Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Do you think we'd have more points if he was in the team?

Definitely, he's the type of player we have needed in this slump - someone who can make something out of nothing.

I just fail to understand why he is loved on here when in reality compared to others, he has contributed very little and made an arse out of his own career.

There is no doubt he's a talented footballer.

Because the way he plays is highly likely why most of us fell in love with football and the kind of football we dreamed about

Unless of course you dreamt about Gouffran running 15 yards and then passing the ball 10 yards to Colback?

I can totally understand that and as I have said, I loved his moments of magic.

But the reality is, a lot of the time he did not show up.

Sterling has been hammered on here recently for not showing up certain games, similar player, similar attitude.

So Sterling wouldn't get in our side either?

What did you think of Laurent Robert?

Not once have I said I do not want HBA in our team.

All I have done is point out that he never fulfilled his potential and repeatedly gave nothing performances but is still carried on here as the saviour of all.

If people mention his name in a slightly negative manner on this forum they are shot down, it's ridiculous.

And Robert?

No, he would have thrown a wobbly just like he did at Lyon and Marseille and refused to play and put in a transfer request.

Hasn't he got about four French titles?

And left the country with an adoring fanbase from both clubs :lol: It's almost as if there's some kind of reason for it.

Some people just don't get it and they never will, it's quite sad really. Ben Arfa was never a world beater, but he was still the most talented footballer we had and when played correctly (ie on the right and starting every game) he lived up to expectations. The fact he was capable of the sublime means he'll always be revered by those who have a soul.

It's even harder to take when you've been banging on about this for about 3 year whilst he's been chronically mismanaged, shamelessly robbing us of many amazing memories, replaced by the odd Gouffran tap in, Ameobie's heavy breathing and Obertan tripping over his own feet.

He was "chronically mismanaged" at Lyon and Marseille too under better managers. At what stage does HBA take responsibility for himself?

Honestly don't start, you have absolutely no clue about his treatment here, you couldn't possibly.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D His treatment? Was he chained to a wall during training sessions? Then thrown in a dark room for 2 weeks when he didn't track back?

Aye, all of that. Also he was consistently placed on the bench/out the squad for 2-3 games at a time whilst we played the likes of Ryan Taylor in his place. It's been said hundreds of times before though, the salient fact is as someone on the outside you have absolutely no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Bolton fan talking about Ben Arfa?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02189/newcastle-bolton_2189219b.jpg

Completely changed the game on Boxing Day at the Reebok too, and scored the winner. But I'm supposed to believe a Bolton fan who says we've been better off with Gouffran.

Definitely, he's the type of player we have needed in this slump - someone who can make something out of nothing.

I just fail to understand why he is loved on here when in reality compared to others, he has contributed very little and made an arse out of his own career.

Because the way he plays is highly likely why most of us fell in love with football and the kind of football we dreamed about

Unless of course you dreamt about Gouffran running 15 yards and then passing the ball 10 yards to Colback?

Sterling has been hammered on here recently for not showing up certain games, similar player, similar attitude.

That isn't the reality though, it's something you're just saying to suit your agenda whilst ignoring the mitigating factors behind why his form may have been up and down.

Sterling is a good point, although I don't think he's capable of anything close to the ridiculous things Ben Arfa could pull off. We're football fans, we'll make stupid, hypocritical comments about other players from other teams, you could look hard enough and you'd find people slagging off Eden Hazard and Diego Costa for not turning up, actually scratch that, you could click on the Messi thread and see people saying the same things about Christiano Ronaldo :lol:

It is reality though, HBA has been passed from team to team for a reason - some of which the public will probably never know.

All I am saying is a player of his quality has the potential to be playing for a top team, but he isn't. There are clear reasons why on the field and apparently reasons off it too.

I'd rather have him in our team, but he isn't.

I'd rather watch him than Ameobi trying to mount the back of somebody, but I can't.

If we live in the past we just all become bitter and twisted.

The way I view HBA (which may be different to yours) is a quality player who for one reason or another never met his potential.

Our current players are getting hammered for "not giving their all", HBA frequently didn't give his all.

Some people just don't get it and they never will, it's quite sad really. Ben Arfa was never a world beater, but he was still the most talented footballer we had and when played correctly (ie on the right and starting every game) he lived up to expectations. The fact he was capable of the sublime means he'll always be revered by those who have a soul.

It's even harder to take when you've been banging on about this for about 3 year whilst he's been chronically mismanaged, shamelessly robbing us of many amazing memories, replaced by the odd Gouffran tap in, Ameobie's heavy breathing and Obertan tripping over his own feet.

He was "chronically mismanaged" at Lyon and Marseille too under better managers. At what stage does HBA take responsibility for himself?

Honestly don't start, you have absolutely no clue about his treatment here, you couldn't possibly.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D His treatment? Was he chained to a wall during training sessions? Then thrown in a dark room for 2 weeks when he didn't track back?

Aye, all of that. Also he was consistently placed on the bench/out the squad for 2-3 games at a time whilst we played the likes of Ryan Taylor in his place. It's been said hundreds of times before though, the salient fact is as someone on the outside you have absolutely no fucking clue what you're talking about.

He's just a rando Bolton fan who logs in every blue moon on the wind-up. He's probably just bored because their mickey mouse season is over and he knows [current shite bolton clogger] isn't fit to lace HBAs boots.

So Sterling wouldn't get in our side either?

What did you think of Laurent Robert?

Not once have I said I do not want HBA in our team.

All I have done is point out that he never fulfilled his potential and repeatedly gave nothing performances but is still carried on here as the saviour of all.

If people mention his name in a slightly negative manner on this forum they are shot down, it's ridiculous.

And Robert?

Very similar to my views on HBA.

Class player who hid quite a lot when he couldn't be arsed.

Loved watching him (as I did HBA) but others have gave more to NUFC than either of them.

There's seemingly an issue with his personality, or his work rate in training, or something else behind the scenes we're unaware of. I'm not really seeing how this translates to Shola Ameobi and Obertan starting games of football ahead of him though.

We'll always live in the past as there's fuck all in the present to cheer about, the same as 90% of other football fans really.

There's seemingly an issue with his personality, or his work rate in training, or something else behind the scenes we're unaware of. I'm not really seeing how this translates to Shola Ameobi and Obertan starting games of football ahead of him though.

We'll always live in the past as there's f*** all in the present to cheer about, the same as 90% of other football fans really.

My point is that is wasn't just Pardew and Bruce who saw this. It was all of his managers in France too.

The risk of it all going wrong was always high, even when you first signed him. Having someone like Pardew in charge made it even more likely.

Completely agree.

I'd rather have a half arsed HBA over most of our current players, but the point I was making is we don't have that option anymore.

That isn't the reality though, it's something you're just saying to suit your agenda whilst ignoring the mitigating factors behind why his form may have been up and down.

Sterling is a good point, although I don't think he's capable of anything close to the ridiculous things Ben Arfa could pull off. We're football fans, we'll make stupid, hypocritical comments about other players from other teams, you could look hard enough and you'd find people slagging off Eden Hazard and Diego Costa for not turning up, actually scratch that, you could click on the Messi thread and see people saying the same things about Christiano Ronaldo :lol:

It is reality though, HBA has been passed from team to team for a reason - some of which the public will probably never know.

All I am saying is a player of his quality has the potential to be playing for a top team, but he isn't. There are clear reasons why on the field and apparently reasons off it too.

I'd rather have him in our team, but he isn't.

I'd rather watch him than Ameobi trying to mount the back of somebody, but I can't.

If we live in the past we just all become bitter and twisted.

The way I view HBA (which may be different to yours) is a quality player who for one reason or another never met his potential.

Our current players are getting hammered for "not giving their all", HBA frequently didn't give his all.

That's bullshit

HBA always wanted the ball and always tried things, it didn't always work BUT it was certainly more successful and exciting than the utter dross that was played instead of him

It would be no different to if Perez started getting randomly dropped after great performances behind Riviere and played out of position, people would want him in the team. From there, others claim it's an "unhealthy obsession"

Not really. I just want him in the team because the alternatives are fucking rank. That goes for Yanga-Mbiwa and Santon too. It also goes for Sissoko, and Janmaat, and Krul. I think they should be in the current team = "obsession"

It would be no different to if Perez started getting randomly dropped after great performances behind Riviere and played out of position, people would want him in the team. From there, others claim it's an "unhealthy obsession"

Not really. I just want him in the team because the alternatives are f***ing rank. That goes for Yanga-Mbiwa and Santon too. It also goes for Sissoko, and Janmaat, and Krul. I think they should be in the current team = "obsession"

I see your point, but in 3 years will MWM have a thread on here still going because he's the saviour of our football club that we let go? No.

HBA gets so much afforded to him because he is the best flair player we've had in a long time.

It's a bit like pulling a tidy lass on a night out, your standards are raised and you're moody when you can't have another when you next go out.

That is HBA and the chat on this forum.

So the issue is that flair players get more attention than centre backs?

Reckon you're just going to have to deal with that one like.

That isn't the issue at all, MYM was just the first name to come to mind.

My issue was with HBA's work-rate and half arsed appearances but being classed as a hero on here whilst others with a similar work-rate are absolutely battered.

Being good at football doesn't make you immune to critics.

He's not a fucking hero for god's sake, he just represented entertainment while everything was dull as fuck and was far better than the alternatives.

Shock that football fans want to watch entertaining players instead of Ryan Taylor.

We'll always live in the past as there's f*** all in the present to cheer about, the same as 90% of other football fans really.

My point is that is wasn't just Pardew and Bruce who saw this. It was all of his managers in France too.

The risk of it all going wrong was always high, even when you first signed him. Having someone like Pardew in charge made it even more likely.

Fair enough, it goes further than just a bust up with Pardew like, he was managed horrendously from the start because of his fear of playing an offensive winger in a 4-3-3 (so much so that he tried to pretend he wasn't a winger at one point). He dropped his guard once and we were fantastic for 5-6 games on the trot, got battered off Wigan and it was back to regiment 4-4-2s and 'grafting' wingers. This went on for like 3 year.

My issue was with HBA's work-rate and half arsed appearances but being classed as a hero on here whilst others with a similar work-rate are absolutely battered.

Being good and football doesn't make you immune to critics.

The issue here is that I don't believe anyone has ever said he's perfect or that he should be immune to criticism. He is not a hero outright, but when you look at what we've got right now, comparatively speaking, he's more heroic than Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and the Incredible Hulk put together.

I seem to remember Ben Arfa creating chances in 90% of the games he played in. Off the top of my head, he probably only had four or five games when things didn't go for him.

He may have been half arsed in training(allegedly) but on the pitch where it mattered, he was always looking to make things happen.

As was previously mentioned, the majority of the blame for HBA's career not taking off to its potential lies with HBA himself.

He can be mismanaged in one or two systems, with one or two managers - but every single one he has worked under? Suspicious.

We will never know if he's a total cock, but there must be a reason why.

It is sad to see such a talent wasted.

I'll end with a line I have repeated - I would love HBA in our club at this point in time, but others have produced more than him and got less plaudits.

Being good at football doesn't make you immune to critics.

He's a direct winger who plays in bursts. His work rate was completely fine  :lol:

It's like complaining about Tim Krul because he's not running up the pitch and diving into challenges.

Being good and football doesn't make you immune to critics.

The issue here is that I don't believe anyone has ever said he's perfect or that he should be immune to criticism. He is not a hero outright, but when you look at what we've got right now, comparatively speaking, he's more heroic than Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and the Incredible Hulk put together.

Compared to what we have now, you are more heroic than Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and the Incredible Hulk put together.

But that is a different thread and conversation.

As was previously mentioned, the majority of the blame for HBA's career not taking off to its potential lies with HBA himself.

He can be mismanaged in one or two systems, with one or two managers - but every single one he has worked under? Suspicious.

We will never know if he's a total cock, but there must be a reason why.

It is sad to see such a talent wasted.

I'll end with a line I have repeated - I would love HBA in our club at this point in time, but others have produced more than him and got less plaudits.

My assumption has always been that he's probably a massive knob and exceptionally difficult to deal with. However, my faith in those managers having the remotest bit of people management skills is nil.

I would drive to Newcastle, via Nice, from Philadelphia right now if it meant that he could play against West Ham.