Rémi Garde and the case of the missing art galleries

Nobody

Sky sports have just said we have spoken to him and two other potential candidates. We haven't offered him the job yet as we are to speak to one more candidate in the next 24 hours.

f*** that man, just get Garde in.

Disagree tbh. It surely depends who the other candidates are.

I'd be pleased with Garde, but if the other 3 we're interviewing are even better then I'm happy to wait.

To be realistic about Garde, he took over Lyon 3 years after they'd won Ligue 1 for SEVEN consecutive years. His win record of 51% is good, but not spectacular.

In the years before Garde took over and after their streak of 7 titles, Lyon finished 3rd, then 2nd, then 3rd again. Then the Garde years:

2011-2012 - 4th - 64pts - Europa League group stages

2012-2013 - 3rd - 67pts - CL qualification

2013-2014 - 5th - 61pts - Only just qualifying for the Europa League

To mitigate that, of course he had boatloads of players sold. But the overall trajectory seems to be (very slowly) downwards and currently, without Garde, Lyon are 2nd.

Don't misunderstand me, I'd be happy with him. But I don't see him as some kind of miracle appointment who we just MUST get. That said, I know virtually nothing of French football.

Exactly, Lee Ryder just repeats what he may hear elsewhere, where as SSN is no longer the standard bearer for footballing news.

Foreign and (some) social media outlets are becoming far more reliable.

Sky are just trying to spice up what's probably quite a boring story to them. Reminds me of one of the January transfer windows where they claimed a mystery club had activated Diame's West Ham release clause and then nothing happened and nothing more was said. If there were other candidates they'd have named them.

You do realize this coincided with (1) PSG takeover and massive investment in players and Ancelotti and Blanc (2) THAT Lille team that had Cabaye, Hazard, Debuchy, Sow and Gervinho led by Rudi Garcia (3) THAT Montpellier team that had Giroud, Cabella, Belhanda, Stamboulli and MYM led by Rene Girard.

Sky sports have just said we have spoken to him and two other potential candidates. We haven't offered him the job yet as we are to speak to one more candidate in the next 24 hours.

f*** that man, just get Garde in.

Disagree tbh. It surely depends who the other candidates are.

I'd be pleased with Garde, but if the other 3 we're interviewing are even better then I'm happy to wait.

To be realistic about Garde, he took over Lyon 3 years after they'd won Ligue 1 for SEVEN consecutive years. His win record of 51% is good, but not spectacular.

In the years before Garde took over and after their streak of 7 titles, Lyon finished 3rd, then 2nd, then 3rd again. Then the Garde years:

2011-2012 - 4th - 64pts - Europa League group stages

2012-2013 - 3rd - 67pts - CL qualification

2013-2014 - 5th - 61pts - Only just qualifying for the Europa League

To mitigate that, of course he had boatloads of players sold. But the overall trajectory seems to be (very slowly) downwards and currently, without Garde, Lyon are 2nd.

Don't misunderstand me, I'd be happy with him. But I don't see him as some kind of miracle appointment who we just MUST get. That said, I know virtually nothing of French football.

That's kinda the point isn't it?  Before Garde they were paying big money for top players

Afterwards they developed all the talent from within and sold them as soon as they became good. Also ask any french journo and they will tell you that they are doing well this season as a result of Garde's good work.

No one is saying he's some kind of miracle appointment, just that he fits exactly what we need and miles better than anything we believed to be possible under Ashley.

seem like the only thing could delay garde's appointment is waiting till the transfer window shuts.

only thing that could possibly stop it altogether would be his wage demands or his choice of coaching team.

Guest VanBarduck

You do realize this coincided with (1) PSG takeover and massive investment in players and Ancelotti and Blanc (2) THAT Lille team that had Cabaye, Hazard, Debuchy, Sow and Gervinho led by Rudi Garcia (3) THAT Montpellier team that had Giroud, Cabella, Belhanda, Stamboulli and MYM led by Rene Girard.

This basically. Brillant.

People tend to look at results and statistics without taking into account all of the elements.

I love the internet. People somehow managing to turn what I wrote into some kind of anti-Garde piece when I clearly said, twice, that I'd be happy with him.

For absolute clarity: I'd be happy with him.

To further clarify what I was trying to say: I don't mind if the appointment process takes longer, provided we appoint the best candidate. If that's not Garde because we find someone better, then fucking great.