Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

He looked handy at Villa in his first or second game for us, was always involved and making things happen.

I like him and hope he does well but suspect he'll end up being regarded as a flop, a la Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Agree 100%. When he first joined he looked far quicker. He looks far slower and that ain't saying much I know.

Ayoze' pace and guile is what sets him apart versus De Jong.

what if ayoze gains in power as sdj diminishes through injury? fucked up but probably true. i assume everyone is cool with this.

Are you suggesting some sort of vampiric ability transfer is going on here?  :kasper:

Semi-crock. Lacks pace and fitness and generally a bit of a plodder. Has vision and close control but these are things as nothing if you don't have an engine and athleticism in the PL. I'd get rid of him.

Semi-crock. Lacks pace and fitness and generally a bit of a plodder. Has vision and close control but these are things as nothing if you don't have an engine and athleticism in the PL. I'd get rid of him.

This. You get away with it in the Netherlands. Clearly has talent but like a lot of our signings lack key attributes.

Until he gets real game time and fitness its impossible to judge whether he has what it takes for this league IMO.  No doubt he isn't quick or particularly mobile, that's something we all knew before he arrived.  But its also quite possible that's being exasperated by his lack of match fitness.

I don't think he's totally unsuited to our system, he could play where Perez plays. Unfortunately for him Perez is playing extremely well.

Perez has more to his game. What we could really do with is a proper AM which is what I thought De Jong was. Seems like most regard him as a poacher good at making late runs similar to Nolan without appetite for tackling.

I don't think he's totally unsuited to our system, he could play where Perez plays. Unfortunately for him Perez is playing extremely well.

Perez has more to his game. What we could really do with is a proper AM which is what I thought De Jong was. Seems like most regard him as a poacher good at making late runs similar to Nolan without appetite for tackling.

Our Proper AM is Wijnaldum. Who should be central with a destroyer if we are going to go with this system - someone with the legs to be able to cover the width of the pitch relatively well and be able to contribute in attack. A position we shouldn't be buying cheap, one that probably needs the amount we paid for Thauvin, a 23-26 year old DCM/CM with strength, pace, and technical ability. We also then need to fix our left side to make this all work and that's signing a legit LW and LB.

Our Proper AM is Wijnaldum. Who should be central with a destroyer if we are going to go with this system - someone with the legs to be able to cover the width of the pitch relatively well and be able to contribute in attack. A position we shouldn't be buying cheap, one that probably needs the amount we paid for Thauvin, a 23-26 year old DCM/CM with strength, pace, and technical ability. We also then need to fix our left side to make this all work and that's signing a legit LW and LB.

Sounds about right, although I would say for a CM/DM role, it's so important that it's not necessary to stick to an age ceiling of 26 yr old. Gareth Barry must be getting on, but he's still better than anything we've got in that part of the pitch. There's so much money in the game at the moment that it's daft to look at sell on potential in every single position, especially CM and CB.

Sounds about right, although I would say for a CM/DM role, it's so important that it's not necessary to stick to an age ceiling of 26 yr old. Gareth Barry must be getting on, but he's still better than anything we've got in that part of the pitch. There's so much money in the game at the moment that it's daft to look at sell on potential in every single position, especially CM and CB.

Aye you're right, the age bracket was my ideal scenario - but yes, any good and reliable DM from 19-32 would do for us. But obviously our powers at be have an issue with signing anyone older than 27-28.

Going off what I've seen from him since signing for us, I honestly think although he was a cracking player he's finished as a footballer (especially in the Premier League). Nowhere near fit enough or strong enough to be a useful player to us and he's so immobile in a fast-paced league.