Newcastle 3 - 3 Crystal Palace - 30/8/14 - Post match reaction from p. 42

Mike

He keeps possession better than sissoko and that keeps our defense safer. I agree he creates nothing but we have no midfielders who can create from deep anymore.

I am not Sissoko's biggest fan either for me our centre midfield should be Tiote and a playmaking goal scoring new signing - won't happen though.

There's no love in ffs, he's just a lot better at sitting deep, recycling possession and making himself available for a pass than either Sissoko or Colback.

Do you really think he does as I don't see it as I said anyone can pass the ball 10 - 15 yards it's not going to win you games and he is just too easily outmuscled for me.

Back from the game.

Abominable defending. Absolutely gutless game and lucky to get a point. We just don't know how to play football at this level and unless a significant improvement is made we will be in a relegation fight.

Our defense was poor but Sissoko and Colback can not control a game. Colback is alright but does not dominate and we were vulnerable to too many counter attacks. Anita needs to be in the middle and Sissoko should not be in the holding pair, too much of a liability for losing possession.

What is this love in with Anita I don't know, he is better than Colback but honestly he is not the answer either. He creates nothing, does not score goals and is as weak as p*ss and is easily outmuscled. As with Colback it takes nothing to be able to pass the ball 10 to 15 yards forward and backwards.

Anita is a good footballer in the totally wrong system, he is good at ticking things over and would be great in a team that plays football, passing the ball and moving - basically not us. You need players like that as much as fancy fuckers creating - it takes a healthy balance to win games. I have actually been impressed by how accurate Colback is with his passing and availability for the ball, I thought he was total garbage but has been our best player (Mind that says a lot)

There's no love in ffs, he's just a lot better at sitting deep, recycling possession and making himself available for a pass than either Sissoko or Colback.

Do you really think he does as I don't see it as I said anyone can pass the ball 10 - 15 yards it's not going to win you games and he is just too easily outmuscled for me.

Sissoko can't, neither can half our team judging by today

Shankly transformed an ordinary Liverpool team into legends due to his pass and move philosophy. Do you think Pardew would have done that with the same players?

Never said it does, but the midfield has to be balanced. The two today like to run a lot aimlessly but no one who dictates the tempo from deep.

It's fine to have one of Colback and Sissoko but not both, they need to have Anita or Tiote behind them to give them the ball when things are going well and slow it down when things are not.

Not saying the situation is perfect and we can't improve on the current options, but one of Tiote or Anita should always play until we are able to acquire better options.

Having two midfielders who don't understand how to play deep is asking for trouble and moronic on the managers behalf.

I agree and with Colback, Anita and Sissoko in the middle of the pitch in whatever two play together, you will not win games as in my opinion they offer nothing offensively and defensively.

Never said it does, but the midfield has to be balanced. The two today like to run a lot aimlessly but no one who dictates the tempo from deep.

It's fine to have one of Colback and Sissoko but not both, they need to have Anita or Tiote behind them to give them the ball when things are going well and slow it down when things are not.

Not saying the situation is perfect and we can't improve on the current options, but one of Tiote or Anita should always play until we are able to acquire better options.

Having two midfielders who don't understand how to play deep is asking for trouble and moronic on the managers behalf.

Isn't Colback supposed to be a deep lying midfielder? I was under the impression that's the position he's been picked to play for England.

Isn't Colback supposed to be a deep lying midfielder? I was under the impression that's the position he's been picked to play for England.

Only picked to make the numbers up to be fair.

Only picked to make the numbers up to be fair.

Nevertheless he will have been picked to play as a defensive mid first and foremost. Otherwise they could have picked a left back or a forward to make the numbers up.

Shankly transformed an ordinary Liverpool team into legends due to his pass and move philosophy. Do you think Pardew would have done that with the same players?

Absolutely not, Pardew has no idea about creating shapes to pass the ball and the movement required to dominate, however Sissoko simply can't pass water. Our team seem to think too much about it, ponder on the ball and don't play naturally - it point's to a lack of good coaching most the time but also mentality and confidence issues (Managers should be promoting confidence and freedom on the ball), however could Anita be much better under a better manager?

I agree and with Colback, Anita and Sissoko in the middle of the pitch in whatever two play together, you will not win games as in my opinion they offer nothing offensively and defensively.

I agree the mix of midfielders does not quite work, we don't have a player probing and pushing us forward with incisive play. Sissoko has been shocking in the centre everytime, Anita tries his best but he really is made to sit and keep things moving, Colback is a similar player.

Again who is going to offer a threat going forward - the best teams have a midfield which offer both and I'm sorry with those four players there is no offensive threat what-so-ever and judging by the amount of goals conceded no defensive assist either. Tiote has for a season and a half shown he can do the defensive role well but has for the other two and a half seasons been a liability.

We have no pure midfielders who offer a threat going forward. We are going to have to balance Anita who can keep possession and probably Colback who tries a bit but isn't much good at it. Our midfield is disfunctional but some of the problem is how slow we are to get the ball forward with wide players going too wide and not making runs in behind, rather the wide players are expected to dribble with the ball (I seem to remember we had a player once who could do this, wonder where?) so some of the blame has to go to Pardew.

I like the idea of sissoko there to link play and rampage up the middle but he loses the ball too much. Colback wants to do the right things but is almost to quick to lay the ball off, he does try and go forwards but his decision making is poor. He doesn't slow the game down and make the best pass like Cabaye could.

The best midfield is Anita and Colback I fear. Any other combination is either too defensive or too much a liability. Sissoko does not work there. There is also no creativity there but with our squad that is unavoidable atm. We have no-one to offer threat going forward good enough.

The idea is the front 4 plus fullbacks pushing on would be enough.

Worked for Chelsea last season, not every team has a great CM which are great going forward.

But we can't expect any of the sort under Pardew, also we don't have the players you speak of so it means nothing.

Worked for Chelsea last season, not every team has a great CM which are great going forward.

But we can't expect any of the sort under Pardew, also we don't have the players you speak of so it means nothing.

Chelsea's midfield scored goals though - agree though with Pardew and no chance of the players required coming in, it's going to be a shit long season.

I have no idea how Chelsea managed to fashion a title push last season, but considering how Mourinho is supposed to be a defensive manager I have been surprised how many players he manages to get into attacking positions in and around the opposition penalty area. Shame his friend and protege Alan Pardew hasn't been clued in.

Three thoughts:

1. Aarons was amazing today and has to be a starter

2. We need Anita or Tiote playing in behind Sissoko and Colback again after Palace got at our defence pretty much at will today.

3. We are in desperate need of a decent striker still. If we can't get Lacazette or similar loaning Joel campbell doesn't seem so silly now if they just help get us through the season.

Southampton away is obviously going to be tough so back to a 433 for me:

Krul

Wilo          Colo 

Jaanmat                              Haidara

Anita/Tiote?

Sissoko            Colback

Cabella                              Aarons

De Jong/Perez

Elliott

Taylor

Dummett

MYM