Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

It's funny how most of the negative opinion on Ben Arfa seems to have been formed over the course of his last few months here. Before that he wasn't a problem whatsoever for the manager(s) and was regarded as one of our best players. Pardew's desperate rhetoric about tracking back has really worked on some.

Gouffran has had 32 appearances this season. Scoring 2 goals, BOTH were deflections.

Are people really believing if Hatem was giving 32 games this season he wouldn't of contributed more?

The bloke is loved because he represents everything we want to see. Flair, skill and goals. Miss him to bits, the fat lazy bastard.

Gouffran has had 32 appearances this season. Scoring 2 goals, BOTH were deflections.

Are people really believing if Hatem was giving 32 games this season he wouldn't of contributed more?

The bloke is loved because he represents everything we want to see. Flair, skill and goals. Miss him to bits, the fat lazy bastard.

:lol: I mean, I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Fuck.

The bloke is loved because he represents everything we want to see. Flair, skill and goals. Miss him to bits, the fat lazy b******.

:lol: I mean, I knew it was bad, but not that bad. f***.

Aye, it's shocking man  :lol:

That goal against Soton, in off the defender, top corner, knew nowt about it. The other was against Hull at the KC, took a piss weak shot, straight down the middle and it clipped the defender lobbing the keeper.

I seem to remember Ben Arfa creating chances in 90% of the games he played in. Off the top of my head, he probably only had four or five games when things didn't go for him.

He may have been half arsed in training(allegedly) but on the pitch where it mattered, he was always looking to make things happen.

It's funny in a depressing sort of way.  Ben Arfa was half arsed in training but often brilliant when the game kicked off, yet perversely the current squad are apparently brilliant in training but quite clearly half arsed once the game kicks off.

I seem to remember Ben Arfa creating chances in 90% of the games he played in. Off the top of my head, he probably only had four or five games when things didn't go for him.

He may have been half arsed in training(allegedly) but on the pitch where it mattered, he was always looking to make things happen.

It's funny in a depressing sort of way.  Ben Arfa was half arsed in training but often brilliant when the game kicked off, yet perversely the current squad are apparently brilliant in training but quite clearly half arsed once the game kicks off.

Have you seen who they're up against in training?

Have you seen who they're up against in training?

I'd imagine 90% of us on here would look like early 90s Shearer against that defence!

Watching the Football Mavericks ITV series, so much of it rings true with what happened to Ben Arfa at this club.

Such a shame so many fans buy into the propaganda and revisionism. If you're not going to enjoy your football then what is the point.

I don't particularly want my attackers to track back.  I find it quite strange that anyone does.

If I have a player who can cause real damage to the opposition in their third then I would quite like him to be in their third most of the game.

Guest firetotheworks

Pleased I wasn't here when that numbskull was claiming that HBA wouldn't have made any difference.

'HBA wouldn't have made any difference, nor would Marveaux.'

'Here are loads of examples of HBA winning games for us single handedly, here's 5 of Marveaux doing the same. The alternatives are Ryan Taylor and Gabriel Obertan.'

'I don't think he'd have made any difference'

Fucking moron.

I cannot even believe I'm indulging in a conversation with someone who's trying to tell me what I can and cannot discuss like, what the f*** am I doing? :lol:

In a bit.

Very well constructed reply.

Have I once said that YOU cannot discuss HBA? No. I've made a point that I feel discussing him is pointless because he doesn't play for us.

What is wrong with that?

That's pointless in and of itself.

Anyone who dares critcise Ben Arfa has no fucking clue about football, like. He was a genius, Pardew didn't like that and we're in freefall without him. Sunday's relegation vindicates those of us with eyes who defend Ben Arfa.

But Ryan Taylor and Gutierrez run around so let's have them instead.

You can say Pardew and Bruce "ruined" him, those damn English dinosaurs, but in reality Gerets, Perrin, Houllier and Deschamps did the same thing in France.

Fact if, if 6 managers (I'm using the term lightly with Pards and Bruce) thought he wasn't worth their time, then maybe they are right.

Would you please shut up, Bolton Boy

Anyone who dares critcise Ben Arfa has no fucking clue about football, like.

Well this is a daft opinion too. Just because we'd be much better with him in the side doesn't mean he should have immunity from criticism. He deserves plenty of criticism for the way his career turned out.

The issue, Ron, is that criticism for HBA is the same criticism for a lot of flair players. Not tracking back, bad attitude in training, etc., none of this is new under the sun. A decent manager with half a brain works WITH these issues instead of using them, and players like him, to hide his own inadequacies by laying the blame entirely on their colourful doorstep.

The fact is most football lovers and connoisseurs of the game are willing to forgive and work with these drawbacks for that little bit of (cough) "magic" that has us repeating it on youtube and in our minds over and over again long, often years, after the game is done. Those are the very first moments that drew us to the sport in the first place.

Watching the Football Mavericks ITV series, so much of it rings true with what happened to Ben Arfa at this club.

Such a shame so many fans buy into the propaganda and revisionism. If you're not going to enjoy your football then what is the point.

Yeah, watched that too. Really enjoyed it.

Couldn't believe how under appreciated Hoddle was.

Seems there has never really been that much of an appreciation for flair players over here.

The issue, Ron, is that criticism for HBA is the same criticism for a lot of flair players. Not tracking back, bad attitude in training, etc., none of this is new under the sun. A decent manager with half a brain works WITH these issues instead of using them, and players like him, to hide his own inadequacies by laying the blame entirely on their colourful doorstep.

The fact is most football lovers and connoisseurs of the game are willing to forgive and work with these drawbacks for that little bit of (cough) "magic" that has us repeating it on youtube and in our minds over and over again long, often years, after the game is done. Those are the very first moments that drew us to the sport in the first place.

Bang on.

The media wonder why there aren't any decent British managers knocking about and this is one of the primary reasons. The major philosophy of managers/coaches in this country is that chasing a football and running yourself into the ground is the way forward, leaving no room for the players with the real attacking flair, talent and excitement that wins games. These players are often overlooked because they're too small or too lightweight to succeed regardless of how brilliant they are at football - this is why HBA failed under Pardew (apart from when he was given free-reign in the 4-3-3) and Bruce. Even someone like Pepe Mel could have got the best out of him for fucks sake.

Those kinds of players often have attitude issues, that's why it's not in their mentality to track back.

Robert/Bellamy let go by Souness after all the great moments we had with them under SBR as soon as Souness came in, all because he couldn't handle those types of players. Bellamy used to give SBR some shit as well but he stuck an arm around him, nurtured him, made him feel like a fucking beast and then unleashed him. That's what top managers do, not just talk shit about them and try to humiliate them in the public eye, like what Pardew done with HBA as soon as he got a bit of lip.

Those kinds of players often have attitude issues, that's why it's not in their mentality to track back.

Robert/Bellamy let go by Souness after all the great moments we had with them under SBR as soon as Souness came in, all because he couldn't handle those types of players. Bellamy used to give SBR some shit as well but he stuck an arm around him, nurtured him, made him feel like a fucking beast and then unleashed him. That's what top managers do, not just talk shit about them and try to humiliate them in the public eye, like what Pardew done with HBA as soon as he got a bit of lip.

Don't even remind me of the Souness years, man. Ugh. Fuck. And to think even he is better than our last two managers makes my stomach churn.

Anyone who dares critcise Ben Arfa has no f***ing clue about football, like. He was a genius, Pardew didn't like that and we're in freefall without him. Sunday's relegation vindicates those of us with eyes who defend Ben Arfa.

But Ryan Taylor and Gutierrez run around so let's have them instead.

Ben Arfa was a good player on his day but he wasn't a genius, players like Gascoigne & Beardsley I would use the term genius for, tbh Hatem wasn't fit to lace their boots IMO

Not sure what any of that's got to do with Ben Arfa, like. Bellamy absolutely worked his bollocks off. Robert was undroppable because he was so fucking good in terms of scoring goals, making them and driving the team forward on the counter.

Guest firetotheworks

Ben Arfa was the most undroppable player Pardew had at the start of last season. He hit the bar twice, assisted and won a penalty in a 5-1 win against Stoke and he was benched for the next match. That's the point, Pardew would have dropped Robert when he was undroppable, as Souness did at the first opportunity.