NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

It's as cynical as it gets; exploiting the massive interest in football shirts has gradually become normalised over the last twenty years. Personalisation was the start, then blank backs, cheaper materials, going from a shirt every two years to every one, multiple kits a year, dumbing down the iconography, player version vs fan version. Could go on, really. 

I think this kit is okay but I honestly think expectations have absolutely plummeted over time, too. If this one came along immediately after 01-03, for instance, people would be wondering wtf had happened. There certainly wouldn't have been a queue to Haymarket.

Aye, it was around about then when they started bringing out the 3rd shirts, which I’ve never been a fan of. When they first brought them out for us, they got away with calling it a European away kit, then later a cup kit as we stopped getting into Europe, and then a generic 3rd kit marker.

Most teams play in either red or blue, and if you an established Premier League club, you have a pretty good idea of who you are going to play against the following season.

I remember a few years ago Norwich brought out 3 kits, all of them the same shade of Yellow and Green.

I think Southampton had 4 versions of their home kit last season, plus the women's. Their women's team is sponsored by Starling Bank, so they offered their shirt available with both Sponsors, and had the players edition, and the fan edition.

The difference between players and the shirt the fans wore started around them as well. In Europe especially the number and lettering would be different, the material lighter. People then apparently wanted the exact detail the players had, this has changed massively in recent years to have very noticeable differences. Next year 1 club will have 3 different version of their home shirt (Roma I believe). They will have their players version, the fans version, and a cheaper option that is diluted a lot more, that will still be about £40-£60 though.

In the NHL things have taken a more alarming twist. Fanatics now have the contract for replica kits, so an NHL shirt which costs more than what our players edition shirts costs, will have the Fanatics logo on. You have to spend over $300 to get the official players version that has the Adidas logos instead, and presumably the Adidas stripes. Imagine paying over £100 for what would effectively be a Scoredraw version of our 1996 shirts.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I can understand people wanting a players 'authentic' version, with same material, etc. But this is the first time I can remember there being actual design differences between the authentic and replicas - i.e. the collar on these, as slight as it is.

Obviously no-one is forced to buy both versions, and most people will probably choose one or the other.

On 3rd kits, the first I remember, and being released for sale was that Asics Green with blue pin strip one, when we have the clash with Sheffield Wednesday. Then obviously a few years laetr it became the norm across all clubs, as you say called a 'European' kit, but I;d guess clubs not in europe may have had them too.

Edited by TK-421

Posted (edited)

Yeah looks like most Adidas clubs have the tiro pro template for the keepers. Gone are the days of bespoke Tyne bridge sunsets. :sad:

Edited by TK-421

50 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Yeah looks like most Adidas clubs have the tiro pro template for the keepers. Gone are the days of bespoke Tyne bridge sunsets. :sad:

That was re-used in an adapted way. (Not disagreeing with you, just adding). Don't know if there were any more apart from us and Rangers

f190fd3c6ac0e9cc660f6c7f7e36c7ca.jpg

5 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

this regular and player version is niggling me a bit.  

A replica shirt should be a replica of the players shirt.  Playing 80 quid for a shirt that, although nice, is not the players shirt doesn’t feel right.  So then to actually get a replica it costs 110 quid.  I get inflation and all but I’m old and 40 quid always felt about right.  60-80 ok I get it things are more expensive. But 110 is expensive!

anyway it’s just a a niggle. I went for the players version as ı preferred the look of it.  I guess as long as everyone knows what they’re buying it’s not a big deal.  And the video was class!

Does feel like a piss take. It wasn’t a thing when I was a kid so I’m not sure when it snook in. 

Kids will be kids, there will be a bit of the have and have nots with this for the secondary school age. The shirt should unite people, this feels like a dividing thing. 

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

It's as cynical as it gets; exploiting the massive interest in football shirts has gradually become normalised over the last twenty years. Personalisation was the start, then blank backs, cheaper materials, going from a shirt every two years to every one, multiple kits a year, dumbing down the iconography, player version vs fan version. Could go on, really. 

I think this kit is okay but I honestly think expectations have absolutely plummeted over time, too. If this one came along immediately after 01-03, for instance, people would be wondering wtf had happened. There certainly wouldn't have been a queue to Haymarket.

It's not as much how it looks, but rather what it represents I reckon.

Will buy the kit this year for the first time since 2010.

10 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

Does feel like a piss take. It wasn’t a thing when I was a kid so I’m not sure when it snook in. 

Kids will be kids, there will be a bit of the have and have nots with this for the secondary school age. The shirt should unite people, this feels like a dividing thing. 

I'm sure it's been a thing for quite a while. I remember winning a few player shirts when I was younger and there was definitely a difference between the ones I had bought from the stores. I just don't think the player issued ones were ever sold?

I'm still not even sure if they sell them for kids sizes, just assumed there was only one version for kids?

The 'replica' ones generally have a better fit for most average fans and are much more durable, plus have embroidered badges etc. I wouldn't class them as a lesser version.

The player issues are designed purely for performance and to be as light as possible. They are genuinely paper thin which is why you see them ripped and destroyed so easily in games. 

I really can't see it causing any sort of divide, like. The replica version is what the majority of fans will be wearing. 

11 minutes ago, Consettmag said:

Anyone heard if there’ll be an authentic long sleeved version?

Someone mentioned back end of the year I’m sure

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I was at the kit launch in 98/99.  There was a queue down to the old Gallowgate bus station, with a light show and Ant and Dec playing a human sized game of table foosball under the Gallowgate - me and a couple of mates joined in.  If anything it reduced over the years - this launch felt like the late ‘90s again.

The materials and manufacturing were always cheap; part of the ‘Toongate’ scandal was Hall and Shepherd taking the piss out of fans paying £40 for shirts which cost £5 to make.  There was always a difference between fan and player kits - which is why they were ‘replica shirts’.  Personalisation began in ‘92.

Completely agree re reducing the gaps between new tops from two years to one. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

14 minutes ago, Consettmag said:

Anyone heard if there’ll be an authentic long sleeved version?

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Someone mentioned back end of the year I’m sure

I think the supporters trust said there wasn't going to be one?

Posted (edited)

Clearly ignorant in this matter but what is the actual difference between the replica and players version?

Why is it even an option?

Surely anyone one less than blind can tell that if it's a newcastle shirt?

I got a knockoff one in turkey so my son could play in the pool without having to be covered in suncream....its so obviously fake it even has "Saudia" as the sponsor, but the badge is embroidered and better quality than the castore ones, but it's still so obviously Newcastle, that no-one even noticed it was a fake until we stumbled across a local at the airport

And tbh looks better than what Adidas have churned out for us

Edited by gjohnson

39 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I think the supporters trust said there wasn't going to be one?

image.png
might have been this I was thinking of. Think it was possibly bullshit anyway 

Doing my bit to back the club, picked up a home shirt with Isak on the back along with some other merch. 210USD for everything but will be worth it.