Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

Definitely needs to play, the question is what to do with the rest. For me i'd play Perez upfront just because of how awful Cisse was and Sissoko and Thauvin on the wings.

Although Sissoko needs to buck his ideas up as well because when Mitrovic comes back i wouldn't be against benching him either. Most important thing at this point is that De Jong, Perez and Wijnaldum are starting don't really care for the rest until they prove otherwise atm.

Very immobile. Good first touch and tries to play nice flicks, but can't really see how he can make it in Premier league. Intelligent but slow.

Disagree, I think we need some intelligence, I thought we looked a lot better when he came on. Used well he could be an asset.

Yea he seems a class player. A bit like the one on my avatar. He just goes a bit missing and doesn't seem to look for space that much. Many times Wijnaldum had to pass it to wing because SDJ wasn't trying to become available. He can be good and is real no 10. Just a lot of work needed to make it work.

Definitely needs to play, the question is what to do with the rest. For me i'd play Perez upfront just because of how awful Cisse was and Sissoko and Thauvin on the wings.

tbh:

Gini          Anita

De Jong

Thauvin                    Perez

Fit/Givesashit Striker

tbh:

Gini          Anita

De Jong

Fit/Givesashit Striker

I agree but for Watford we won't have a fit/giveashit striker :lol:

tbh:

Gini          Anita

De Jong

Fit/Givesashit Striker

I agree but for Watford we won't have a fit/giveashit striker :lol:

Perez, with Aarons in that position.

Plenty of slow players have been brilliant in the PL. Siem has to start every game for us. Far better than the alternatives.

:thup: It's imperative that he plays the number 10 position if we MUST persist with this ridiculous formation. Should we somehow change it to a 442 (or ish), he should be one of the two forwards. De Jong and Mitrovic with Thauvin and Perez wide might just be our best chance of threatening the goal at the moment.

I think the younger generation today tend to be a bit blinded with "pace is everything". Yes it's a good attribute, but there's a lot to be said for just being in the right place at the right time and always making the correct choices combined with a bit of skill and outright audacity - Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Sheringham are the pinacle of the these types of player.

Even when Ronaldo was 43 stone (not ours.. well.. maybe?) he outplayed any defence he was faced with. He had the speed and change of direction of a dilapidated  hedgehog.

I think the younger generation today tend to be a bit blinded with "pace is everything". Yes it's a good attribute, but there's a lot to be said for just being in the right place at the right time and always making the correct choices combined with a bit of skill and outright audacity - Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Sheringham are the pinacle of the these types of player.

Even when Ronaldo was 43 stone (not ours.. well.. maybe?) he outplayed any defence he was faced with. He had the speed and change of direction of a dilapidated  hedgehog.

You can carry a slow, immobile player if the rest of the team is a cohesive unit and has enough pace to cover the areas he can't.

We are not even close to being able to do this, except maybe at home against the likes of Watford where we'll have the ball.

De Jong looks classy and clearly knows where the goal and how to exploit space but up against a team with pace we can't afford him in there when the likes of Colback/Anita/Sissoko/Thauvin/Wijnaldum/Cisse are offering so little.

I don't mean he needs to be fast. And players like Pirlo (the real, not Ginger Pirlo) are not lighting quick. SDJ is an intelligent playmaker, but with Cisse up top it's totally useless to keep him as a no 10. Cisse can't time his runs and would just be offside everytime SDJ tries a through ball. I like the fact that he can score and can shoot. Something our other midfielders can't. His vision is great tho, played some lovely passes to Haidara.

Thought he looked a little sharper and surprisingly agile, last night. Has a big role to play on the weekend. Watford are going to play as West Ham did, let us have the ball and hit us on the break, we'll need someone to move around and make smart choices in the final 3rd. He also has some form of physicality about him so should hopefully link up with the likes of Perez and Wijnaldum well.

Mcclaren keeps harping on about him and Gini playing together then never f***ing plays them together

I think he's waiting for Wijnaldum to have looked like he's getting to grips to the way the games played here and De Jong to able to run around for 60 minutes while making a positive impact on the team. I'm sure it will come.

Just waiting for the first commentator to describe a particularly exhaustive run by Siem is 'lung-busting'.

Be amazed if that happens from what I've seen of him so far

I'm a very patient man, it'll be worth the wait :lol:

No comment on De Jong's performance? He seemed a little deeper than I expected, but defensively he tracked his man well and passed the ball around crisply.

With the lack of alternatives might be worth a look as a pure central midfielder.