Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If a nation is picking players from it's second division - something is rotten to the core about the league. Will Hughes should be in the Premiership. Playing in the CH is better than sitting on the bench but he should be starting in our top division. We are third rate end of.

I would argue Sir Bobby's England squad was the best in recent memory, picking the best available players in their position regardless of their team's division. The fact that one of the 'big teams' hadn't managed to sign the likes of Gary Pallister or Steve Bull didn't (and shouldn't) rule them out of contention for the national team.

If a nation is picking players from it's second division - something is rotten to the core about the league. Will Hughes should be in the Premiership. Playing in the CH is better than sitting on the bench but he should be starting in our top division. We are third rate end of.

I would argue Sir Bobby's England squad was the best in recent memory, picking the best available players in their position regardless of their team's division. The fact that one of the 'big teams' hadn't managed to sign the likes of Gary Pallister or Steve Bull didn't (and shouldn't) rule them out of contention for the national team.

Did Pallister or Bull have zero top division experience? Genuine question. It's not like Colback plays for a fashionable club.  The last player to be capped for England under us has moved on twice since that time.

Did Pallister or Bull have zero top division experience? Genuine question. It's not like Colback plays for a fashionable club.  The last player to be capped for England under us has moved on twice since that time.

Don't think Bull ever played in the top flight.

Genuine question - why did Bobby pick him? This is before my time. He wasn't good enough in the end was he?

Genuine question - why did Bobby pick him? This is before my time. He wasn't good enough in the end was he?

At the time Steve Bull was an absolute beast who seemed to score everytime he was on the pitch...SBR played to his strengths when needed and stuck a few direct balls over the top, which Bull stuck away. I seem to remember he would shrug off defenders from the likes of Tunisia or Albania, but yeah, ultimately he couldnt cut it against more 'intelligent' defenders, and his international career was cut short once 'do i not like that' came in.

It's rotten to the core regardless btw.  But Colback encourages the right behaviour. Playing pretty regularly in the PL. I think Rodwell has to pay some dues. Hughes has to play in the PL.

Would love for Cleverley to move to La Liga and make something of himself.  LOL @ him replacing Rakitic though.

How exactly does (the inclusion of) Colback encourage the right behaviour? :lol:

It's rotten to the core regardless btw.  But Colback encourages the right behaviour. Playing pretty regularly in the PL. I think Rodwell has to pay some dues. Hughes has to play in the PL.

Would love for Cleverley to move to La Liga and make something of himself.  LOL @ him replacing Rakitic though.

How exactly does (the inclusion of) Colback encourage the right behaviour? :lol:

he's played fairly regularly for two Pl clubs. That's the minimum a England international should be. The bench warmers or players in a lower division should force a move to Hull and prove themselves.

If anything this UEFA '8 home grown players' is hindering the national team. Rather than being able to just buy who they want, they pretty much have to buy flavour of the month English players (Sinclair, Rodwell, etc) on daft fees & contracts, or keep those not quite good enough but who might progress at another club (Richards, Cleverley, etc) just to fill their quotas.

he's played fairly regularly for two Pl clubs. That's the minimum a England international should be. The bench warmers or players in a lower division should force a move to Hull and prove themselves.

He's played for two mid to lower table Premiership clubs (two games in our case so don't understand why two is even relevant in your argument) and hasn't stood out significantly. He's just a decent player for this level. There's literally dozens of players like him in this league. I find it mind blowing that you could see it as an encouraging sign to see such a player picked. I understand the argument of young players moving to big clubs before they have fulfilled their potential and can challenge for first team places, but I fail to see why you believe that this leads to it being preferable to pick average Premiership players ahead of more talented players for the future, regardless of which league they currently play in.

If anything this UEFA '8 home grown players' is hindering the national team. Rather than being able to just buy who they want, they pretty much have to buy flavour of the month English players (Sinclair, Rodwell, etc) on daft fees & contracts, or keep those not quite good enough but who might progress at another club (Richards, Cleverley, etc) just to fill their quotas.

This is a good point actually. Not sure what can be done about it.

That's the problem though, they can't force moves to clubs like Hull. I think these championship clubs need to bring their fees down, as this is the main hinderance to these guys getting opportunities at the top level IMO.

So many more of them would get bought. I mean look at Hull's attempts to buy Rhodes. They had a £12 million bid rejected, and ended up getting the Uruguayan instead.

Maybe if they looked at lesser fees, with much bigger rises if these players performed at a high standard. I don't know really. It's incredibly tough.

So many more of them would get bought. I mean look at Hull's attempts to buy Rhodes. They had a £12 million bid rejected, and ended up getting the Uruguayan instead.

Which Uruguayan?

He's played for two mid to lower table Premiership clubs (two games in our case so don't understand why two is even relevant in your argument) and hasn't stood out significantly. He's just a decent player for this level. There's literally dozens of players like him in this league. I find it mind blowing that you could see it as an encouraging sign to see such a player picked. I understand the argument of young players moving to big clubs before they have fulfilled their potential and can challenge for first team places, but I fail to see why you believe that this leads to it being preferable to pick average Premiership players ahead of more talented players for the future, regardless of which league they currently play in.

dozens like him? Name me a dozen PL CM's under 25 that are English. Even just a dozen English PL CM's is harder than it should be.

Honesty, I can't speak on Will Hughes, I've only seen him a handful of times. But he should be in the PL.  If he's so far ahead of Colback it's even worse he's not in the division.

You know my logic Unbelievable - if a player is so good he should prove it.  I'm not on the Henderson bandwagon - he needs to show me he can do it in Europe. I think England are fucked in any case. Colback, a championship Hughes or a 2 game Jack Rodwel is piss poor. Even Rodwell who you've rated so highly hasn't played a full season yet of PL football.  He wasn't a regular at Everton if I remember. 

dozens like him? Name me a dozen PL CM's under 25 that are English. Even just a dozen English PL CM's is harder than it should be.

Honesty, I can't speak on Will Hughes, I've only seen him a handful of times. But he should be in the PL.  If he's so far ahead of Colback it's even worse he's not in the division.

You know my logic Unbelievable - if a player is so good he should prove it.  I'm not on the Henderson bandwagon - he needs to show me he can do it in Europe. I think England are f***ed in any case. Colback, a championship Hughes or a 2 game Jack Rodwel is p*ss poor. Even Rodwell who you've rated so highly hasn't played a full season yet of PL football.  He wasn't a regular at Everton if I remember. 

I said dozens like him in the Premiership (in terms of his level of quality), not dozens of PL midfielders of English nationality per se. Still, the likes of Jordon Mutch, Tom Huddlestone, James Ward-Prowse and Jonjo Shelvey are streets ahead of Colback in terms of ability and/or potential and are other examples of players who would have represented better picks imho even adhering to your criteria of having proven themselves at lower to mid table Premier League clubs.

This is a good point actually. Not sure what can be done about it.

It can't be good for a young player's confidence to move to a big club and then be out of the first team picture for a long time. Wright-Phillips was a very promising player but that move to Chelsea seemed to have a long-lasting effect on his development. I don't think Glen Johnson has completely recovered from his Chelsea experience either.

It'll be interesting to see how Rodwell gets on now.

I agree with you on those players - the last 3 at least. I just think England are bang average as is wor Jackie. So on that note it makes sense.

I'll never understand how Colback gets picked ahead of Huddlestone. Absolutely non-sensical.