Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

His continued existence is really annoying. I could see why McClaren plays him and Anita, considering our massive defensive deficiencies, but I'm at the point now where I just want to see a change. Get Wijnaldum back somewhere central and a winger on the left.

A lot of people would agree.

The coaching staff clearly don't see Wijnaldum or Sissoko as capable of playing centrally.

Yet this is where they played mostly before they joined us and for their respective countries. Presumably this is also where they took our eye and decided to move for them. I just don't understand why we feel the need to play our two best central midfielders on the wings. I'm fairly certain if we lined up like this in midfield we would look an awful lot stronger for it, both defensively and in attack:

Perez                          Thauvin

Wijnaldum    Sissoko

Tiote/new DM

I'm going to go against the tide a bit here and stick up for him.....sort of.

To Colback's credit he always shows for the ball. He does fuck all with it mind but he does help out his team mates by always being available for a pass.

He's busy in that midfield area, has plenty of touches and understands the need to pass and move, something that can't be said for a lot of players we have and have had in the past. After that though, there's not a lot going on.

If McLaren really was this wonder coach we're constantly told he is I reckon he could mould Colback into a useful player because the fundamentals are there to build on.  Sadly we're not seeing any improvement at all - he's the same player now as he was when we signed him 2 years ago?.

For me two competent wingers are the most vital thing to buy in January but as we all know that won't happen.

Two wingers that can get box to box and attack as well as defend. Provide more cover for our full backs and thus strengthening us defensively, whilst creating competition for CM places in midfield and more options.

Our squad is fucking terrible, we don't have one in fact. We have no options to change things up and the same old dross is served up week on week.

Colback starting every game says it all, we're like the fucking Mackems of about 4 years ago...

To Colback's credit he always shows for the ball. He does f*** all with it mind but he does help out his team mates by always being available for a pass.

He's busy in that midfield area, has plenty of touches and understands the need to pass and move, something that can't be said for a lot of players we have and have had in the past. After that though, there's not a lot going on.

If McLaren really was this wonder coach we're constantly told he is I reckon he could mould Colback into a useful player because the fundamentals are there to build on.  Sadly we're not seeing any improvement at all - he's the same player now as he was when we signed him 2 years ago?.

That just isn't true at all. He's so slow to react and sends hospital ball after hospital ball because he hasn't got a clue what to do (His attempted forward lob pass to Sissoko on the counter second half was comedy gold). He has zero intensity about him which makes his lack of athleticism in the middle stick out like a sore cock. A player of his body type should have guts and a footballing brain to make up for it (see Cabaye as an example), and this guy has absolutely nothing about him. He'll have the rare brain-fart when he actually does something good, but it's so inconsistent you have to think it's by accident.

To Colback's credit he always shows for the ball. He does fuck all with it mind but he does help out his team mates by always being available for a pass.

Watch him closely, he only shows when there are no opposition players nearby at which point he can receive a ball in a safe place. Stop it dead, shift to his left foot and roll it to Dummett. Whenever the ball is moving forward or other players are nearby the runs he makes are into areas where he can't be passed to, so it looks like he's looking for it but is actually hiding in clear daylight. See also Jenas, J.

To Colback's credit he always shows for the ball. He does f*** all with it mind but he does help out his team mates by always being available for a pass.

Watch him closely, he only shows when there are no opposition players nearby at which point he can receive a ball in a safe place. Stop it dead, shift to his left foot and roll it to Dummett. Whenever the ball is moving forward or other players are nearby the runs he makes are into areas where he can't be passed to, so it looks like he's looking for it but is actually hiding in clear daylight. See also Jenas, J.

Top post. Also, even when he's in space, sometimes it looks like his mind has wandered off somewhere else. On several occasions against WBA he was stood near the center circle, totally unmarked and on his own, and he struggled to control simple passes from Mbemba and Janmaat because he just wasn't on his toes. I only remember one or two occasions when he actually shocked me by passing the ball forward quickly into good space for Dummett to run on to, but that was about it.

He's fucking awful, and has no saving grace whatsoever. I might even have been able to stomach him if he was a positively aggressive loud-mouth radgie and did his running around with intensity, but he isn't even that.

Guest firetotheworks

Showing for the ball is honestly the last thing that I would describe him of doing like. Definitely if he's in shit loads of space before the half way line, but anything remotely difficult or risky and he's nowhere to be seen to receive it and will rarely play that sort of ball to someone making a run. It's to feet, almost always backwards, sideways or slightly forward, every single time.

perhaps it's been mentioned, but i didn't know he was one of the fastest 20 players in the league! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11525027/The-top-20-fastest-players-in-the-Premier-League-revealed.html?frame=3261278

#13  :frantic:

Just seen this, this absolutely cannot be true like.  Seen him live multiple times and he's miles off the pace and doesn't have the technique/nouse to compensate for it.

Showing for the ball is honestly the last thing that I would describe him of doing like. Definitely if he's in shit loads of space before the half way line, but anything remotely difficult or risky and he's nowhere to be seen to receive it and will rarely play that sort of ball to someone making a run. It's to feet, almost always backwards, sideways or slightly forward, every single time.

I've not seen a more conservative central midfielder turn out for us for a long time.  Every time he gets it, he slowly composes himself then safely plays us into a worse position than we were previously.  He's really, really bad.

Rub salt in the wound...don't outstading yellow cards revert back to zero going into the new year? (could be wrong but sure I read it somewhere the other day)

Nah, but you not be suspended at five yellow cards, just 10 and 15.