Your favourite type of player

joeyt

Peter Beardsley. My favourite player of my favourite type of player.

He was one of them, but for me Marco van Basten the Dutch striker. A lot of younger members might not have seen him but he was majestic.

Probably just a min-blip but the Dutch haven't produced youngsters like they used to. At the WC most of their star players where in their early 30's..

In the 70's to mid 00's there seemed to be a conveyor belt.

Kluivert was another player who was fantastic to watch in his Ajax days. Similar to van Basten in that he seemed to have it all, good with his head, on the floor and a lethal finisher. I know he was a joke here, but there were still glimpses of the player he was, like the backheel goal from the Bellamy cross, or the towering header that KO'd Chelsea in the cup game.

Would be some match man.

Keegan's pre Shearer team that finished 2nd v Bobby's best Newcastle team.

For my money Keegans team were always strong out the blocks so would win the first half comfortably. Robson's team however did have the knack of finishing games strongly and making a good fist of fighting back from losing position so would shade the second half. Keegan to win the game 5-3.

With regards to the thread topic I've always loved a player with a low centre of gravity allowing them to make absolute mugs out of bigger, stronger, sometimes quicker players. Beardsley being the finest example. Made Paul McGrath look like a Sunday league player one game. Ben arfa and lualua very much in this mould too. Absolutely loved watching Tino play, probably most entertaining player I've seen in black and white, but don't think he fits into any 'type' as such- just a very unique individual.

Wouldn't say he was a joke here at all. We weren't creating many chances that season at all and he still scored a respectable 13 goals in limited appearances. All from open play too.

I never realised he scored that many tbf. I would love to have seen how he'd have got on if SBR had remained in charge that season. Definitely his type of player even if both were  past their best.

People only joke Kluivert being a few clem overweight, still a top player though - very much a case of what could have been RE: his time here.

Absolutely. If Bobby had stayed I think he would have been a success.

Guest neesy111

People only joke Kluivert being a few clem overweight, still a top player though - very much a case of what could have been RE: his time here.

Absolutely. If Bobby had stayed I think he would have been a success.

Still scored 13 goals, which I'd give now from one of our strikers.

I am entertained by the real talented ball-players but as a fan I like the hearty, mediocre lads who give it what they have got in all positions. Just love to see passion and fight. Albeit it doesn't always win you games, but when it does it feels extra special. Getting a mix of the two and winning trophies would be immense. Such a shame Keegan and Sir Bob didn't quite make it.

I am entertained by the real talented ball-players but as a fan I like the hearty, mediocre lads who give it what they have got in all positions. Just love to see passion and fight. Albeit it doesn't always win you games, but when it does it feels extra special. Getting a mix of the two and winning trophies would be immense. Such a shame Keegan and Sir Bob didn't quite make it.

Alan is that you?

Alan is that you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not that bad, trust me. I do see a need for talent.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/08/article-0-042C9919000005DC-757_306x423.jpg

Has every element I love in a striker. Power, tenacity, Heading Ability, Composure, and Strength.

Absolute monster at his peak.

Peter Beardsley. My favourite player of my favourite type of player.

He was one of them, but for me Marco van Basten the Dutch striker. A lot of younger members might not have seen him but he was majestic.

Probably just a min-blip but the Dutch haven't produced youngsters like they used to. At the WC most of their star players where in their early 30's..

In the 70's to mid 00's there seemed to be a conveyor belt.

Kluivert was another player who was fantastic to watch in his Ajax days. Similar to van Basten in that he seemed to have it all, good with his head, on the floor and a lethal finisher. I know he was a joke here, but there were still glimpses of the player he was, like the backheel goal from the Bellamy cross, or the towering header that KO'd Chelsea in the cup game.

Eh? Sol Campbell was a joke. Ian Rush was a joke. Kluivert was decent in my book. He definitely still played with some level of hunger and he was far from finished physically.

That was the start of the Damine Duffs, Geremi's, Viduka's, Smith - all players physically totally shot or couldn't be arsed 80% of the time.

I was going to defend his diving then I remembered the situation where he got legitimately hit but then proceeded to act like he had one of those paralysed mini seizures (lies on the floor still, then does a twitch with his leg).

It was hilarious but can't say he wasn't a prat. "It's a disgrace" is a legendary CL moment.

Just such a big personality. Love him.

Guest TruToon94

Goalkeepers who pull off the impossible and look invincible.

In my lifetime only Given and Neuer have ever pulled it off... In fact Neuer may just be the greatest player I've ever seen. For me he's changed the game completely for keepers which I can't say for any other players in other positions. A GK/CD practically and absolutley superb. Even Messi and Ronaldo won't have the lasting impact he has had on players styles changing considering the like of Pele and Maradonna had somewhat similar impact on the attacking positions.

He's the only revolution in football since Cruyff in my opinion.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm interested to know why you think that...how has he revolutionised it? Off the top of my head I can only think of the way that he's a sweeper.

I'm interested to know why you think that...how has he revolutionised it? Off the top of my head I can only think of the way that he's a sweeper.

Mm, even then others have done it (admittedly to less success) than him before. There've certainly been other players who've brought about changes in position and tactics since Cruyff, even Messi popularised the whole 'false nine' thing (arguably innovated by Totti but that's beside the point).