Newcastle United vs Southampton - Sat 17th Jan @ 5:30pm (live on Sky)

Dave

Didn't realise Sunderland allowed Southampton to train at The Academy of Light today

Quite a shame that SAFC's Academy facilities shit all over ours. We really are taking our sweet fucking time on the new one for us.

Guest neesy111

15 years ago today we beat Southampton 5-0. This is part of the NUFC.com match report... How supporting Newcastle should be like!

Five months after the departure of the supposed architect of sexy football, the old stager Bobby saw his World XI give Dave Jones a right royal rogering on live TV, and basked in the post-coital afterglow with all the pride of a new father. For once, headlines of the nature of "Robson enjoys Romp" weren't of the sleaze-related variety, thankfully. 

At the risk of plagiarizing oneself, this game was the epitome of what Newcastle home games should against opposition of this stature i.e. a one-sided stuffing. In our early years of Premiership life, the men Kevin Keegan sent out invariably went straight for the jugular of teams from the lower reaches of the league (and above, although that's another story.) Cast your mind back to turning over Swindon and Coventry, Wimbledon and indeed a Southampton side featuring one Bruce Grobelaar in nets. The common thread in those victories in my own jaundiced opinion was a superior force of will as well as better footballing resources. The confidence engendered in the team by sympathetic management and the players own performances made us a formidable proposition at home, with or without the alleged "goal start" the crowd give us.

I remember that match was on Sky, we absolutely battered them.  Without that bad start we would had easily finished inside top 7 that season imo.

Whenever you criticise Pardew, just think, Southampton & Newcastle would never be top 10 clubs like they are now without him getting the ball rolling at each of them.

Looking forward to seeing if Cabella kicks on from his Chelsea performance, if he gets started that is.

Pardew would undoubtedly drop him for this game, lets see what the clone does.

Said Cabella will start in the press, which is great.  Although, he also said - along the lines - that he has to "work harder for the team", which is ominously familiar :anguish:

Carver licking the fans hoops in his match presser. Saying he was embarrassed to be part of the coaching staff when they beat us 4-0, and the fans rightly booed us. :lol: did he not have a go at one of the fans that day?

Carver licking the fans hoops in his match presser. Saying he was embarrassed to be part of the coaching staff when they beat us 4-0, and the fans rightly booed us. :lol: did he not have a go at one of the fans that day?

Rings a bell aye. :lol:

Going to this tomorrow instead of watching on Sky. Mate has offered me a free-ticket. My first trip to St James' for a year.

freeloader. joking

:o :D I'm not actually over-fussed about going today, but the Mrs says that I can't let my mate down.

I think they are waiting for Carver to get a "good" result to give him the job. Loss pls

Makes no sense whatsoever. So they will wait until the 10th game if need be? The cynicism is totally understandable but it just doesn't add up. As has been proven, the club do what they want, regardless of fan opinion.

He will either get the job or he won't, who knows whether it will be a decision made on finances (saving pennies until the end of the season), politics (Ashley looking to sell) or simply because they think (wrongly) that Carver is the man for the job.

Don't know why I'm even watching this but check out the impending hypocrisy between the way they are discussing Southampton and how they will discuss us on Soccer Saturday.

Watching it. I'm waiting for them to briefly mention us and slate us.