Rangers - Lambeezy kicked off board

Guest Recoba

I agree with Rangers Pack that elite football has fundamentally changed, and the wealth now required to acheive much is insane. Man Utd are about to spend epic amounts of money to finish 4th or possibly lower.

But the problem is that we're not even trying to get the best out of what we do have and what we can spend. We're appointing useless managers, giving away talented players for nothing, openly admitting we don't want cups or Europe. Basically we don't exist as a sporting organisation except to be there for someone to attach advertising hoardings to.

Shame Rangers Pack didn't catch a fatal case of pneumonia being a better fan than us in the 1970s in the cold and p*ss.

OOOH that's nice, pretty sure if I posted similar I'd get banned.

Pretty sure you'll get banned for being a fucking stupid troll.

And before you bleat, as you have already done, about contrary opinions and lynch mobs and conformity, may I direct you to this post:

I agree, apart from the last bit, I happen to hope (admittedly this hope is about as reasonable as my yearly hope of winning something) that Ashley is playing the long game and the club is being built organically towards the point where, within its means (because that's the only way it'll happen, less a sale to an Arab prince) it will progress.

I much prefer to maintain that hope than wallow in/see everything in the negative.

"Maintaining hope"? Nah, you're fucking trolling...

Old head on young shoulders. Hard to see why a player with such a great attitude (at least on camera) has gone from so promising to this.  Then again its not really, Pardew and his clowns really could not develop any players with potential, never mind the ones already at a certain level.

Hope he does well and gets his chance here next season.

Guest alijmitchell

I agree with Rangers Pack that elite football has fundamentally changed, and the wealth now required to acheive much is insane. Man Utd are about to spend epic amounts of money to finish 4th or possibly lower.

But the problem is that we're not even trying to get the best out of what we do have and what we can spend. We're appointing useless managers, giving away talented players for nothing, openly admitting we don't want cups or Europe. Basically we don't exist as a sporting organisation except to be there for someone to attach advertising hoardings to.

The Man U thing is an anomaly no? I mean, they have spunked loads of cash - but did they need to? From a commercial point of view they bought Di Maria, Falcao to make sure they finished top 4, but I don't think those players were needed or the spend justified. They've wasted cash, pure and simple.

The Man U thing is an anomaly no? I mean, they have spunked loads of cash - but did they need to? From a commercial point of view they bought Di Maria, Falcao to make sure they finished top 4, but I don't think those players were needed or the spend justified. They've wasted cash, pure and simple.

:thup: if they spread it throughout the team they'd be pushing the top. They've just spent stupidly.

Guest alijmitchell

Well OK. But whether they've spent it well or not, the fact remains they needed to spend massive money to compete.

Just saying - I'm not sure they did need to spend massive money. Their star performers this season have by and large been the 'old' players. Rooney, Young, Valencia. Over the years though, obviously they've had to spend to stay competitive, but I think last summer was an anomaly and wasn't needed.

EDIT - Carrick an aw

Guest alijmitchell

Sorry, hijacking the thread - the point is that I'm not sure spending such colossal sums is the only way to improve. Therefore the 'we need an arab billionaire' argument I think is largely a load of shit. We aren't going to be able to break the Chelsea/City dominance, but we can reach as far as Spurs/Everton and potentially even Liverpool commercially with some clear strategic planning both from a footballing and marketing POV

Sorry, hijacking the thread - the point is that I'm not sure spending such colossal sums is the only way to improve. Therefore the 'we need an arab billionaire' argument I think is largely a load of shit. We aren't going to be able to break the Chelsea/City dominance, but we can reach as far as Spurs/Everton and potentially even Liverpool commercially with some clear strategic planning both from a footballing and marketing POV

I agree with this, but we would still fall short of actual sporting success in the traditional sense of the word. Coming 5th isn't achieving anything. I'm not sure it's possible to win the league by gradual improvement spending a modest amount each year.

Anyway, the main issue is we aren't even trying to improve, which I hate. And not focusing on the cups, which is even more annoying if anything.

I agree with this, but we would still fall short of actual sporting success in the traditional sense of the word. Coming 5th isn't achieving anything. I'm not sure it's possible to win the league by gradual improvement spending a modest amount each year.

Anyway, the main issue is we aren't even trying to improve, which I hate. And not focusing on the cups, which is even more annoying if anything.

This is spot on, especialy when the club itself issued a statement a few years back about there being 'no capital outlay'.  Given that we spent fuck all of the TV money we received in the summer, they need to revise that now to 'no outlay'.  Nobody is expecting Ashley to suddenly spend £100m on players but it isn't too much to expect surely to spend the money the club receives.  You add a decent centre half and another striker to the current pool of players then I don't think the squad would look to bad.  But that would showing a modicum of ambition.  Can't be having that now can we? 

My first game was in the 70's and I've seen some f***ing s**** over the last close on 40 years, but it's the fact that within recent memory that we were challenging for honours and we were playing champions league football that makes the current situation at the club so completely f***ing infuriating.  Rangers Pack - you have to bear in mind that a massive percentage of our support simply aren't old enough to remember the way football in general was for most clubs.  The fact that these 'youngsters' (f***ing hell) aren't prepared just to bend over and be shafted is a good thing.  Aye we've been in worse situations, but not for a lot of our fans and their opinion is just as vital as anybody elses.  I have some great memories of 20k crowds.  The ground was delapidated, the football was s*** but the club felt like it belonged to us.  I've never felt so aliented as a NUFC supporter as I do currently.  All of that is down to one man. 

I agree with a lot of that BUT I do disagree that it's simply down to one man, IMO it's down to football itself. The game's a phony as far as real competition is concerned.

Football has changed massively over the last 20 years and not necessarily for the better, but to not try to be the best the club can possibly be and try to offer some kind of reward to the fans that turn up despite the lack of a meaningful trophy since 1969 is unforgivable.  And that's all down to one man. 

I agree, apart from the last bit, I happen to hope (admittedly this hope is about as reasonable as my yearly hope of winning something) that Ashley is playing the long game and the club is being built organically towards the point where, within its means (because that's the only way it'll happen, less a sale to an Arab prince) it will progress.

I much prefer to maintain that hope than wallow in/see everything in the negative.

But experience of Ashley points to the exact opposite of this?  He treat 2 of the clubs legends like dirt and continues to hold the fans - his paying public - in utter disdain.  He doesn't communicate with supporters, he employs yes men and lick arses.  He admitted to purposefully lying to fans and press alike.  The club is in limbo and will remain in limbo until he decides he's had enough.  I dread to think the state the club will be in by that point.  I already see more Man City and Chelsea shirts than ever in the region and that's f***ing heartbreaking to anybody who has seen the potential this club has.  Ashley has ruined that potential, sapped the club of all self worth and turned into a bill board for his shops.  Once again, as a supporter, I have never felt like my support means so little to the owners of this club. 

It used to be Man Utd shirts when I was younger (70's), they were the only team that recognised the potential of merchandise that early on.

I don't buy this soul of the club stuff as an NUFC only thing, football sold it's soul to Sky and ££££'s Ashley is a cunt, no doubt, but then again successful businessmen tend to be exactly that.

The disdain fans are held in is no greater now than it ever was IMO and no different from any other clubs at the upper end of the league where attendances really don't matter like they did.

Atmosphere has all but gone, but that's a football wide thing, you are expected to turn up, bloody well sit down and don't get annoyed or shout anything "offensive", applaud politely and simply be a consumer.

As I said in another post, I retain hope (however forlorn) that by slow organic growth the club can achieve it's potential, that hope is based on the fact that Ashley (the cunt) is successful and he became that way by playing the long game. My concern is that the reality of that potential will be stifled by the way the game has become rigged financially to the benefit of clubs run by Oligarchs, Arabs (and the ridiculous loan system) and those clubs (unlike us) who managed to stay at the top of the tree when the money really exploded.

The main worry is that the reality of realising that potential, due to the aforementioned financial imbalance, might actually be top 5-10 year on year. I'm not mentioning cups because I'm in the "if your name's on it" camp, and we haven't had that for 60 years.

On the bright side, maybe he's clearing the decks to flog us, new owners rarely like an incumbent manager - we don't have one, new managers like their own players and we've plenty scope for that having been pared down etc.

Nah, none of my mates who  support other teams feel even a tenth as bad as we do. Again, dross.

I, nor my mates, or my sons, or many others (Ujpest on here as an example and thousands, even tens of thousands of other match-goers), don't feel a tenth as bad as you do either, therefore your point is ...........erm, pointless.

I had hope about three years ago that what he was attempting to build was a sustainable slow growth model that would see us as competitive over a long period of time. But having been burnt about fourteen times by the fat cunt since then, I have since learned that such a thing isn't his goal. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence has come to the same conclusion, and anyone with a hint of backbone doesn't just accept it like a little bitch.

:lol:

This thread needs renaming - Most of it has had SFA (ironically) to do with The Rangers FC.

Just to contradict that point though...the problem now seems to be societal as much as it is anything else.

I'm a firm believer in standing up for what you believe in, and unfortunately peacefully protesting doesn't normally suffice in my opinion. Apart from the SackPardew thing, which revitalised my opinion on how a group can promote or help enforce change through a lack of illegal action. I don't see many protests that have really changed much, when some form of potentially illegal act hasn't occurred. Probably for the simple fact it isn't reported. Those guys did it excellently, despite maybe going a bit quiet in the end. They woke up the fan base and media, and the national media started to latch on to it.

As a 25 year old, I am probably a little biased in this sense. However, with society I feel that most of the 'older' generations simply look at the 'youth of today' as a general waste of space and nothing but a bunch of yobs, trying to stir up trouble. I'm sure in 10/20 years I too will probably feel the same, I guess it's understandable to a degree. Rose tinted glasses and all that...

The thing is, what these older people (and even myself sometimes) need to remember is that these youngsters actively promoting change are looking for their sense of belonging and direction. Looking for the key to unlock their adult personality. They have no ties, other than to that of the things they have grown to love and at their stage in life, it's a hormonal desire for sex, drugs and rock and roll (so to speak).

I get bored of hearing older generations telling youngsters what they should be appreciative of and how things could be worse. They weren't alive in "their" generation so how are they to know or more importantly, understand. Nor can you blame them for not being there. They only have their experiences to go off, and whilst they should learn from others' mistakes from the past, they have to be willing to stand up for what they believe to be right. With CCTV and seemingly an increased power held by media streams the 'youth of today' are being beaten into submission to just accept what they are being given and not retaliate, and to be quite frank, this is just fucked up.

I know, probably a load of drivel (the above) in regards to the discussion topic. However, this is where it boils back down. I have been brought up on Premier League Newcastle United. I am very lucky to have experienced such a decent spell in the clubs history. I know this. I'm not stupid. I know about people pissing money up the wall on has-beens. I know we have had horrendous owners before.But does that mean I, or others, should sit back and accept the fact we no longer have any ambition or aspiration to be a competitive sporting institution?

Our stadium smacks of this mentality. I don't condone rioting or illegal acts, but you can barely speak out without being shouted down by the older generations or the club. The youngsters who shout people down probably know no better, and just don't want to hear people 'dissing' their club. This is the point in time where the older and wiser should be guiding the demoralised youths and saying "I remember when it was shite under such and such, and it made me feel..."

Because this is what is important, the feeling that was experienced then. Not the statistics, or rose-tinted views of what was.

The club to us all, despite our views on Ashley, is of massive importance to us, or we wouldn't be debating over a fucking internet forum like it was some sort of war council. Whether you be Black, White, or Yellow. English, American or Scottish it means a great deal to us all. The club for most, is representative of our homeland. Our region. Our people. That's why for me NUFC will never be dead, and nor will I stand by and watch it die because that's not what 'we' do.

So let people be angry, guide them in how to spend their time, money and emotion wisely and lets not worry about what could have been (Pompey, Leeds., etc.). Lets aspire to be the best. Because that's what represents our homeland, and those that hold it dear.

I generally agree with Rangers Pack's post there about the problems in football in general. Only thing I don't have is any hope that we can progress under Ashley.

Fair do's, I fucking despise Rangers btw, jolly jape by some child that name change.

Zzzzzz

Insightful, thanks for that.

I had hope about three years ago that what he was attempting to build was a sustainable slow growth model that would see us as competitive over a long period of time. But having been burnt about fourteen times by the fat c*** since then, I have since learned that such a thing isn't his goal. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence has come to the same conclusion, and anyone with a hint of backbone doesn't just accept it like a little bitch.

It's nowt to do with accepting anything like a little bitch, or a lack of intelligence, there's a HUGE number of people who quite simply just like to go and watch a game of football.

That's what it used to be about for just about everyone, it was only about the match on a Saturday because if you didn't go you didn't see it (now of course that's the match on any given day of the week at a time decided by a TV company).

I generally agree with Rangers Pack's post there about the problems in football in general. Only thing I don't have is any hope that we can progress under Ashley.

I still entertain the possibility of good times. Lets see what route they take with the head coach position, but if we continue to bring in decent quality and the odd top player then the football on offer can be positive and if that means winning games, some sort of success is always potentially just a season away. I don't see him letting the club fail financially, so whether under him or others, the springboard to move on remains even if the willingness isn't.

I also take small positives from our player recruitment. If we were so determined just to tread water and stay in the safety zone of 8th to 14th why do we flirt with the danger of not replacing players sold with solid if dull Premier cloggers, instead fucking around waiting for rated foreigners, or dropping 12m on a risk like Cabella. To me, even if it was purely based around generating future sales (which we seem to be pretty shit at tbh), it adds some interest and the chance to see the odd gem on the pitch.

If Carver gets the gig or the next guy also hasn't the balls to persuade them to not negatively fuck with the team halfway through the season and have some flexibility in bringing targets in early if required, it'll be a struggle for anyone to get behind the project again, but I think it can work.

#teamdelusion :yeah:

Not sure how the 1970s are relevant to Mike Ashley considering 4 decades have passed since and we had a spell in between where the potential and status of the club was expanded exponentially at the same time that football did in this country and globally. We rode the PL boom and the club was transformed from what it was previously. Ashley is judged on the fact that as a sporting, financial and community institution the club have gone backwards from the point of him taking over. Judging the club against what it was in the 70s is a nonsense because of what happened inbetween, I'm really not sure how that isn't patently obvious tbh. Ashley is the worst person ever to be associated with the club and is making the least out of the situation he inherited (unless you're happy with Sports Direct's success).

Came to say pretty much the same thing. Everything else aside we're established in a league that pays historic, record amounts of money to clubs just for being in it and there are 50,000 fans walking through the gates every game. Despite everything being in our favour we are actively choosing to not compete and instead run the club on a shoestring.

70's or 80's are absolutely beyond irrelevant to 2015 and Ashley.

I had hope about three years ago that what he was attempting to build was a sustainable slow growth model that would see us as competitive over a long period of time. But having been burnt about fourteen times by the fat c*** since then, I have since learned that such a thing isn't his goal. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence has come to the same conclusion, and anyone with a hint of backbone doesn't just accept it like a little bitch.

It's nowt to do with accepting anything like a little bitch, or a lack of intelligence, there's a HUGE number of people who quite simply just like to go and watch a game of football.

That's what it used to be about for just about everyone, it was only about the match on a Saturday because if you didn't go you didn't see it (now of course that's the match on any given day of the week at a time decided by a TV company).

Oh definitely m8. It's just something to do. Gan watch a kickabout, might as well pay 45 quid to do it. Why not. Might even win once in a while.

"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s about going to watch a game of football, and hopefully winning more of those than losing I reckon."

Brings a tear to my eye every time.

Guest Rustin Cohle

"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s about attempting to build a sustainable slow growth model that would see us as competitive over a long period of time.."

TBF that quote could equally suggest that fans should keep going and enjoy the match. "11 against 11 at the end of the day", and all that jazz.

Obviously Bobby's intention would never be to justify lack of ambition, but I doubt he would criticise people too much who can get enjoyment from their Saturday at the match, hope to win rather than lose, and choose not to think too much about ownership and transfers etc.