Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

It's a wonder how you have formulated such a strong opinion on the lad. You actually watch the Dutch league?

Who said it was a strong opinion? it was an opinion, i never said that it was fact or that i'm genuinely convinced i'm right. The answer to your question is i saw Ajax about half a dozen times in CL/EL while he was there and some against English opposition.

Same for Anita, which is why i was quite excited when we signed him as he impressed me when i saw him. Mainly because i thought at the time it meant a change in style of play :yao: obviously dead wrong on that one.

When i give an opinion of an player, i don't always watch dozens of games and usually it's the opposite but i don't believe for the most part you need to watch much to understand what a player can and can't do tbh.

No on the contrary, I'm fairly certain TCD will post his opinions based on what he's read or not read or heard from his sources "I've not watched the game but..." which is quite some way to form an opinion about something.

I've seen Siem play about 10-12 times in various Dutch league and European league fixtures and I've always been excited about him, as long as we can keep him fit and he get's back into the groove of things. Right before he got hurt last season he started 1 match and nearly everything he did was first or second touch and it was attacking in intent and he'd be moving about constantly before and after the pass - he's also a big game player who shows up and is counted when it matters - true leader.

Fair enough. When watching random games unless someone in particular is stunning/woeful, I tend to remember the general style of the overall team rather than individuals and their abilities. Unless someone has a reputation and I pay special attention to them.

For example, I watched a fair bit of Benfica during the season they beat us in the EL. Wouldn't be able to describe the games of Matic based on those games alone. Don't recall Martial from the games I saw of Monaco last season for example.

Fair enough. When watching random games unless someone in particular is stunning/woeful, I tend to remember the general style of the overall team rather than individuals and their abilities. Unless someone has a reputation and I pay special attention to them.

For example, I watched a fair bit of Benfica during the season they beat us in the EL. Wouldn't be able to describe the games of Matic based on those games alone. Don't recall Martial from the games I saw of Monaco last season for example.

Aye it depends, sometimes i won't remember someone at all. Although just using that example Matic was really the only Benfica player that impressed me against us the rest were pretty underwhelming IMO.

But yeah if i'm purposely looking to see a player it doesn't take a lot usually for me to see enough to be able to say what he's good at or not. In no way do i usually watch a player for 30 odd games before i feel i can do that, would be a huge waste of time.

When I saw Siem play Man City I saw him control his team and score important goals. Fairly oblivious.

Regarding Benfica I actually thought Cardozo was a big strong striker that could do a job too although knew he was older than we like to sign.

I thought benfica were really unimpressive and we would have had them if not for Santon.

Totally not still mad though

I am :lol: don't think i'm ever letting that go.

Was ours for the taking, that fixture. FFS.

Very immobile. Good first touch and tries to play nice flicks, but can't really see how he can make it in Premier league. Intelligent but slow.

This is how I feel, he will probably do well at home against poorer teams but he looks like a passenger every time I see him play.

He'd literally need to be scoring every game to make his inclusion worthwhile when we're already carrying so much useless shit in the team as it is. Were the other 9 outfield players functioning well then yeah maybe but atm we can't afford him in the team away from home or against better sides imo.