Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

A lot of this talk about De Jong with his pace and urgency is very similar to what I was reading from Arsenal fans about Ozil last season. Wenger wasting his money on a player not suited to the PL and not adapting to it. Now he's the top assister in Europe and Arsenal fans now loving him.

I'm not saying De Jong is in Ozil's class but style of play is similar and needs pace/runners around him to be most effective along with linking up the teams play. He slotted Sissoko/Janmaat in a couple of times when they ran beyond him and that's what he needs but more of it. Perez should be in the team with him but if it's one or the other, Perez it should be as he's currently more suited to our style of play.

Things just aren't going for De Jong at the minute. He was unlucky not to be on scoresheet last week after Cisse's cock up and he should have been on it again today but for a horrendous miss. At least he's popping up in the right areas and it's not by chance because he's very good at finding the space around the pitch. He'll not adapt to the league and gain confidence by sitting on the bench. McClaren needs to find a formation to get his best players on the pitch. At the moment, he's far off doing so.

I'd be interested to see how he worked with Perez. I think they could link up well, but we wouldn't have much of a focal point up top for Dummet to aim at.

A lot of this talk about De Jong with his pace and urgency is very similar to what I was reading from Arsenal fans about Ozil last season. Wenger wasting his money on a player not suited to the PL and not adapting to it. Now he's the top assister in Europe and Arsenal fans now loving him.

I'm not saying De Jong is in Ozil's class but style of play is similar and needs pace/runners around him to be most effective along with linking up the teams play. He slotted Sissoko/Janmaat in a couple of times when they ran beyond him and that's what he needs but more of it. Perez should be in the team with him but if it's one or the other, Perez it should be as he's currently more suited to our style of play.

Things just aren't going for De Jong at the minute. He was unlucky not to be on scoresheet last week after Cisse's cock up and he should have been on it again today but for a horrendous miss. At least he's popping up in the right areas and it's not by chance because he's very good at finding the space around the pitch. He'll not adapt to the league and gain confidence by sitting on the bench. McClaren needs to find a formation to get his best players on the pitch. At the moment, he's far off doing so.

Not sure how much you've seen of De Jong but his style is nothing like Ozil's.

Compare him to Nolan or something, not fucking Ozil  [emoji38]

No idea why I'm being fair to Brett, but tbf to Brett he heavily caveated his post and said he wasn't comparing them as players.

He does say they have a similar style of play which I wouldn't say is the case

The Ozil comparison is weird. Nothing alike. Ozil needs runners to thread passes too. De Jong needs runners because he can't run.

The Nolan comparison is fair and not unkind. Nolan scored a dozen goals for us in the PL in his final season. You would hope De Jong is an upgrade in overall ability in a similar style although a proper 10 rather than a CM.

Finds space really impressively but like Dave I fear he might be too slow particularly for a team who play predominately on back foot as we do.

Nailed it.

Well, I'd hate to see him in a team playing front-foot football then, as the man can't run for shit.

Finds space really impressively but like Dave I fear he might be too slow particularly for a team who play predominately on back foot as we do.

Nailed it.

Well, I'd hate to see him in a team playing front-foot football then, as the man can't run for s***.

Ajax. And not only domestically, in the Champions League.

You dont like dejong. We get it.

:lol:

I'm not sure why his inclusion bothers me so much. As others have said, the fact that he's keeping Perez out is giving me blinding, lung-aching nightmares of the HBA situation where any and every excuse was wheeled out to keep him on the bench. While the likes of Gouffran, Jonas, Raylor, Gosling etc. all started ahead of him. And anytime we won, it was doubly justified keeping them in the team.

I'm not sure why his inclusion bothers me so much. As others have said, the fact that he's keeping Perez out is giving me blinding, lung-aching nightmares of the HBA situation where any and every excuse was wheeled out to keep him on the bench. While the likes of Gouffran, Jonas, Raylor, Gosling etc. all started ahead of him. And anytime we won, it was doubly justified keeping them in the team.

I'm not sure the two situations are comparable, at least not at the moment. Dejong clearly has quality but at the.moment it's about getting him fit and building his confidence. Then, we'll have a much better idea if he's going to make it or not. Plus perez will come back in at some point, I was never confident that would happen with hba/pardew.

Quite apt.  A good play on words when describing de Jong.  Bit harsh, mind.  Not his fault he has dodgy lungs!

I really hope he doesn't end up going the way of Jon Dahl Tomasson. Probably my biggest NUFC regret, could have been excellent for us but was hung out to dry stuck up front on his own once Shearer got injured.

Seriously?

Decades of heartbreak and piss we've endured and you're telling me that the failure of John Dahl fucking Tomasson is the one thing that really stings. :lol:

It'd be good to see De Jong and Ayoze playing together, as the two players most likely to make something happen.

McClaren obviously sees them as competing for the same place, and presumably is worried that our defensive capability would be weakened. But Ayoze can play in a deeper position and can put in some hard work. It's worth a try.