Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is what happens when you leave the mackems.

This is true.

Bent was averaging about 1 in 2 for us and barely got a look in til he moved to Villa.

Based on form alone Cattermole is ahead of Colback at the minute.

Cattermole?  Surely if you are going to nominate a Sunderland player it would be Rodwell?

2 games I've seen us play this season, Cattermole has been better than Rodwell.

I'd rather players got picked on merit.

At the minute it just tells any English player we try and sign, go somewhere else,  you'll be nowhere near the squad if you sign for Sunderland.

Merit is 2 games?  Ok then.

Seems as though that's what Colbacks call up is based on...

If we go off the back end of last season. Rodwell wasn't playing but Cattermole was miles ahead of Colback.

Ahead of him for tackling maybe. As a footballer Colback's far superior.

I would disagree. I'd say Cattermole's footballing ability is underrated particularly as the disciplinary stuff cloud's people's judgements. He's always going to be viewed as a 'clogger'.

He's a much better footballer than he's given credit for.

He's liable to do something stupid at any moment though, especially in a big game. That's reason enough to not pick him.

"Ginger Pirlo" though :lol:

Didn't Lee Ryder make that one up?

Dear god, when the England manager starts quoting that cretin it's time to be done with the national team...

At the minute it just tells any English player we try and sign, go somewhere else,  you'll be nowhere near the squad if you sign for Sunderland.

Given how dire England have been, and how little hope there seems to be of that turning around any time soon, you might be able to turn that into a positive: "C'mon lad, we'll shelter you until England are no longer a shambolic shower of shite, and you can move on in [2? 5? 10? 25?] years with your international reputation unsullied."

Given how dire England have been, and how little hope there seems to be of that turning around any time soon, you might be able to turn that into a positive: "C'mon lad, we'll shelter you until England are no longer a shambolic shower of s****, and you can move on in [2? 5? 10? 25?] years with your international reputation unsullied."

Never thought of it that way mind.

I thought he was a decent player at Sunderland and he's surprised me of how much he has to his game but he's a million miles away from international standard. Or rather, he should be miles away from international standard and we should have far better players at our disposal.

I don't think I'm being pedantic in asking, what is international standard? Our current international standard is getting outplayed by any good team and struggling to beat any other team bar minnows.

That's a fair comment. I guess that I'd have hoped we'd have a better selection of international players to pick from but as you say our current international standard isn't exactly the selection headache Spain will when trying to pick a squad.

"International quality" is a term that gets thrown around a lot, but watching the World Cup, which of our players were of this fabled  international quality?

For years now, fans have been calling for the England manager to select inexperienced players for friendlies, so when the World Cup or Euros come around, we're not throwing players into the deep end and they have some rapport with the mainstays of the squad. Fair play to Hodgson for his selection.

Let's bear in mind, it's a squad announced for friendly competition.

Cattermole would be nowhere near my squad as his attitude is appalling and he continues to have moments of madness.

It's not just for the friendly though, it's for a qualifier.

I'd rather call up young prospects that have 0 chance of playing, than moderately young players who will never be good enough and will never get more than 5 caps.

It's not just for the friendly though, it's for a qualifier.

I'd rather call up young prospects that have 0 chance of playing, than moderately young players who will never be good enough and will never get more than 5 caps.

My bad, thought it was 2 friendlies.

Also, is it just me who thought Chambers has been shite so far for Arsenal? Or is it ultimately irrelevant how good he is - he plays for Arsenal!

That's pretty much it, isn't it.  Zaha looked a good prospect at Palace, playing week in, week out and he never got a sniff.  As soon as it looked like he was going to go and warm the bench at Man U he got called up.  Same with Colback, never would have got in the team at Sunderland, as soon as he moves on to bigger and better things he's in the squad.  Playing for a big club definitely helps your chances compared to players of a similar ability at small clubs.

Wonder if this will get me on RTG.

Guest Roger Kint

Quick question, how in the world did Roy avoid the sack after the WC?

FA have adopted Mike Ashleys distain for cups. Priority is the qualifying league

Also, is it just me who thought Chambers has been s**** so far for Arsenal? Or is it ultimately irrelevant how good he is - he plays for Arsenal!

That's pretty much it, isn't it.  Zaha looked a good prospect at Palace, playing week in, week out and he never got a sniff.  As soon as it looked like he was going to go and warm the bench at Man U he got called up.  Same with Colback, never would have got in the team at Sunderland, as soon as he moves on to bigger and better things he's in the squad.  Playing for a big club definitely helps your chances compared to players of a similar ability at small clubs.

:lol:

I think the FA are only sticking with Hodgson because the other options are so limited. He had a decent Euro 2012, he'll do for the 2016 tournament. That'll be their mindset.

To be fair, we could have Guardiola or Mourinho and still underwhelm.