick dug his own grave and now he can lie in it.

Guest Haris Vuckic

c***s like Mike Ashley might see football "first and foremost as a business," but supporters don't.  It's a love, it's a lifestyle.  It's a f***ing game, where loyalty exists.

He grew up all his life supporting NUFC the same as the majority of us then went out of his way to s*** on every single fan of this club whilst playing for them lot.

:laugh:

Cunts like Mike Ashley might see football "first and foremost as a business," but supporters don't. It's a love, it's a lifestyle. It's a fucking game, where loyalty exists.

He grew up all his life supporting NUFC the same as the majority of us then went out of his way to shit on every single fan of this club whilst playing for them lot.

For fans, sure. For the majority of players? Nope. The football of your grandfather's generation doesn't exist anymore.

Do what you're gonna do. I don't feel like it's worth my time wasting energy on a player I'm not remotely offended by, particularly when there are far more serious issues surrounding this club with which to take offense.

Cunts like Mike Ashley might see football "first and foremost as a business," but supporters don't. It's a love, it's a lifestyle. It's a fucking game, where loyalty exists.

For fans, sure. For the majority of players? Nope. The football of your grandfather's generation doesn't exist anymore.

Do what you're gonna do. I don't feel like it's worth my time wasting energy on a player I'm not remotely offended by, particularly when there are far more serious issues surrounding this club with which to take offense.

What part of football "being a business" made him repeatedly act like a cunt though? Unless it was in his contract to do so I don't see the connection.

Don't give a shit about Colback either way, I shall berate him for the comedy panto element, nothing more, but your "this is a business, first and foremost", can fuck right off.

Sorry, but that's the state of things. Doesn't mean I like it or think it should be that way.

What part of football "being a business" made him repeatedly act like a cunt though? Unless it was in his contract to do so I don't see the connection.

Simply because PL football is primarily a business doesn't mean it's not also a game with clubs and supporters. They're not mutually exclusive.

Like I said, I don't care why he did what he did. I don't much care about him at all. I don't think he should start, but I hope he plays well (or I don't, because I want Pardew out, haven't determined my supporting strategy yet).

Thing is, he's not getting abuse because he's signed for us from Sunderland. If we had a player join us on a free from them, after turning down a few contract offers, who genuinely looked a decent player we'd all be pissing ourselves. The problem is he seems distinctly average, at best, acted a right cunt in multiple derbies and will no doubt be one of Pardew's 'lads'; starting week-in-week out at the expense of better players and as a replacement for a player who offered infinitely more than he ever will. Incredibly simplistic to say he gets stick just because he played for them.

Except that fact does fuel a lot of the invective.

Aye, Shay Given, Paul Bracewell and Barry Venison all used to get the same. Don't talk bollocks.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your valuable insight into our local rivalry.

Opposition to him, from page 1 in this thread, has routinely been about him being a Mackem and his antics after scoring against us, as if what he did was some crime against humanity. You yourself have called him a "Geordie traitor" or something to that effect at least a couple times in this thread. It's small-time and petty. There wouldn't be nearly as much opposition to him as a Newcastle player had he not played for Sunderland. He'd just be a totally inoffensive, boring player we signed on a free.

Eh? Of course the opposition is about what he did after scoring, and generally being a complete cunt to our supporters every time his new manager has let them walk all over us. That's very different to just playing for them.

If you say so. I'm not at all convinced. And even if that is the case, it's still petty.

Being petty over these rivalries is what being a football fan is all about, no matter who you support. Arsenal fans wouldn't dream of putting up with an Arsenal fan who had previously mocked them wearing a Spurs shirt. Bayern Munich fans campaigned fervently against Manuel Neuer's purchase because he had played for Schalke and mocked Oliver Kahn, and some still maintain that he is not allowed to approach a certain area of the ground as part of their demands for putting up with him.

This is football in Europe and it's not changing any time soon.

Fucking nailed it.

As someone who actually thinks Colback is a good player, I just hope all this abuse isn't typical of the local support. I don't want him to be booed every time he makes a mistake, leading to him losing confidence, or getting fed up and leaving.

I wish I could see what you constantly harp on about regarding Colback. To me, he looks absolutely bang average, 6/10, areet but nothing special at all. That's all well and good but when he's going to be keeping a terrific player like Anita on the bench because of our dinosaur manager, I fail to see your optimism regarding the deal.

Well okay, I'll try and pinpoint the main issue, for me.

For some time now, we have had a very dysfunctional midfield who struggle to create much on the deck. They have either lacked confidence or lacked ability in passing and receiving the ball. We often see passes designed to keep the ball rather than use it. It goes sideways or backwards, often behind the receiver because the passer isn't confident enough to play it into someone's stride. The result is that the opposition find it very easy to put pressure on us, the ball finds it way back to the keeper or the back four, who then have no choice but to hoof it long because the entire team is on the back foot, with no-one in space.

What Colback does, better and more consistently than any of our other midfield players, is he's able to lift his head up, if necessary switch direction, and pass the ball forwards into the receiver's stride. Nothing spectacular or particularly eye-catching, but the momentum of the team is then forwards rather than backwards, mobile and not static.

That is why Pardew is playing him, and Allardyce and Poyet wanted him.

He's a decent tackler too.

As someone who actually thinks Colback is a good player, I just hope all this abuse isn't typical of the local support. I don't want him to be booed every time he makes a mistake, leading to him losing confidence, or getting fed up and leaving.

I wish I could see what you constantly harp on about regarding Colback. To me, he looks absolutely bang average, 6/10, areet but nothing special at all. That's all well and good but when he's going to be keeping a terrific player like Anita on the bench because of our dinosaur manager, I fail to see your optimism regarding the deal.

Well okay, I'll try and pinpoint the main issue, for me.

For some time now, we have had a very dysfunctional midfield who struggle to create much on the deck. They have either lacked confidence or lacked ability in passing and receiving the ball. We often see passes designed to keep the ball rather than use it. It goes sideways or backwards, often behind the receiver because the passer isn't confident enough to play it into someone's stride. The result is that the opposition find it very easy to put pressure on us, the ball finds it way back to the keeper or the back four, who then have no choice but to hoof it long because the entire team is on the back foot, with no-one in space.

What Colback does, better and more consistently than any of our other midfield players, is he's able to lift his head up, if necessary switch direction, and pass the ball forwards into the receiver's stride. Nothing spectacular or particularly eye-catching, but the momentum of the team is then forwards rather than backwards, mobile and not static.

The bit in bold perfectly describes what Colback does. Anita is probably the only player we have who is capable of doing what you say we need in central midfield.

That first paragraph is spot on.

That second paragraph is shite. Colback is the exact type of player you're saying that we do not need.

"Our team, Team X, have for too long relied on high balls into the box and set pieces, with very little pace and movement up front and we need to change. It is for this reason that I would sign Andy Carroll."