Our Summer Transfer Business

Minhosa

We're still far weaker than we were when we started last season's farce. :lol:

We are one good ST away from getting in the top 7/8 in my opinion.

:lol: :lol:

You saying we can't over take Stoke and Southampton?

Stoke finished 9th.

7th and 8th were Man U and Southampton. And no, we can't.

We're still far weaker than we were when we started last season's farce. :lol:

We are one good ST away from getting in the top 7/8 in my opinion.

:lol: :lol:

You saying we can't over take Stoke and Southampton?

Stoke finished 9th.

7th and 8th were Man U and Southampton. And no, we can't.

Southampton have sold their squad, Stoke are nothing special.

We want shot with shit if after some good signings we can't over take the two above us from last season. Going to be a big step to overtake any of the top 7.

At the moment the transfer business is mainly replacing players who have gone (Cabaye, Remy, Shola, Gosling and Debuchy (when he goes)). It will be interesting to see what happens if Marveaux, Obertan, Gutierrez and/or Ben Arfa are moved on (not to mention Mehdi Abeid, Shane Ferguson, Haris Vučkić or any of the other fringe players who may leave). Will any of them be replaced?

It's not about league placing for me, 8th-15th is the same old midtable shit. The majority of the league is fucking appalling. The fact we finished in top 10 last season is proof of that. The trick is judging yourself on how much you close in on European points & decent teams.

It's not about league placing for me, 8th-15th is the same old midtable s***. The majority of the league is f***ing appalling. The fact we finished in top 10 last season is proof of that. The trick is judging yourself on how much you close in on European points & decent teams.

Just compete, attempt to compete for an entire season and cups. That's all I ask for. Go out there with a plan, execute the plan, and if you leave it all on the pitch, I have no problem with it. With the quality of players we have we need to be AT LEAST 8th place. But with the King in charge, we are any bet from 8th - 15th and it's soley based on the individual brilliance of (this season): Cabella & De Jong + 1 defender playing like a mountain + Krul heroics.

It's not about league placing for me, 8th-15th is the same old midtable s***. The majority of the league is f***ing appalling. The fact we finished in top 10 last season is proof of that. The trick is judging yourself on how much you close in on European points & decent teams.

All i want is to be entertained, show some ambition and when we get some good players we set out to keep them oh and cup runs too.

Where we finish is an complete and utter irrelevance to me.

Signing players is great fun isn’t it? So much so that you may even elevate it to something it isn’t, maybe even praise those that have so often failed you in the past for simply doing what needs to be done.

Opinions of Cabella are all positive and his signing looks to be the perfect choice to fill the ever widening hole left by love him or hate him Ben Arfa, and the young Dutch right back is rated highly by my Feyenoord mates from Cabras Feliz, so you know, there’s that. The Colback kerfuffle of whether we tried to offload him to West Ham is irrelevant now, as is his hand gesture during the Derby. I’d prefer that from a player than refusing to celebrate. Remember that chap from Norwich who refused to celebrate against Villa because he nearly signed for them once, now there’s a man going places, born winner that one. As for Ayoze, we’ll see. Check out this on inbedwithmaradona about the lad, and if that doesn’t add intrigue to him it might help those keen to pretend they watch the Spanish second division.

So the story so far all seems quite promising what with the expected addition of another striker or two….but get those horses held.

The manager. He of back-patting-himself-off fame. He who has managed to lose over 50% of his matches as Newcastle manager in four years. He who has managed to lose a higher percentage of games than everyone else in English football other than Stevenage and Fulham in that time. It begs that age-old question of How shit does one have to be before someone thinks, you know, he might be a bit shit.

We’ve been here before with signings. The summer before we finished fifth we signed Cabaye for a fantastically low sum which was a great deal.  Mourinho’s hyperbolically adored Santon for not much more. We nicked Marveaux from under the noses of Liverpool which was sneakily impressive. Demba Ba for nowt, and a January signing to top all January signings when Cisse made the number 9 his own. And Gabriel Obertan.

No prizes for guessing what point I’m making with that list.

Since then we’ve also seen a highly rated, young, league winning captain centre back come from France and play less than half his games in his rightful position. He now looks destined to leave, a reputation in tatters, and some forgetting that the older Coloccini was much worse in his first season. Hell, he might have been worse last season.

So when I see myself and others being labelled negative during these hedonistic days, I find it difficult to not immediately judge the upbringing of those more chipper than I. Creative signings and goalscorers excite people more than any other position so it’s only natural for optimism to build for those still with a glimmer of hope. But for me it’s not negativity, I just can’t look past the failings, excuses, and active pursuit of mediocrity that we’ve endured over these last few years.

We needed to buy players, we had to buy to stay where we are because that squad from last year would have been relegated were it not for one two month period. The problem is that signing anybody has become so alien to us that it has diluted the rationale that we simply had to do it. The fact that they appear to be good deals and good players is not a surprise here, we’ve done that before. So praise for a managing director that was a big part of the team that didn’t sign anyone for 18 months seems utterly bonkers to me. They are doing what needs to be done to fix the mess they created and the fact they seem quite good at it is even more irritating when put up against that barren spell.

I’m struggling to get excited for the new season and they’ve done that, it’s not some negative badge of honour I sadistically write on these pages. It’s that I can’t enjoy what should be an exciting time because the old dogs are still there, still wanting to not win trophies, still not wanting the burden of Europe.

Believe it or not I write a lot more miserably than I feel; I think it’s called a high horse or a soapbox or something, and it’s often fuelled by other opinions, beer, or the local press, particularly those feeling justified that we’ve signed some players after they said we would. Falling into the trap of thinking that being right once holds enough weight to balance the prolonged period of wrong. But scales don’t work like that, for a journalist or a manager.

So forgive me while I merely look on with intrigue at the comings and goings at our club, neither furious nor thrilled, but through sceptical geps, hindsight trumps hope.

http://onbarrackroad.com/

According to Pardew "we can threaten the best" now so anything short of top 4 will be a huge disappointment.  What a prick.

What's funny about that is none of the attacking players we've signed are particularly big or physical so he can't rely on the long ball or set pieces (:lol:) to get any joy. Riviere is powerful in  Remy fashion, but without a Carroll type forward I think Pards will look just as clueless as last season.

Great article that and very much sums up my own thoughts. If we'd been making these signings a couple of years ago, then I'd have been over the moon.

Now.........just feels all very meh tbqh.

Definitely reckon the squad is good enough to finish ahead of Southampton.  The manager is the major weakness.

I will be interested to see how Spurs get on this year.  I can see them having a fairly poor season.

Definitely reckon the squad is good enough to finish ahead of Southampton.  The manager is the major weakness.

I will be interested to see how Spurs get on this year.  I can see them having a fairly poor season.

Why?

They've the same squad as last year with their foreigners having had the year of adaptation and a better manager now?

Why?

They've the same squad as last year with their foreigners having had the year of adaptation and a better manager now?

I just think that the teams around them have all improved a fair bit.  Man United will be much better this season, as will Arsenal.

Anyway - was more of a general musing really.  I am not convinced their squad is that well balanced and it will be interesting to see how well Pochettino gets on at a bigger club, given that everyone seems to overlook the fact that his managerial record pre-Soton isn't exactly stellar.

No major movement on the transfer front too and that's a good thing considering the big squad they have with last season's signings focusing on further bedding in.