Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Guest firetotheworks

He offers good pressing on opposition defenders, which definitely shouldn't be enough on its own for a player to start, but saying as Diame and whoever else you want to mention can't do that, he's pretty much a shoo in.

His “pressing” is totally ineffective as he gets nowhere near his man and is afraid to put his foot in in case he hurts himself. Embarrassing!

I can't agree with that like. I'm a big critic of him and get so frustrated with him, but he's the best option we have in that position in terms of putting himself about and being in the right position to intercept, what he does once he has the ball is just too often the problem.

Perez and “putting himself about” is a contradiction in terms.

Just look at the effort he puts into closing down compared to Ritchie or Gayle.

I really don't follow. I see no difference at all, he's constantly helping out. We must be watching different players tbh.

Should have spent the Murphy money on a decent number 10 ffs.

Murphy's a massive worry at this point.

He looked good in some of the England U-21 matches though. I'll admit I've never really rated Perez, he had a little honeymoon period where no-one knew what he was about when he first joined, but surely we can do worse than throw Murphy in and see how he does.

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought Perez might have kicked on this season as he has the technical ability, but its not going to happen and that's mainly down to how he is being used by Rafa which benefits the team, but not so much the player himself. We badly need an upgrade in that area, as well as CF. We are just making do at the moment which is down to lack of funding in the transfer market sadly.

A massive worry? Really?

Like, really?

Aye, cos we spunked a huge chunk of our summer spending budget on him and he can't get a game and isn't getting on the pitch off the bench either.

He offers good pressing on opposition defenders, which definitely shouldn't be enough on its own for a player to start, but saying as Diame and whoever else you want to mention can't do that, he's pretty much a shoo in.

His “pressing” is totally ineffective as he gets nowhere near his man and is afraid to put his foot in in case he hurts himself. Embarrassing!

I can't agree with that like. I'm a big critic of him and get so frustrated with him, but he's the best option we have in that position in terms of putting himself about and being in the right position to intercept, what he does once he has the ball is just too often the problem.

Perez and “putting himself about” is a contradiction in terms.

Just look at the effort he puts into closing down compared to Ritchie or Gayle.

I really don't follow. I see no difference at all, he's constantly helping out. We must be watching different players tbh.

Yeah that's a weird point like. Perez has changed his game massively, he's pretty much unrecognisable from the player that was booed in the relegation season from not chasing a ball down that was running out of play.

A massive worry? Really?

Like, really?

Aye, cos we spunked a huge chunk of our summer spending budget on him and he can't get a game and isn't getting on the pitch off the bench either.

He's a kid, don't be surprised if he eventually comes good.

Actually think that if Perez spent most of his match in and around the opposition box and not expending so much energy playing as a defensive #10, he'd be be in the goals more. But in any regard, I've no issue with him; 9th right now with this squad.

He might be the best player at running, closing down etc. but you cant afford to have a #10 that contributes nothing to your attacking play.

In the 7 games he’s played this season, he hasn’t looked like scoring and has barely had a chance or even been in the right position to have a chance.

As someone rightly said, the only time he ever looks dangerous is when he intercepts the ball from an opponent in the final third, even then he doesn’t really do anything with it.

But, we don’t really have anyone else, so he’ll stay in the team.

Looked best as a wide forward although he was far from perfect there. Hit a progressive brick wall about a year and a half ago now. Shame as he really burst on the scene looking a prospect. He still potentially is but I don't know how we use him best.

I think he is doing basically what is asked of him, I just wish he had a bit more strength and make some actually dangerous runs as well as just running interference

Really? He can't even control a ball at times, or make simple passes.

You must be watching a different player from the rest of us. He's brought the ball down beautifully many times this season alone, often balls he shouldn't even be able to bring down (hoofs from Clark). His balls out to Ritchie have resulted in actual goals, balls he's played while finding pockets of space, being pressured, falling, etc.

He's not been having the best season so far, and to be honest I don't think the role Rafa has him playing suits his game at all. But he's unfortunately the best we have in that area unless Murphy suddenly steps up. Currently we'll have to make do. I'd probably drop him on current form, kid looks like he needs a break.

I think he is doing basically what is asked of him, I just wish he had a bit more strength and make some actually dangerous runs as well as just running interference

Really? He can't even control a ball at times, or make simple passes.

You must be watching a different player from the rest of us. He's brought the ball down beautifully many times this season alone, often balls he shouldn't even be able to bring down (hoofs from Clark). His balls out to Ritchie have resulted in actual goals, balls he's played while finding pockets of space, being pressured, falling, etc.

He's not been having the best season so far, and to be honest I don't think the role Rafa has him playing suits his game at all. But he's unfortunately the best we have in that area unless Murphy suddenly steps up. Currently we'll have to make do. I'd probably drop him on current form, kid looks like he needs a break.

At times being the key word, he doesn't do anywhere near enough to be a reliable from that position. I'd argue the amount of times he has a heavy touch and loses possession far outweighs the times he actually brings it down and gets others involved.

On top of that, i'd ignore what i just said if he was impacting the game offensively in a positive manner but he sadly isn't. I like him and think he's trying really hard, but it's not really coming off for him right now.

I agree. He's also often so deep, like FFS, we need him around or in the box, but he's often in that weird grey area between CM and #10.

Whatever his job is, and I don't for one second know what that is, he's obviously following Rafa's instructions, as he's started every game. we know Rafa doesn't suffer fools or those that don't stick to his system.

Whatever his job is, and I don't for one second know what that is, he's obviously following Rafa's instructions, as he's started every game. we know Rafa doesn't suffer fools or those that don't stick to his system.

He does work his bollocks off. Rafa's Colback ;)

I still think Perez is doing well on the whole, even though he has virtually zero cutting edge. From a defensive point of view, he's clearly responding to Rafa because he's the one player who typifies whether or not we are pressing. If you want to analyse Newcastle United's tactics at any given moment, you just have to look at Perez. That's a testament to the lad but I do wish he'd provide more in an attacking sense. It's not like he even gets himself into dangerous positions. But the manager clearly likes him and hopefully we'll see him continue to improve.

Worth reminding ourselves that the team that finished the game yesterday was indentical to the vast majority of line-ups who struggled against teams like Bristol and Ipswich and Sheff Wed last season. The improvement of the team as a unit is terrific.

Just think of him as a midfielder with defensive responsibilities pressing the opposition from an advanced position instead of in a defensive midfield role. We win back the ball higher up the pitch and lessen the stress on midfield and defence rather than have the ball come deeper and in more dangerous positions. That, and considering the limitations of the squad at DM and ST.