Newcastle 3 - 3 Crystal Palace - 30/8/14 - Post match reaction from p. 42

Mike

Very strange game today. Didn't feel like a 3-3 simply because it was a fairly boring game. We dominated possession but seemed suspect to conceding everytime Palace ventured forward with intent.

Thought Pardew's tactics of Sissoko/Colback in the middle was a disaster. Both covered plenty of grass but neither got a grip of the game, protected the defence or recycled possession well. Anita or Tiote are a must in the midfield. De Jong looked lost on the pitch, didn't find an ounce of space once, he needs time. Cabella couldn't lace Ben Arfa's boots, I do like him but he's going to have to improve a lot if he wants to be a success in this league. Janmaat is also better than Debuchy, easy to see at this early stage.

I'm still replaying in my mind the moment Rivière pointed and told Anita to stride over to mark a player three times the size of him whilst he stood and done fuck all. For that alone, aside from his shite performance, he should be dropped with immediate effect.

Very strange game today. Didn't feel like a 3-3 simply because it was a fairly boring game. We dominated possession but seemed suspect to conceding everytime Palace ventured forward with intent.

Thought Pardew's tactics of Sissoko/Colback in the middle was a disaster. Both covered plenty of grass but neither got a grip of the game, protected the defence or recycled possession well. Anita or Tiote are a must in the midfield. De Jong looked lost on the pitch, didn't find an ounce of space once, he needs time. Cabella couldn't lace Ben Arfa's boots, I do like him but he's going to have to improve a lot if he wants to be a success in this league. Janmaat is also better than Debuchy, easy to see at this early stage.

I'm still replaying in my mind the moment Rivière pointed and told Anita to stride over to mark a player three times the size of him whilst he stood and done fuck all. For that alone, aside from his shite performance, he should be dropped with immediate effect.

He has his critics on here but when Tiote doesn't play there's fucking gaping chasm in the centre of our midfield where he would normally be.

He has his critics on here but when Tiote doesn't play there's fucking gaping chasm in the centre of our midfield where he would normally be.

The major doubt I had about Colback was whether he had the athleticism or speed across the ground to cope without a minder, and on the evidence of this game you would have to say no. He'll be okay in a compressed formation but if the game is open his little legs can't cover the ground quick enough to stay with faster players.

It will boil to the brim soon and we will see come Monday if Ashley wants to progress the club in any way (I don't think he will but Monday will show this once and for all). This team is in desperate need of a 15 - 20 goal striker, a play making central midfielder and a quality centre half. You could also argue about a wide player, ben arfa coming back and the left full back position needs to be sorted also ad of course most importantly a new manager. The team will struggle to score goals on a consistent basis and will ship goals left, right and centre at the other end resulting in a battle to stay above the relegation places. Nothing pre season or in the first three games has shown me there will be the slightest difference to the second half of last season.

I totally believe there will be no signings never mind three with the usual guff being presented come Tuesday. Ashley will also not sack Pardew until Christmas time at the earliest and will then panic into getting a new manager in and a few panic signings before the January window closes hoping we don't go down again to lose money. The outcome will be that we may survive but boy is it going to be a totally shit season due to pathetic and bewildering management at the top. Mark this post.

Agree. I'm not his biggest fan or biggest hater but he's an important player for sure. Has his weaknesses but today nobody just sat in front of the defence and took responsibility to protect the back four and retain possession. Colback and Sissoko seemed intent on who could cover more ground, neither offered us much really, suppose Colback at least put a few tackles in, same can't be said for Sissoko, soft as shite!

Back from the game.

Abominable defending. Absolutely gutless game and lucky to get a point. We just don't know how to play football at this level and unless a significant improvement is made we will be in a relegation fight.

Our defense was poor but Sissoko and Colback can not control a game. Colback is alright but does not dominate and we were vulnerable to too many counter attacks. Anita needs to be in the middle and Sissoko should not be in the holding pair, too much of a liability for losing possession.

Surprised nobody has uploaded any pictures of their "MUG" caps that they got free with their season ticket.

As if the last 3 seasons weren't enough, 48,000 turned up again. Long relegation battle ahead.

Guest awaymag

Well, took my 3 kids (8,6 and 4 years old) to their first Newcastle game (and mine since the man city game about 2 years ago) and we had a great day with the little one asking all the time - who wins and why dont they show the replays.  Think I need to stop him watching the tv so much ;D

Have to say I think the team is weak as p*ss.  We were so poor in the tackle and Riveire? never won a header or held the ball up once.  It is so clear that we need strikers and defenders.....and some midfielders that are direct and actually run at the opposing team (Ben Arfa anyone).  Aaron did that and CP went on the back foot and the crowd showed their support.

Oh and the atmosphere at St James park has gone to the dogs.........CP were singing from the 1st minute (goal helps obviously) but we couldnt be bothered to respond and drown them out.  I think most are turning up out of duty and habit but have had the hope and excitement drained out of them the last couple of years.

I'll be back with the kids as they loved it but I have to say - it will be another season of nothingness unfortunately.  Mid to low table and you can forget about any cup - as soon as this side meets a top 8 team or a premiership side at home - its bye-bye!.

If only Mike would splash £50M of the TV money in the next 3 days - we could then get 2 strikers and 2 defenders.  That would make a hell of a difference.

My final prediction - I bet Ben Arfa is back in the 1st team by end of Sept.........Pardew will be begging him to save his Newcastle job!

Haway the Lads

Agree. I'm not his biggest fan or biggest hater but he's an important player for sure. Has his weaknesses but today nobody just sat in front of the defence and took responsibility to protect the back four and retain possession. Colback and Sissoko seemed intent on who could cover more ground, neither offered us much really, suppose Colback at least put a few tackles in, same can't be said for Sissoko, soft as shite!

A rare agree on this one although Colback even when he did put a tackle in rarely made the foul or came away with the ball.

Our defense was poor but Sissoko and Colback can not control a game.

Said before the game this would happen. Neither of them know how to drop deep, recycle possession and make themselves available for a pass.

Anita is the best we have at that but Tiote is much better at it than the two who played today.

Back from the game.

Abominable defending. Absolutely gutless game and lucky to get a point. We just don't know how to play football at this level and unless a significant improvement is made we will be in a relegation fight.

Our defense was poor but Sissoko and Colback can not control a game. Colback is alright but does not dominate and we were vulnerable to too many counter attacks. Anita needs to be in the middle and Sissoko should not be in the holding pair, too much of a liability for losing possession.

What is this love in with Anita I don't know, he is better than Colback but honestly he is not the answer either. He creates nothing, does not score goals and is as weak as p*ss and is easily outmuscled. As with Colback it takes nothing to be able to pass the ball 10 to 15 yards forward and backwards.