Ched Evans - Not Guilty

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

But he doesn't work with Children? On a practical level I think any club will be very careful about using in any sort of youth ambassadorial role.

No, but you can't away from the fact that children look up to footballers as role models. We all had replica shirts with our favourite player's name on the back, posters on the wall, hanging on their every word on TV/radio etc.

If that isn't a position of trust, I don't know what is.

He is a convicted rapist by the letter of the law. Following the same law, he is not banned from carrying on as a footballer after his conviction. If he was a teacher or social worker then he would be banned as they are classed as "regulated activities". Being a footballer is not a "regulated activity" by the letter of the law.

But he doesn't work with Children? On a practical level I think any club will be very careful about using in any sort of youth ambassadorial role.

No, but you can't away from the fact that children look up to footballers as role models. We all had replica shirts with our favourite player's name on the back, posters on the wall, hanging on their every word on TV/radio etc.

He is a convicted rapist by the letter of the law. Following the same law, he is not banned from carrying on as a footballer after his conviction. If he was a teacher or social worker then he would be banned as they are classed as "regulated activities". Being a footballer is not a "regulated activity" by the letter of the law.

I know it's not. I never said it was.

I believe a footballer is a "position of trust" and as such' date=' he shouldn't be allowed back into football atm.[/quote']

If that isn't a position of trust' date=' I don't know what is.[/quote']

It's uncomfortable because of the offence but I can't take issue with the principle that somebody should be able to get on with their lives once they have done the punishment society has demanded. Ched Evans didn't decide the punishment he should face.

I think that's actually quite an important lesson to teach young people. Certainly much more important than the notion of the footballer as role model. Parents should be the role models for children.

I believe a footballer is a "position of trust" and as such' date=' he shouldn't be allowed back into football atm.[/quote']

Just conveniently miss the other half of my first post there :lol:. Nevermind, here it is for you:

I'm using it generally to relate it to this case, as opposed to specifically for this case.

On the "role model" issue. If anyone has Ched Evans as role model, then surely the major thing they are going to take away from this is not to copy what he did, but to avoid situations like that at all cost.

He was imprisoned for 2 and a half years for what he obviously considered at the time to be just shagging a drunken slapper. If anything, having him in the public eye is a good cautionary tale for kids - diven't pick up any blart doon big market son, look at what happened to your hero Chedwyn.

Just conveniently miss the other half of my first post there :lol:. Nevermind, here it is for you:

I'm using it generally to relate it to this case, as opposed to specifically for this case.

:lol: Personally, I think he should be allowed to return to professional football. The quicker he does, the quicker it'll be tomorrows chip shop paper.

Positions of trust or working with kids has nothing to do with it. There are hundreds of occupations which you wouldn't be allowed to return to if you had a conviction for rape, in fact any sort of conviction in many cases. I bet you couldn't get a job with the council or as a Civil Servant for example. Even working in a supermarket or something like that.

He should do what other people in his position would have to do and and find another way of making a living.

On the "role model" issue. If anyone has Ched Evans as role model, then surely the major thing they are going to take away from this is not to copy what he did, but to avoid situations like that at all cost.

He was imprisoned for 2 and a half years for what he obviously considered at the time to be just shagging a drunken slapper. If anything, having him in the public eye is a good cautionary tale for kids - diven't pick up any blart doon big market son, look at what happened to your hero Chedwyn.

Slapper :anguish:

He should obviously be allowed back into football.

If no fans are willing to accept him then he's fucked like.

Is this not the problem though? As had been pointed out 20,000 people signed to keep him out of Oldham and they have gates of 4,000 or whatever. What do the fans have to do with it then?

As regards the Lee Hughes and other fella example of them being allowed to resume their careers because they showed remorse - aye, well, they fucking did it beyond a shadow of doubt so they should be remorseful.

Apparently though in the social media age nailed on murder + remorse < flimsy rape conviction + no fake remorse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-2900409/Evans-statement-expected-Thursday.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

One of Oldham's sponsors has severed ties with the club ahead due to the "imminent signing" of convicted rapist Ched Evans.

Verlin Solutions says it will no longer be associated with the club, who are expected to make a statement about the 26-year-old striker on Thursday.

Zen Office Solutions also ended sponsorship deal apparently.

makes me think Oldham got world from Sports Direct that they won't end sponsorship on the stadium. Hell they'll probably become shirt sponsor too since its easy advertising

Think the right decision has been made but he can count himself very lucky that Oldham have handed him the chance. Personally feel once his time has been served he should be allowed to live his life back in society and carry on with his life and if he would like football to be part of that, then that's fair enough imo.

parents who have kids who will look up to Ched Evans as a role model should have their kids taken off them because they are clearly unqualified to be parents

Think the right decision has been made but he can count himself very lucky that Oldham have handed him the chance. Personally feel once his time has been served he should be allowed to live his life back in society and carry on with his life and if he would like football to be part of that, then that's fair enough imo.

That's my position as well. If he's done his time, he should be allowed to return to society and go on with his life.