Newcastle United 3-2 Everton - 28/12/14 Post match reaction from p. 23

Mike

God knows why Martinez didn't start Lukaku against Colo. Always has a mare against him

God knows why he didn't start Miralas or Barkley either. It's almost as if he wanted Pardew to win his final game in charge.

I think a lot of Everton players must have had knocks. You don't rest most of your best players for the fun of it.

Also, it still annoys me how Gareth Barry is seen as being fantastic. He's an absolute liability and rightly dropped from international contention. He'd get sent off within about ten minutes at international level now. He's allowed to get away with a red card challenge almost every game, where other players are being hammered for being reckless. He'd be ridiculously ineffective if the refs started picking up on it.

The first goal bothered me. Neither Williamson nor Colo had the pace to get to the near post to cut that cross off.

Dummett isn't the best all round centre back that we have, but he'd have probably got there, or at least made life awkward for Kone. Regardless of his individual flaws, we did seem a bit stronger when he was in the centre.

I also think they expected Alnwick to come for the cross whereas he was rooted to his line.

Martinez lost them that game. Baines didn't know where he was, Eto'o was playing centre mid and he had three of his strongest players on the bench.

Very good manager though

Not having that. Also just realised I'm going to have to find a new avatar and signature.

Martinez lost them that game. Baines didn't know where he was, Eto'o was playing centre mid and he had three of his strongest players on the bench.

Very good manager though

Not having that. Also just realised I'm going to have to find a new avatar and signature.

I wasn't being serious

Very good manager though

I wasn't being serious

I knew that  :blush:

We've been total w*** this season. That's down to Martinez, but he has earned the right to some time to turn it round.

Martinez has created himself a total mess by changing the tactics this season. Bizarre really. Can't understand what exactly is making him select sides full of players out of position and with no width every week? He's totally nullifying arguably our two best players, Baines & Coleman. Barkley looks lost whenever he's not in the middle.

The less said about the defending the better. The drop off in Barry & Distin has been scary, both look completely shot.

I think the only hope for the season now is to turn it around in the league somewhat and sneak top 10 while having a decent run in the Europa League and/or FA Cup. Tragic we're at that stage already, considering how good we looked on paper in the summer and the general positivity around the whole club.

Everton's defence always felt like a camel (to paraphrase an analogy from the Alchemist): it got older without gradual signs of aging and then just collapsed. If it had deterioriated over time it could have been remedied more easily. Going to be a tough season for them and Martinez's biggest test/criticism will need to be addressed: building a defence from scratch.

Got lost a bit with all the other stuff but can anybody remember a worse atmosphere at SJP than this one? There was one point in the first half you could actually here people in the next stand talking to each other.

Numerous times last season.

Doesn't help when the away lot aren't the most vocal to hide it like Everton tend to be.