NUFC Sporting Ambition

Minhosa

When you've got a club that blatantly disregards cup competitions, that actively seeks to avoid European competitions due to an aversion to squad investment/risk to their premiership status and that actively seeks to finish '10th' it can only lead to one question......

What is the point of the modern day NUFC?

I've got two sons who have geordie blood coursing their veins, with no choice of football club, and yet I've got nothing to give them by way of hope, nothing to give them by way of positives.

How am I supposed to maintain my families long-standing history of support of NUFC going, through my children, now that we've got no ambition?

My only 'sell' to them now is our history. I show them videos of Beardsley, of the entertainers, of KK and SBR but that's getting older by the day and any hope of a competitive NUFC seems less likely by the day.

It's hard to blame them though Hans. My kids used to love Cabaye and HBA. They could almost live with the lack of ambition when you had a maverick like HBA to cling on to. He was worth turning up for.

If Cabella suddenly turns into a world beater, a £30m midfield dynamo next season, do I let them pretend they're him when they're playing in the garden knowing that he'll be flogged and they'll be gutted, driving them further away from the shithouse that is NUFC?

I've mentioned before, there's a bloke at work with a son who's about 9 or 10. The bloke is Boro through and through but his son was born and bred here so naturally supported Newcastle, and his dad always said that was fine with him.

About 18 months ago, photos started popping up on Facebook of them going to Boro, with the lad newly kitted out with shirt and scarf. I asked his dad about it and it turns out his son had asked to go. Now they go regularly.

Obviously it helps that Boro are doing well at the moment but the Premier League is not the be-all and end-all. Far more important to have a club you can be proud of that are constantly striving to improve. No child, no matter where they come from, can possibly be inspired by this shower.

I've mentioned before, there's a bloke at work with a son who's about 9 or 10. The bloke is Boro through and through but his son was born and bred here so naturally supported Newcastle, and his dad always said that was fine with him.

About 18 months ago, photos started popping up on Facebook of them going to Boro, with the lad newly kitted out with shirt and scarf. I asked his dad about it and it turns out his son had asked to go. Now they go regularly.

Obviously it helps that Boro are doing well at the moment but the Premier League is not the be-all and end-all. Far more important to have a club you can be proud of that are constantly striving to improve. No child, no matter where they come from, can possibly be inspired by this shower.

That's it Wullie, I thought that exact thing when I was writing the OP.................'would it matter, to them, if we were in League 2 and trying?'

The answer, a resounding no.

I could get them to buy in to that because that's what sport is about.

These cybertears are all a bit premature. Our newly appointed hotshot up-and-coming English manager didn't just say we were aiming for top half, he even intimated we might try to push on as high as NINTH or even EIGHTH!

Getting a nosebleed just thinking about it.

There is no point, it's partly NUFC's fault and partly the structure of football itself that has changed.

Just try to enjoy the 90 minutes as much as possible I suppose, and don't think about the bigger picture. Or start watching a different sport.

I get that football has changed, of course, but I find it hard to comprehend that Spurs, Saints etc can have good seasons just by showing a genuine drive.

For me, it's all NUFC's fault.

These cybertears are all a bit premature. Our newly appointed hotshot up-and-coming English manager didn't just say we were aiming for top half, he even intimated we might try to push on as high as NINTH or even EIGHTH!

:lol: There we have it, I'll tell the little gits to get back in their box or follow a sovereign state.

Guest alijmitchell

I've thought about this a lot as well. I don't have any kids at present, but live in Glasgow, and if me and the girlfriend have kids eventually, the granddad is a Rangers fan. How fucking uninspiring for any kids though, Rangers or Newcastle. Grim. Part of the reason I don't really attend that many games anymore is the travel + cost + the lack of any sporting ambition. I can imagine it being fun to go down the first few times, but eventually, you'd be wondering why you're bothering to spend all that cash.

Not even sure what I would do if/when I have kids.  I'm already one step removed as my parents (and grandparents etc) are from Newcastle but I'm not.  I have had direct ties to Newcastle all my life - no idea how I would convince/bully my kids into supporting us.  I don't think I could cope if they started supporting a London club.

I often used to daydream about taking my son or daughter to the match. Child number one on the way in a matter of weeks and I can honestly say the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Come to think of it the grandparents have been buying baby clothes like crazy the last couple of months and there's nothing at all in black and white stripes. That's surprising to say the least.

It's not the club it's the owner that is the problem. Like I say, things will change.  Ashley and his cronies won't be here for ever.  Cancel your season ticket, fine; don't spend any money on merchandise, fine.  But people should still be proud to be a supporter of a fantastic football club.

WOW WTF  - the midget got AMBiTIONS  :frantic:

My son is 3 months old and I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to force NUFC on him. Don't even know if I want to.

His grandfather (on her side) is a massive Man U fan, just painfully shit to listen to talking about football, and it'll break my heart to see him growing up cheering for them but it's heading in that direction. Either that or my brother will get to him... and he'll become a Liverpool fan.  :(

Need something to happen in the next few years. G'wan Fat Mike, die of aids you fat cunt.

I have an 18 month son, my daughter is 11 and has no interest in sport whatsover, so handing down my football passion flows to him. I've been trying to ingrain Newcastle United on him, he's even pointing to crest on the shirts I wear and saying "cassell". My mum sent him a full kit for Christmas. It's more difficult for me to ensure he becomes a Newcastle fan being across the pond.

I really couldn't bear the thought of him growing up following the likes of Man City/United or Arsenal/Chelsea however what kind of parent does that make me ? Why should I subject him to the hurt and continual disappointment of following such a non event as NUFC is, all because his father was born and bred in the city.

It's pretty hard to preach the NUFC message when you can't even be bothered to go yourself. I always will of course and my kids are proud of the city. But the football club? How can you be proud of that? It feels like a chore watching it, albeit not as bad as Pardew's reign of terror. I'm still not that arsed about losing games and that's when you know something is badly wrong.