Rangers - Lambeezy kicked off board

Guest Recoba

The club has generally been rubbish since the 50s with a few highs and many lows.  The current state of play is that all the money coming into the club is not being spent on the club, all money except transfer money vanishes from site.

Ashley has done a cracking job for himself by creating a team that can manage on the bare minimum while all the TV  and commercial money goes elseware.

The club has been hollowed out from the inside.

Anyone trying to tell me Ashley has turned NUFC around needs a kicking.

As a business, financially and as a going concern it is, in terms of football and how the sporting side of the club is being managed it isn't.

The profits the club make are not reinvested, it seems to disappear in Ashley's/Sports Direct's coffers, the same as all club shop turnover does. We've lost the ability to find our own corporate partners, we receive nothing in terms of sponsorship from Sports Direct so are straight away selling ourselves short.  The fact is NUFC, and soon Rangers also, are vehicles for Mike Ashley to make money and little else.

As a business, financially and as a going concern it is, in terms of football and how the sporting side of the club is being managed it isn't.

The profits the club make are not reinvested, it seems to disappear in Ashley's/Sports Direct's coffers, the same as all club shop turnover does. We've lost the ability to find our own corporate partners, we receive nothing in terms of sponsorship from Sports Direct so are straight away selling ourselves short.  The fact is NUFC, and soon Rangers also, are vehicles for Mike Ashley to make money and little else.

You mean like when we got outbid by Norwich and wouldn't cough up £140K for Steve Bruce (he wanted to come) and sold every player who was any good for washers, and we watched Graham Oates and Wayne Ferreday etc. etc. those times were better than now ? yes ?

You mean like when we got outbid by Norwich and wouldn't cough up £140K for Steve Bruce (he wanted to come) and sold every player who was any good for washers, and we watched Graham Oates and Wayne Ferreday etc. etc. those times were better than now ? yes ?

No. But neither are they like when Keegan or Sir Bobby were in charge, or even as good as when Sounness or Glen Roeder were here ffs. All I'm saying is the club doesn't have the profile it did even in the early 00's.

No it isn't

If you watched NUFC in the 70's and 80's it most certainly is.

Just ignoring the 90s then?

Did our history start in the 90's ? I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I was watching Newcastle way before the 90's.

We had a brief hiatus of decency in the 90's with KK and then subsequently later under SBR, we've been way shitter before those spells than we are now, it's not even close.

No. But neither are they like when Keegan or Sir Bobby were in charge, or even as good as when Sounness or Glen Roeder were here ffs. All I'm saying is the club doesn't have the profile it did even in the early 00's.

So we're not as good as our highest point, I agree, but our current "low" is nothing near as low as we have been in the past (which goes back beyond 1992), in fact compared to some of those times it's bloody great.

I mean how far back do you want to take it? I suppose we should just be happy the club was formed in 1892 and be f***ing thankful for it eh?

Erm, I take my NUFC experience back as far as I can recall it, and now is amongst the better of those times, not the best by any stretch, and most certainly not the best it could be, but it is way closer to the better than the worst.

If you look at the whole history of NUFC, the Keegan / Bobby times were a blip.  We are a mid table top division team, who every so often enjoys a relegation or a spell in and around the top five. 

If your worst NUFC memory prior to Alan Pardew was Graeme Souness, then you have higher expectations than many older Newcastle fans.  Hence the disbelief among the younger fans of this messageboard that there is not open protests in the ground, or more boycotts.  The matchgoing crowd is generally a lot more grey, and will remember much worse, in a terrible ground, through the late 70s and 1980s.

Back then you had the Pink, now you have SSNHQ 24/7.  Expectations are different.

It should be remembered though that KK / Bobby was pre-Abramavich and pre-Mansour.  Back then it was only really Man U or Arsenal for the title, apart from that Blackburn blip.  Now loaded Man City and Chelsea are in the mix, and able to spend £20 million plus on substitutes (Cuadrado and Bony).  Even Liverpool have absurd international income, which all the long haul pre-season tours cannot match.

All that is not to say that we are not fulfilling the potential which is clearly there, but I cannot accept the argument that this is the worst period in the history of NUFC.  You are lucky if you think that is the case.

So we're not as good as our highest point, I agree, but our current "low" is nothing near as low as we have been in the past (which goes back beyond 1992), in fact compared to some of those times it's bloody great.

Ah class then. May as well praise ash. What total bollocks. It's not as bad as it was back then!!! f***ing hell:

Where did I say you should praise Ashley, it is simply that now is absolutely 100% not the worst I have seen NUFC be, it's not even close.

I understand you wouldn't see it that way, most Newcastle fans (including my sons) of the skyboy age group have no comprehension of what supporting a shit football team really is like.

No it's not.  Everything ashley has done has taken this club backwards.  Comparing it to the past is completely futile. It's f***ing s*** now, he's a c***, and he's ripped the heart out of the club. End of story

First two sentences are basically untrue, the rest is your opinion, I agree Ashley is a cunt, but it's not as fucking shit as it could be.

Oh man, just to have that TV money to spend on the club and players, even shepherd knew how to get great sponsorship deals and shirt manufacturing deals.

19th richest club in the world while also being held back.

Oh man, just to have that TV money to spend on the club and players, even shepherd knew how to get great sponsorship deals and shirt manufacturing deals.

Every club in the North East (Falcons Rugby, Eagles Basketball, Durham Cricket) received  fantastic sponsorship deal from the failed institution known as Northern Rock.

Every club in the North East (Falcons Rugby, Eagles Basketball, Durham Cricket) received  fantastic sponsorship deal from the failed institution known as Northern Rock.

Those mentioned in your reply didn;t get the money from NTL tho, that Shepherd organised.

No it's not.  Everything ashley has done has taken this club backwards.  Comparing it to the past is completely futile. It's f***ing s*** now, he's a c***, and he's ripped the heart out of the club. End of story

First two sentences are basically untrue, the rest is your opinion, I agree Ashley is a c***, but it's not as f***ing s*** as it could be.

There are long term season ticket holders jacking it in. How is "it's not as s*** as it could be" an argument at all! "Hey we are bottom of the league"

"At least we aren't in league 1! Stay positive"!"

I maybe should have said not as bad as I have actually seen it (indeed not as bad as it's been for just about the majority of my NUFC supporting days).

I would add there are many long term season ticket holders who are NOT jacking it in. Some of whom stood in crowds of way less than 20,000, aye it was fucking so much better back then.

Those mentioned in your reply didn;t get the money from NTL tho, that Shepherd organised.

The several millions of money from NTL that bought shares off SJH, that NTL money ??

If I may, I don't think the problem lies in the current situation being better or worse than the previous ones - you can easily find times where the club was better or worse, as people have pointed -, it is the utter lack of willingness to at least try to make it better than it currently is.

If I may, I don't think the problem lies in the current situation being better or worse than the previous ones - you can easily find times where the club was better or worse, as people have pointed -, it is the utter lack of willingness to at least try to make it better than it currently is.

Yep exactly. Debt issues and player sales and all that are one thing, but it's the pointlessness of our existence which is the worst thing.

This. We've been awful plenty of times in the past, we've had our fair share of disappointments, but before Ashley you could always at least hope for better next year. What have we got to look forward to next season?