Carlos Puyol

Eric Abidal

Sergio Busquets/Javier Mascherano

Xavi Hernandez

Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi

Samuel Eto'o

Thierry Henry

The impact that team had in 08/09 (was it?) on me was unreal. I'd never seen football on that level before, even though the peak of it was probably the 5-0 vs Real Madrid with an altered front line.

Got to be the best performance I've seen from any time attacking wise against opposition of that standard.

It comes to something when your midfielders are doing double backheeled one-twos against Real Madrid. I had that saved on the Sky box for almost a full year. The quality was the highest I've ever seen. That through ball by Messi to David Villa as well. :sweetjesus:

Saying that, the 6-2 at the Bernabeu was unreal as well.

"I think, hold on, I didn't sign Peter Beardsley to tell him to track back. I didn't sign Ruel Fox to ask him to play any different from the way he did at Norwich. Or Robert Lee. I bought him because he's a talent. I'm not going to ask them to change. You go out and you take people on and you challenge them to play football and if you're better than them and you have a bit of luck, you get your reward."  - KK

Such a wonderful quote.

Honestly it seems like a case of having your cake and eating it :lol: Can't people just be happy that he's gone, without now trying to start a personal crusade to persuade people, NUFC fans or not, how bad he is? Time will show how great Alan "5th in the league" Pardew is with Palace.

I for one refuse to read any articles or look at a Palace forum about him, because I just know it's going to be tripe and rile me up.

Guest Roger Kint

Honestly it seems like a case of having your cake and eating it :lol: Can't people just be happy that he's gone, without now trying to start a personal crusade to persuade people, NUFC fans or not, how bad he is? Time will show how great Alan "5th in the league" Pardew is with Palace.

I for one refuse to read any articles or look at a Palace forum about him, because I just know it's going to be tripe and rile me up.

Thats a NUFC fans opinion though

FWIW, the greatest line up I've ever seen is

Victor Valdes

Dani Alves

Gerard Pique

Carlos Puyol

Eric Abidal

Sergio Busquets/Javier Mascherano

Xavi Hernandez

Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi

Samuel Eto'o

Thierry Henry

The impact that team had in 08/09 (was it?) on me was unreal. I'd never seen football on that level before, even though the peak of it was probably the 5-0 vs Real Madrid with an altered front line.

Got to be the best performance I've seen from any time attacking wise against opposition of that standard.

It comes to something when your midfielders are doing double backheeled one-twos against Real Madrid. I had that saved on the Sky box for almost a full year. The quality was the highest I've ever seen. That through ball by Messi to David Villa as well. :sweetjesus:

Saying that, the 6-2 at the Bernabeu was unreal as well.

I think the 2-6 was probably better. Watched the extended highlights the other week for some reason (Henry IIRC). Could have easily been twice as many.

"I think, hold on, I didn't sign Peter Beardsley to tell him to track back. I didn't sign Ruel Fox to ask him to play any different from the way he did at Norwich. Or Robert Lee. I bought him because he's a talent. I'm not going to ask them to change. You go out and you take people on and you challenge them to play football and if you're better than them and you have a bit of luck, you get your reward."  - KK

Such a wonderful quote.

Reading Kevin Keegan "Reluctant Messiah" currently, and there have been some gems in there. Will finish it this evening.

Also ordered Kevin Keegan "An Intimate Portrait of Football's Last Romantic" and Sir Bobby Robson's Autobiography.

Guest Roger Kint

For anyone who has een too calm/happy this week theres always one arsewipe about to raise your anger

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/objective-measure-alan-pardew-good-manager/

Not enough :anguish: in the world for this

Quote it so not to drive traffic to that pathetic mess of a place.

By any objective measure Alan Pardew is a good manager

Over his career, his win percentage is 42% from over 715 games.  That’s no accident.  You don’t get that record from being a bad manager.

It is a similar record to David Moyes (44%), who was good enough to be offered the Man Utd job.  It’s far better than Tony Pulis (36%), Steve Bruce (36%), Mark Hughes (39%) and Harry Redknapp (40%).  Redknapp, who was talked about for the England job; and who recently managed Spurs, a club with the kind of ambition many Newcastle supporters would like us to have.  A career win percentage higher than 40% indicates a good manager, and Alan Pardew should be categorised as such.

(Ed: Win record under Pardew – Reading 48% West Ham 41% Charlton 31%, Southampton 53% and Newcastle 38% – Reading and Southampton were in lower leagues, also case at West Ham as well for part of time)

So why the hell did we hound him out of the club?  The problem was never Pardew – the problem was (and continues to be) the owner.  We just got rid of the wrong guy.  For those of you responsible, I hope you’re all ashamed of yourselves.  You should be.

(To feature like Mick, send in your articles for our website to [email protected])

Before you ask, yes – I witnessed the 0-6 drubbing to Liverpool, I’ve seen us drop out of countless cups with barely a whimper, I’ve seen the dreadful run of results against Sunderland.

But I’ve also seen us beat Chelsea at home 3 times in a row; beat Man Utd at Old Trafford.  I witnessed one of the best midfield partnerships in recent times (Cabaye; Tiote) and one of the most effective attacking teams the premier league has seen in the last 5 years when Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa tore teams apart.  That formation 4-3-3 with that team and those players – that was Pardew.  You think someone else did that?

I’ve also seen the team play many many times, and they played for Pardew.  He hadn’t lost the dressing room, they played for him.  They worked for him.  That doesn’t happen if the manager is bad.

What really gets me angry is the brigade who say that everything that went wrong was Pardew’s fault, yet everything that went right was nothing to do with him.  It doesn’t make sense.  Either he’s responsible for everything (good and bad), or he’s responsible for nothing.  Make up your mind.

History, and objective opinion, will show Pardew’s time at Newcastle as a success.  He led us to top 5 and top 10 finishes, and left us in the top 10 again when he departed for Palace.  And he did all of that against a background where we sold our playmaker (Cabaye), where we sold our star striker (Carroll), where we sold our star striker again (Ba) and where Newcastle failed to keep our star striker yet again (Remy).

Yes, for a season we flirted with relegation – a season of terrible injuries, catastrophic loss of form for Cisse, bad luck and French international defenders who looked like they’d never seen a football before (Yanga-Mbiwa, Debuchy).  A flirtation with relegation can happen to any club, big or small – Everton finished 17th in ’03-’04, under Moyes, with 39 points and only one position above the drop zone.  It happens – to big clubs with good managers.

I’m not happy with the state of affairs at Newcastle, but Ashley is the problem.

In fact, the only goddamn thing he’s done right in recent times is appoint Alan Pardew, and an ignorant bunch of you just went and messed that up, didn’t you?

For anyone who has een too calm/happy this week theres always one arsewipe about to raise your anger

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/objective-measure-alan-pardew-good-manager/

Over his career, his win percentage is 42% from over 715 games.  That’s no accident.  You don’t get that record from being a bad manager.

It is a similar record to David Moyes (44%), who was good enough to be offered the Man Utd job.  It’s far better than Tony Pulis (36%), Steve Bruce (36%), Mark Hughes (39%) and Harry Redknapp (40%).  Redknapp, who was talked about for the England job; and who recently managed Spurs, a club with the kind of ambition many Newcastle supporters would like us to have.  A career win percentage higher than 40% indicates a good manager, and Alan Pardew should be categorised as such.

(Ed: Win record under Pardew – Reading 48% West Ham 41% Charlton 31%, Southampton 53% and Newcastle 38% – Reading and Southampton were in lower leagues, also case at West Ham as well for part of time)

So why the hell did we hound him out of the club?  The problem was never Pardew – the problem was (and continues to be) the owner.  We just got rid of the wrong guy.  For those of you responsible, I hope you’re all ashamed of yourselves.  You should be.

(To feature like Mick, send in your articles for our website to [email protected])

Before you ask, yes – I witnessed the 0-6 drubbing to Liverpool, I’ve seen us drop out of countless cups with barely a whimper, I’ve seen the dreadful run of results against Sunderland.

But I’ve also seen us beat Chelsea at home 3 times in a row; beat Man Utd at Old Trafford.  I witnessed one of the best midfield partnerships in recent times (Cabaye; Tiote) and one of the most effective attacking teams the premier league has seen in the last 5 years when Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa tore teams apart.  That formation 4-3-3 with that team and those players – that was Pardew.  You think someone else did that?

I’ve also seen the team play many many times, and they played for Pardew.  He hadn’t lost the dressing room, they played for him.  They worked for him.  That doesn’t happen if the manager is bad.

What really gets me angry is the brigade who say that everything that went wrong was Pardew’s fault, yet everything that went right was nothing to do with him.  It doesn’t make sense.  Either he’s responsible for everything (good and bad), or he’s responsible for nothing.  Make up your mind.

History, and objective opinion, will show Pardew’s time at Newcastle as a success.  He led us to top 5 and top 10 finishes, and left us in the top 10 again when he departed for Palace.  And he did all of that against a background where we sold our playmaker (Cabaye), where we sold our star striker (Carroll), where we sold our star striker again (Ba) and where Newcastle failed to keep our star striker yet again (Remy).

Yes, for a season we flirted with relegation – a season of terrible injuries, catastrophic loss of form for Cisse, bad luck and French international defenders who looked like they’d never seen a football before (Yanga-Mbiwa, Debuchy).  A flirtation with relegation can happen to any club, big or small – Everton finished 17th in ’03-’04, under Moyes, with 39 points and only one position above the drop zone.  It happens – to big clubs with good managers.

I’m not happy with the state of affairs at Newcastle, but Ashley is the problem.

In fact, the only goddamn thing he’s done right in recent times is appoint Alan Pardew, and an ignorant bunch of you just went and messed that up, didn’t you?

So you actually enjoyed the dour football that Pardew's team played?

Guest Roger Kint

So you actually enjoyed the dour football that Pardew's team played?

:lol: What have i got to do with it?

That is one of the biggest piles of shite that I've ever had the misfortune to read, absolute weapons grade shite.

That is one of the biggest piles of shite that I've ever had the misfortune to read, absolute weapons grade shite.

Serves you right for reading it. I stopped at the first line.