The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

I don't want to keep harping on about Ancelotti but the bloke's absolute class from head to toe. Every inch the younger more astute version of Keegan. The man's won the European Cup 5 times and he has the humility to take responsibility and publically say sorry when his team progresses with a poor performance. Contrast this with Alan Pardew who spent his physical prime mincing about in the lower leagues and up ladders scrubbing windows. Didn't even have the decency to apologise for us getting dicked by the likes of Brighton.

We get it mate, you love Ancelotti.

Which managers do you reckon are better in terms of 1) style and 2) results?

It's pretty obvious that the answer is going to be no one :lol:

I'd have Klopp ahead of him in terms of style and the way he conducts himself in interviews, but it's nigh on impossible to beat Ancelotti when it comes to results. Ferguson, Guardiola and Mourinho are the only ones I can think of, but they all have their flaws that makes them on a level below Ancelotti for me (Ferguson: only really did it at one club, Guardiola hasn't got the experience yet, though it certainly looks like he's the real deal, Mourinho doesn't seem to care for building for the future at all which I think a great manager needs to do).

I don't want to keep harping on about Ancelotti but the bloke's absolute class from head to toe. Every inch the younger more astute version of Keegan. The man's won the European Cup 5 times and he has the humility to take responsibility and publically say sorry when his team progresses with a poor performance. Contrast this with Alan Pardew who spent his physical prime mincing about in the lower leagues and up ladders scrubbing windows. Didn't even have the decency to apologise for us getting dicked by the likes of Brighton.

Ancelotti is a gentleman no doubt about it, and one of the better managers (despite me believing he has some limitations) to grace the game. Comparing him to Pardew  is criminal ;)

We get it mate, you love Ancelotti.

Which managers do you reckon are better in terms of 1) style and 2) results?

It's pretty obvious that the answer is going to be no one :lol:

I'd have Klopp ahead of him in terms of style and the way he conducts himself in interviews, but it's nigh on impossible to beat Ancelotti when it comes to results. Ferguson, Guardiola and Mourinho are the only ones I can think of, but they all have their flaws that makes them on a level below Ancelotti for me (Ferguson: only really did it at one club, Guardiola hasn't got the experience yet, though it certainly looks like he's the real deal, Mourinho doesn't seem to care for building for the future at all which I think a great manager needs to do).

How is it impossible to beat Ancelotti in terms of results? Guardiola has more league titles than Ancelotti who has managed I don't know for how many years while only being one CL title behind. He changed the game for a while at Barcelona and is trying the same at Bayern with his new total football approach. Guardiola is the most innovative and successful manager of recent times, not saying he's the best of all time but he sure is heck of a manager that you could definitely compare to Ancelotti in terms of results already. (Guardiola actually has the same amount of titles in terms of numbers than Ancelotti and he has managed for 7 years in top flight basically)

Just don't think that Guardiola has been in the game long enough to be considered as great as Ancelotti. Didn't know he had more league titles tbh, but even so, they have "only" been at Barcelona and Bayern Munich, the latter being pretty much a walk over and the former with arguably the best team ever (which he deserves massive amounts of credit for). Like I said, Guardiola looks like he'll become one of the all time greats, but he's not there yet IMO.

Just don't think that Guardiola has been in the game long enough to be considered as great as Ancelotti. Didn't know he had more league titles tbh, but even so, they have "only" been at Barcelona and Bayern Munich, the latter being pretty much a walk over and the former with arguably the best team ever (which he deserves massive amounts of credit for). Like I said, Guardiola looks like he'll become one of the all time greats, but he's not there yet IMO.

Fair enough I guess. What I like about him is the fact that he came to Bayern and could've easily just rode the success of Heynckes and play the same football which was obviously killing it. He still decided to change and dare I say they're better now than they've been before.

I don't want to keep harping on about Ancelotti but the bloke's absolute class from head to toe. Every inch the younger more astute version of Keegan.

Think Sir Bobby is a better comparison. Great managers who are/were successful pretty much wherever they went.

I'm very surprised you'd put Ancelotti over Ferguson like, that justification is quite flaky. Ferguson lasted 25 years at one of the biggest clubs in the world because he was the best.

You only have to look at what has happened to Man Utd since to see how good a manager he was.  GOAT for me.

Ancelotti is a true great like, think what's happening to Madrid at the moment is more the way the culture of that rotten club is setup. Long-term success and continuity isn't ingrained into the way they are setup.

They're desperately short of options in the squad at the moment and that's telling as a lot of the team look burnt out, or Ancelotti isn't in the position to leave out some of his out of form players as he doesn't have people ready to come in for them.

Fair enough I guess. What I like about him is the fact that he came to Bayern and could've easily just rode the success of Heynckes and play the same football which was obviously killing it. He still decided to change and dare I say they're better now than they've been before.

Another way to look at it is that he changed a winning formula and for that reason got destroyed in the champions league last season

Another way to look at it is that he changed a winning formula and for that reason got destroyed in the champions league last season

Destroyed in the semi's sure, but that was a lot down to the game panning out the way Real wanted it. Pure counters. Result wasn't fair in comparison to the performances over two legs. Real loves an early goal from a set piece so they can just counter all day. Real Madrid is a top two team on paper in Europe without a doubt, the depth they have shows that.

Ancelotti is second to none in KO formats, less so in a league format (as his 3 league titles in 20+ years shows)

It completely depends how you evaluate managers, if you want CL success then he's the one you want but if you want league titles there's quite a few who are more likely to bring you success.

Ancelotti is second to none in KO formats, less so in a league format (as his 3 league titles in 20+ years shows)

It completely depends how you evaluate managers, if you want CL success then he's the one you want but if you want league titles there's quite a few who are more likely to bring you success.

Agreed.

Madrid are looney like. Stick with Carlo for the net couple years and they'll get to another final imo. Sack him - where do they turn? Zidane? I know their biggest rivals have had huge success with former midfielders becoming managers but it sounds ridiculous.

Fair enough if that's your opinion, but why is he second to none in KO formats though? I mean, he has the most CL wins (equal to Paisley) and all. But I mean, he's managed very good sides since 99 while someone like Guardiola who has won two already and might win another one has in far less amount. Mourinho started later as well. Heynckes and Hitzfeld have good competition records and Del Bosque probably has the best CV when it comes to KO format.

It's pretty much a given that Real Madrid's next manager will be Zinedine Zidane; Florentino Pérez loves him and he's been groomed for the role. They won't sack Ancelotti now, though.

First year with Castilla no? Perez should give Ancelotti another season regardless of results to give Zidane more time to prepare.