Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

The most annoying thing about the goal was that he'd been caught like that two or three times already. He has to learn.

That happens to him about 70% of the times he gets the ball.

Which is weird because when he first arrived, arguably his best quality was the ability to keep the ball stuck to his feet riding 2-3 challenges.

The most annoying thing about the goal was that he'd been caught like that two or three times already. He has to learn.

Which is weird because when he first arrived, arguably his best quality was the ability to keep the ball stuck to his feet riding 2-3 challenges.

It's such an easy thing to correct as well, just go back to basics for a week or two and pass the ball off as quickly as you can. Seems simple enough.

It's such an easy thing to correct as well, just go back to basics for a week or two and pass the ball off as quickly as you can. Seems simple enough.

I feel like his original problem back then was that he's put 100% concentration into keeping the ball and would completely ignore all the options to pass. Now he's spending more time looking for the pass and ends up getting his pocket picked easilly.

Just a bit of bloody ballance and he could be so much better.

Looks truly awful right now, devoid of any confidence and you just know when he receives the ball he's either going to be easily dispossessed or do absolutely nothing with it, best he can do is win a corner. He has no pace, strength or skill to go past / hold off players and his goal threat is pretty much non-existent these days.   

Aside from that decent curling shot he offered nothing on Monday night. Problem is we have no alternatives to play there, Diame is just as bad if not worse and that's pretty much it unless we start moving players into unfamiliar positions. I know De Jong was a sicknote but he couldn't have been much worse than Ayoze right now.

I know Rafa defended him (as you would expect) but he must be so frustrated with what he sees from him week in week out. The number one priority for January has to be an upgrade for his position.

Would like to see Merino given a shot in the number 10 role like he plays for Spain. Albeit we missed him (and Hayden) in the middle last night.

Really?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/25/mikel-merino-newcastle-borussia-dortmund-attack-team-bus-rafael-benitez

There have been sufficient defence-splitting passes from his role deep in midfield – quite a contrast to the No10 berth he occupies for Spain Under-21s – to ensure Merino can rarely traverse Tyneside anonymously.

Guest firetotheworks

He's a good player, but weak as piss and being the Rafa equiverlent of Pardewed in a similar way Goufran was.

Perez has been poor since 2015, like.

We've scored ten goals this season, and Perez has been involved in at least four of them: he helped Ritchie win the ball back before Joselu's opener against West Ham, and played a lovely flicked pass to assist Mitrovic for our third, then he was tenacious down the left in the build-up to Hayden's goal against Southampton before scoring the second. Three of our other goals have come from corners, and I think it was against Swansea that Perez made a basic but still fairly useful run off the front post before Lascelles' header.

He goes to ground far too easily and loses the ball too often, and his final ball is too often poor: he seems to be hitting most of his shots and crosses low and first time, and he's scuffing them and there's little subtlety. His control is inconsistent. But he's still the only player both tasked with and capable of receiving the ball in tight spaces, he's the only one who does look for quick flicks and one-twos, and when they come off he is willing to surge with the ball into space. Generally I think even in an attacking sense he's involved in most of our best stuff from open play, while he's surely doing everything Rafa asks of him closing down the lines defensively.

He's also playing in the most difficult role in our side. Our central midfielders sit very deep, and the wide players stick to their flanks and have plenty of defensive responsibilities, so it's not like he has options when he does receive the ball or receives much support in that crucial role really between the centre circle and the opposition penalty area. For me he's still a useful member of the squad, who is receiving a bit of excessive criticism as the fall guy for our attacking deficiencies and because in that position, we have no other viable option.

Really good post Gottlob :thup::  like the balance with the positive contributions he has made. Just too many visible, unforced, or consistent errors for me. Personally, not that it matters a jot, I've had enough of him as a regular first team starter. Had enough of hoping/willing and supporting him to have a more meaningful positive impact.

We've scored ten goals this season, and Perez has been involved in at least four of them: he helped Ritchie win the ball back before Joselu's opener against West Ham, and played a lovely flicked pass to assist Mitrovic for our third, then he was tenacious down the left in the build-up to Hayden's goal against Southampton before scoring the second. Three of our other goals have come from corners, and I think it was against Swansea that Perez made a basic but still fairly useful run off the front post before Lascelles' header.

He goes to ground far too easily and loses the ball too often, and his final ball is too often poor: he seems to be hitting most of his shots and crosses low and first time, and he's scuffing them and there's little subtlety. His control is inconsistent. But he's still the only player both tasked with and capable of receiving the ball in tight spaces, he's the only one who does look for quick flicks and one-twos, and when they come off he is willing to surge with the ball into space. Generally I think even in an attacking sense he's involved in most of our best stuff from open play, while he's surely doing everything Rafa asks of him closing down the lines defensively.

He's also playing in the most difficult role in our side. Our central midfielders sit very deep, and the wide players stick to their flanks and have plenty of defensive responsibilities, so it's not like he has options when he does receive the ball or receives much support in that crucial role really between the centre circle and the opposition penalty area. For me he's still a useful member of the squad, who is receiving a bit of excessive criticism as the fall guy for our attacking deficiencies and because in that position, we have no other viable option.

:thup:

:thup:

This, he is just so visibly frustrating that it's easy to vent at him

Guest Howaythetoon

Enough is enough, he's finished, a piss poor excuse of a footballer. He has regressed massively. We may as well be playing with 10 men when he is on the pitch.

Guest neesy111

Really has regressed the poor chap.

I don’t think he’s regressed, I just think his initial time with us was a purple patch and really he’s just a terrible footballer.

Basically this.