Chucky Ferreyra

ponsaelius

Newcastle United still have business to complete in this summer’s transfer window - despite the arrival of Facundo Ferreyra on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk.

The Magpies are still actively on the look out for a defender, another forward and potentially a younger goalkeeper after signing Ferreyra.

United thrashed out a deal for the 23-year-old before setting off for Germany. A fee of £1.6million was agreed but it could result in a permanent move costing Newcastle £6.4million.

Nicknamed ‘Chucky’ he is refusing to play for Shakhtar because of the political unrest in Ukraine.

The player scored six goals in just eight appearances last season and Ferreyra has recently apologised for not playing for Shakhtar during this time.

He said: “First and foremost, I want to apologise to them (the fans) and the president of our club.

“I hope what is happening in Donetsk will soon end. And we, the players, will do everything possible to give our fans more reasons for joy.

“My family was very worried about me and persuaded not to go to Ukraine. They thought it was very dangerous.

“So I decided not to go back. But on the second day I regretted it. My fears were dispelled by a conversation with the club CEO Sergei Palkin. He calmed me down and assured that all of us would be safe.

“Plus other players have returned and all of them were fine. I really regret that I have not come immediately. I apologise to the fans, my team-mates and coach.”

Newcastle United still have business to complete in this summer’s transfer window - despite the arrival of Facundo Ferreyra on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk.

The Magpies are still actively on the look out for a defender, another forward and potentially a younger goalkeeper after signing Ferreyra.

United thrashed out a deal for the 23-year-old before setting off for Germany. A fee of £1.6million was agreed but it could result in a permanent move costing Newcastle £6.4million.

Nicknamed ‘Chucky’ he is refusing to play for Shakhtar because of the political unrest in Ukraine.

The player scored six goals in just eight appearances last season and Ferreyra has recently apologised for not playing for Shakhtar during this time.

He said: “First and foremost, I want to apologise to them (the fans) and the president of our club.

“I hope what is happening in Donetsk will soon end. And we, the players, will do everything possible to give our fans more reasons for joy.

“My family was very worried about me and persuaded not to go to Ukraine. They thought it was very dangerous.

“So I decided not to go back. But on the second day I regretted it. My fears were dispelled by a conversation with the club CEO Sergei Palkin. He calmed me down and assured that all of us would be safe.

“Plus other players have returned and all of them were fine. I really regret that I have not come immediately. I apologise to the fans, my team-mates and coach.”

the defender will only come in if mbiwa leaves.

Guest reefatoon

doesn't look especially slow on the YT clips like, not fast but certainly no shola

I fucking love those words.

This sort of loan deal with a future fee agreed is all-upside really. He's an unproven player so it's good to be able to test him out for a year before making the full outlay.

It's quite different from the Remy deal, where we were going for a proven player who was only interested in a short-term deal.

So while the usual caveats about how everything is terrible and we're bad forever apply, it's still a good deal in isolation.

It was only last week they said we wanted one more striker and a midfielder. They have no clue whatsoever.

We still need another creative midfielder imo. Don't see moussa, Anita, colback or Tiote creating much for us in dejongs absence, and we can't rely on siem to be fit and in form all season.

De Jong's not a creative force either. He's more of a rich man's Kevin Nolan: plays short simple passes and scores goals.

I assume Cabella will be fulfilling the ball-dominant playmaker duties for the most part.

I like this signing, no real risk and the option to make it permanent.

Another striker would be ideal but not expecting one now, so it'd be a bonus if it happens.

Centerback and get rid of elliot (won't happen) and I'd be ultra chuffed :)

De Jong's not a creative force either. He's more of a rich man's Kevin Nolan: plays short simple passes and scores goals.

I assume Cabella will be fulfilling the ball-dominant playmaker duties for the most part.

Aye which is why I hold the fools hope of Grenier still signing. Desperately need someone else if Cabella gets injured we are back in last years boat, post Cabaye.

Anita and (don't laugh or cry) to a point colback both have reasonably good technique, are neat and tidy in possession and vision but neither have that killer pass or genius in them to set up opportunities. Moussa also lacks the finess, while he brings different elements to the side. No need to mention Tiote.

From early preseason it does look like we are intending to use much more wing play this year but we need a potent threat from the middle too.

de Jong played some nice through balls in NZ, i think hes just a very intelligent player and chooses the best option the majority of the time he has the ball.

de Jong played some nice through balls in NZ, i think hes just a very intelligent player and chooses the best option the majority of the time he has the ball.

I hate to resort to cliches, but he looks like a textbook "neat and tidy" passer. He's not going to wow you with Cabaye-style through balls but he'll make the right decision more often than not.