Rangers - Lambeezy kicked off board

Guest Recoba

My first game was in the 70's and I've seen some fucking shite over the last close on 40 years, but it's the fact that within recent memory that we were challenging for honours and we were playing champions league football that makes the current situation at the club so completely fucking infuriating.  Rangers Pack - you have to bear in mind that a massive percentage of our support simply aren't old enough to remember the way football in general was for most clubs.  The fact that these 'youngsters' (fucking hell) aren't prepared just to bend over and be shafted is a good thing.  Aye we've been in worse situations, but not for a lot of our fans and their opinion is just as vital as anybody elses.  I have some great memories of 20k crowds.  The ground was delapidated, the football was shit but the club felt like it belonged to us.  I've never felt so aliented as a NUFC supporter as I do currently.  All of that is down to one man. 

My first game was in the 70's and I've seen some f***ing s**** over the last close on 40 years, but it's the fact that within recent memory that we were challenging for honours and we were playing champions league football that makes the current situation at the club so completely f***ing infuriating.  Rangers Pack - you have to bear in mind that a massive percentage of our support simply aren't old enough to remember the way football in general was for most clubs.  The fact that these 'youngsters' (f***ing hell) aren't prepared just to bend over and be shafted is a good thing.  Aye we've been in worse situations, but not for a lot of our fans and their opinion is just as vital as anybody elses.  I have some great memories of 20k crowds.  The ground was delapidated, the football was s*** but the club felt like it belonged to us.  I've never felt so aliented as a NUFC supporter as I do currently.  All of that is down to one man. 

I agree with a lot of that BUT I do disagree that it's simply down to one man, IMO it's down to football itself. The game's a phony as far as real competition is concerned.

The change in the game has facilitated people like Ashley, but it doesn't make it inevitable that you end up with a prick like him. So we shall fight, and not just accept our lot because it "used to be worse".

Modern football has decimated competition so much that four clubs (Wigan, Hull, Swansea, Stoke) who have played in the fourth tier since the inception of the Premier League have all played in cup finals since Ashley arrived. Closed shop indeed.

The change in the game has facilitated people like Ashley, but it doesn't make it inevitable that you end up with a prick like him. So we shall fight, and not just accept our lot because it "used to be worse".

You will fight how exactly, it is what it is, there's no winning of any fight ??

The vast majority of match going fans simply go because they like to watch a game of football. Shit we haven't won anything for decades and decades and still 50K turn up.

You will fight how exactly, it is what it is, there's no winning of any fight ??

The vast majority of match going fans simply go because they like to watch a game of football. Shit we haven't won anything for decades and decades and still 50K turn up.

Absolutely spineless. Can't be fucked.

The only thing the fans can fight against is by simply not turning up.

It's a business, not a football club anymore, so time for every fan to be united together so we can attack that balance sheet. Ashley would sit up and take note of that and the national media.

Modern football has decimated competition so much that four clubs (Wigan, Hull, Swansea, Stoke) who have played in the fourth tier since the inception of the Premier League have all played in cup finals since Ashley arrived. Closed shop indeed.

Yeah and we played in cup finals under the Seymour's/McKeag's etc. I don't want the club to just play in a cup final (been there, seen it, done it, got the rosette and shite memories of losing) I'd like them to win one and the sad fact is that since 1988 only Wimbledon, Everton, Portsmouth and Wigan have done that, otherwise it's been a parade of the usual suspects.

Let's face it that success has served 3 of those 4 very well indeed hasn't it.

The vast majority of match going fans simply go because they like to watch a game of football. s*** we haven't won anything for decades and decades and still 50K turn up.

Absolutely spineless. Can't be f***ed.

No answer you mean

My first game was in the 70's and I've seen some f***ing s**** over the last close on 40 years, but it's the fact that within recent memory that we were challenging for honours and we were playing champions league football that makes the current situation at the club so completely f***ing infuriating.  Rangers Pack - you have to bear in mind that a massive percentage of our support simply aren't old enough to remember the way football in general was for most clubs.  The fact that these 'youngsters' (f***ing hell) aren't prepared just to bend over and be shafted is a good thing.  Aye we've been in worse situations, but not for a lot of our fans and their opinion is just as vital as anybody elses.  I have some great memories of 20k crowds.  The ground was delapidated, the football was s*** but the club felt like it belonged to us.  I've never felt so aliented as a NUFC supporter as I do currently.  All of that is down to one man. 

I agree with a lot of that BUT I do disagree that it's simply down to one man, IMO it's down to football itself. The game's a phony as far as real competition is concerned.

Football has changed massively over the last 20 years and not necessarily for the better, but to not try to be the best the club can possibly be and try to offer some kind of reward to the fans that turn up despite the lack of a meaningful trophy since 1969 is unforgivable.  And that's all down to one man. 

I haven't agreed with much of what Rangers Pack has said but is he going to be another one with a minority view who will be driven off this Forum because of those views?

From a purely financial point of view this club has rarely, if ever, been in such a healthy position as it is now. Taken in isolation this is clearly a fact. There are, however, plenty of reasons for that not least of which is the TV money. Football has never been just about money though has it? There are many reasons why we develop a passion for our clubs which will be pretty much the same from one fan to the next, not least of which is hope. We are at the point where we don't even have that. That is the fundamental issue for me and the lack of it is by far the greatest reason for me cancelling my season ticket for next season. I haven't regretted it yet. Well its only been a week mind!

Aye, he's right, it is SOOO much worse right now than standing in the rain with p*ss running down the steps watching Glen f***ing Keeley or John Bird at centre half.

I couldn't give a crap about standing in the rain with piss running down the steps, I would rather do that than sit in the morgue we have now.

While you were watching Glen Keeley and John Bird, most people were watching Macdonald, Nattrass, Kennedy, Smith, Tudor, Hibbitt, Terry Mac and one or two others, numpty.

:lol:

Without looking, I would imagine the average league finishes in the 70s with those players, some considered legends, is probably around the same as the last 10 years.

Difference is, I imagine the club aspired to be its best back then and were a club to be proud to follow.

We had no more realistic hope of winning something back then than we do now, other than the standard fans hope of winning the next game. We never contemplated we could win the league (although hopes were high when we splashed out and signed Beasant,Thorn etc. and that worked out predictably well).

We have as much realistic hope now, as we did back then.

Bollocks, we actually competed for cups back then, something we don't do now.

We had little or no chance of winning the league but we tried and failed in cups, we got to 2 finals in the 70's, are you going to claim that we'll repeat that any time soon?

If your answer is anything other than no, you're nuts.

Spot on.

“Well' date=' the average for this club over the last 10 years in the Premiership is 48 points, and I think if we get that or anything above that, I think it will be a good season for us.[/quote']

That's why we're hitting our average so well, because we're trying to.

Aye, he's right, it is SOOO much worse right now than standing in the rain with p*ss running down the steps watching Glen f***ing Keeley or John Bird at centre half.

I couldn't give a crap about standing in the rain with piss running down the steps, I would rather do that than sit in the morgue we have now.

While you were watching Glen Keeley and John Bird, most people were watching Macdonald, Nattrass, Kennedy, Smith, Tudor, Hibbitt, Terry Mac and one or two others, numpty.

:lol:

We sold most of those players as soon as someone dangled anything resembling a decent offer in front of us and they were happy to go to more ambitious clubs than us and win things.

Nowts changed between then and now except I'm a bit older and the stadium is a now a decent stadium rather than a shit tip.

The Premier League has changed perceptions about each football club and mass generalisations are now made about each.

All clubs prior to the Premier League suffered years of peaks and troughs.  Man Utd were relegated in the 70s and Liverpool were a second division in the 60s.  For those two clubs, a special manager with vision transformed them whilst money has transformed City and Chelsea and although Arsenal seemed to have been historically well-managed, there were many years when they were average.

Look at Southampton's recent history - League 1 football and administration.

What happened in previous years does not mean that has to dictate the future.  Well-managed clubs can grow and progress and although obviously money is a huge factor these days, the lack of it does not mean you should eradicate the ability to compete.

Whatever way you spin the stats through the history of football, Newcastle's placing usually averages out between 6th-9th - whether that is league places, trophies won, European games, attendances etc.  Yes we were rubbish in the 80s but we had our moments between the late 60s and early 70s and in most decades before then. That to me dictates that we should always be aiming to challenge the top 8 and some years we will do a little better than that.  Obviously, there will be some years where you fall back into the pack - look at Man Utd with their change of manager.  Liverpool fell away and now seem to be back again.  It usually comes down to good management and a vision but unfortunately we have too often been mis-managed and the supporters' loyalty abused.

We sold most of those players as soon as someone dangled anything resembling a decent offer in front of us and they were happy to go to more ambitious clubs than us and win things.

Nowts changed between then and now except I'm a bit older and the stadium is a now a decent stadium rather than a s*** tip.

We did sell players then and we do the same now, I've already said, I'd rather stand in that shit tip than sit in the morgue that we have now. 

I haven't agreed with much of what Rangers Pack has said but is he going to be another one with a minority view who will be driven off this Forum because of those views?

From a purely financial point of view this club has rarely, if ever, been in such a healthy position as it is now. Taken in isolation this is clearly a fact. There are, however, plenty of reasons for that not least of which is the TV money. Football has never been just about money though has it? There are many reasons why we develop a passion for our clubs which will be pretty much the same from one fan to the next, not least of which is hope. We are at the point where we don't even have that. That is the fundamental issue for me and the lack of it is by far the greatest reason for me cancelling my season ticket for next season. I haven't regretted it yet. Well its only been a week mind!

Our debt has actually doubled under Ashley, only difference is we owe Ashley all the money (he will get it back), additionally our revenue has proportionally decreased since Ashley has taken over.

When you factor in the huge surge in TV money, this rhetoric that Ashley has helped steady the ship is false. It's the same as a lottery winner claiming he earned 5 million last year.